Sign in with
Your question

Please Critique this online-built GAMER

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2007 6:02:52 AM

Hello,
I'm really, really new to customizing computers. Have bought my computers from places like Best Buy for years (I know, I know... SHAME!) But I think I've put together a good setup here. HOWEVER, I'm real shaky as to compatability... really confused. Please critique! Tell me what doesn't fit, or what would be a much better substitute!!!! Attempting to build a really solid base GAMER COMPUTER, where I could add in things later on if really needed.

I plan on purchasing everything from Newegg.com. First I will list the combo I am leaning towards, then afterwards I will list the parts I have been considering substituting in (or adding on). Whatever flows with the system best I will go with! If the original setup works however, I think I'm most likely to go with it.

Case - XCLIO ATX Full Tower *Comes with free CPU fan

Motherboard - ASUS CROSSHAIR, chipset NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP
OS - Microsoft Vista 32-bit Home Premium Netegg.com only had 32-bit Vista listed under compatable OS for my motherboard? Not sure if that's true, or even if I want 64-bit Vista. Whatever is better for gaming!
CPU - Taken from my old computer, AMD X2 4200+ 2.2GHz (sorta slow compared to the rest, but I'm assuming it would still flourish with it's surrounding parts).
RAM - 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2-6400).... 4GB total
Hard Drive - Taken from my old computer, a 320GB drive

Graphic card(s) - With two PCI-E slots on the motherboard, I want to take full advantage. I believe it is called crossfire? Using two cards? I have a small dilemma however... but this is what I'm thinking of doing...
Taken from my old computer, an ATi Radeon X1950Pro 256mb
Buying an additional X1950Pro 256mb, but would POWERCOLOR, still an X1950Pro, be compatible? I understand that if two video cards are to be used simultaneously, the cards need to be identical. My leftover X1950 is straight from ATi, bought at BestBuy. The double I would buy is made through POWERCOLOR, with a huge fan on it or whatnot. Despite not being identical, would they still work together? Because of the actual graphic insides? Both X1950Pro GPU's? Just don't want to assume too much!

That is basically all the main components of what I'm looking at! Will it all work together though? No idea how to find out...
And, here are some considerations I am also looking at. Please do tell if any of these fit much better than what I have selected!
Graphic cards-
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit I was looking into this card due to the reviews. It appears to be a great card, and if 1 of these comes close to the dual processing of both of the X1950Pro cards, then I will consider going with this. Would be real cool if I eventually double up on them!
Or
Buying TWO of the 512mb version of POWERCOLOR Radeon1950Pro 512mb totalling over 1GB. With the current setup I'm looking at, I have 2 x 256mb X1950Pro cards. If I go with this, it sounds so much better, but I feel as if there is something I'm missing here... because the price difference between the 256mb version and the 512mb version are just too close! If the 1GB total will really outperform the 512mb total though, I'll do it!

And of course, contemplating a faster CPU -
AMD 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz

AND ONE LAST THING.... the only thing I have yet to look into is a power supply. What wattage will be sufficient in this case? Thanks!

So please tell me what you think works best out of these parts! I really don't know how well I pieced these together, but I did the best my noobish contruction-skills would allow! Honestly do appreciate the help! I'm actually looking to buy this tommarow, to get things running, if I get the GO from you guys.
Sincerely,
Harry
June 15, 2007 6:41:57 AM

Are you planning to do this all at once or would a little at a time work.
The CPU is fine for now. Good RAM, HDD is fine. Case is up to you, as long as you DO NOT get a PSU with it. You have a 1950 now. I would live with it for a couple months, and see what happens in DX-10 cards, They are bringing out new stuff that will whup 2 1950's butt and be in the $300 range. Second choice get a 8800, almost the same a 2 1950s and less hassle and power draw.
Psu I would get a good 500W model, but if you are stuck on 2 Video cards go up a notch.
I would go with Vista home premium/32 bit. Best version for gamers.
June 15, 2007 7:01:16 AM

Hey alcattle,
Thanks for the reply... REAL good info there, AND things that I wanted to see, sounds great. I WANT to do it all at once, but good points you have there.. I will wait and build accordingly with the new products!
A bit confused though from your reply... I do not know what you mean by do not buy a "PSU" with the case.
I think you are referring to a 'power supply unit'? Still sort of new to the abbreviations!

From what I think I understand, you are telling me not to buy the case along with a built in power supply. Buy one separate for install. And something that is at least 500W?

If I read it right, it sounds good to me. If you would, could you recommend a good brand to go with? After reading some reviews on newegg.com, I've come to realize some of these supplies fail out after just a few months. I'd probably go with something in the 700 range, in the event that I would upgrade to a faster processor and a second video card.

But all in all, this is what I'll go with! THANKS A LOT!

THANKS FOR THE INFO!
Harry
Former complete computer-noob, future sudo-noob
Related resources
June 15, 2007 7:24:19 AM

Got Game? Then the ASUS Crosshair is the system board for you. Sporting an AM2 socket that supports the AMD Athlon 64 X2, Athlon 64 FX, Athlon 64, and Sempron processors and 4 DIMM slots that will take up to 8GB of DDR2 800 memory this board will handle whatever you throw at it. The 2 PCI-E x16 slots will handle 2 identical NVIDIA SLI capable video cards at full x16 speed. Dual Gigabit LAN controllers support NVIDIA DualNet technology.

The SupremeFX and Array Microphone are designed to give you crystal clear sound with no buzzing or noise when talking with your teammates online. The DTS Connect feature re-codes your stereo or multi-channel sound into a DTS audio signal and sends it out from your PC to any DTS enabled system.

In order to get you up and gaming faster ASUS built a number of handy features into the board such as EL I/O which lights up your back panel connections, on-board LEDs to help you setup without using a flashlight, an LCD Poster to let you know of any errors during post and an on-board switch to make overclocking and other system adjustments easier.

Your Crossfire (ATI) will not work on this motherboard, it has a nVidia SLI chipset.
June 15, 2007 7:33:01 AM

Darn, I'm partially an idiot, and partially a moron for assuming... I linked the crossfire term towards this motherboard and the SLI dual terms... thanks for clearing that up! SAVED ME BIG TIME!

Now does this mean that it will not support my ATi X1950 Pro at all? Or just cannot support dual... I don't really have a problem in getting an 8800GTS if it doesn't support it at all(which I'm guessing is the case)!!!!

What should I do?

Thanks man,
Harry
June 15, 2007 7:38:48 AM

Hey man,
Great link! Appreciate it...

As to overclocking, lol, I do not wish to do so. I sort of understand it, but not nearly enough to do it... YET. Still learning... never really had time before to sit down and figure out what I can safely (or moreso intelligently) bring my system to. Too much reading ahead of me before I even think of overclocking!
June 15, 2007 7:41:31 AM

Second time tonight someone has gotten the SLI/Crossfire thing mixed up. :?

A single ATI card will work on a nVidia chipset board, but nVidia chipsets are made for nVidia GPUs.
June 15, 2007 7:46:12 AM

Yes, just actually went through that thread just a minute ago! US NOOBS STRIKE IN NUMBERS!!!

I think I'm going to go with the 640MB GTS, just because it's roughly $100 more than the 320MB version. Around $330 on newegg.com, and on ebay I think I can get ~120 for my X1950.
Maybe, in the future, I'll get some crazy CPU and double down with another 640MB GTS. On that day... I CALL YOU THE NOOBS!
lol, obviously joking... takes way too long for me to learn this stuff
June 15, 2007 7:53:57 AM

We all were n00bs at one time, you'll like the 8800GTS it is a great card. If I were you though I would really look into what Intel has to offer with the Core2Duo. Better bang for your buck IMO. :wink:
June 15, 2007 8:00:33 AM

Quote:
We all were n00bs at one time, you'll like the 8800GTS it is a great card. If I were you though I would really look into what Intel has to offer with the Core2Duo. Better bang for your buck IMO. :wink:

You are right, I should look into. All I've ever owned has been AMD, so I must be subject to bias. At the moment, I'm just over the $1k mark, including a slow/med processor. So I'm eyeballin' the 'bang for the buck' idea lol.
June 15, 2007 9:18:35 AM

LOL I hear you, believe me, 6 months ago, I was a dumb N00B. When I get the uber machine done, I will post the original post. So much has changed :lol: 
June 15, 2007 11:27:10 AM

Quote:
Hello,
I'm really, really new to customizing computers. Have bought my computers from places like Best Buy for years (I know, I know... SHAME!) But I think I've put together a good setup here. HOWEVER, I'm real shaky as to compatability... really confused. Please critique! Tell me what doesn't fit, or what would be a much better substitute!!!! Attempting to build a really solid base GAMER COMPUTER, where I could add in things later on if really needed.

I plan on purchasing everything from Newegg.com. First I will list the combo I am leaning towards, then afterwards I will list the parts I have been considering substituting in (or adding on). Whatever flows with the system best I will go with! If the original setup works however, I think I'm most likely to go with it.

Case - XCLIO ATX Full Tower *Comes with free CPU fan

Motherboard - ASUS CROSSHAIR, chipset NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP
OS - Microsoft Vista 32-bit Home Premium Netegg.com only had 32-bit Vista listed under compatable OS for my motherboard? Not sure if that's true, or even if I want 64-bit Vista. Whatever is better for gaming!
CPU - Taken from my old computer, AMD X2 4200+ 2.2GHz (sorta slow compared to the rest, but I'm assuming it would still flourish with it's surrounding parts).
RAM - 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2-6400).... 4GB total
Hard Drive - Taken from my old computer, a 320GB drive

Graphic card(s) - With two PCI-E slots on the motherboard, I want to take full advantage. I believe it is called crossfire? Using two cards? I have a small dilemma however... but this is what I'm thinking of doing...
Taken from my old computer, an ATi Radeon X1950Pro 256mb
Buying an additional X1950Pro 256mb, but would POWERCOLOR, still an X1950Pro, be compatible? I understand that if two video cards are to be used simultaneously, the cards need to be identical. My leftover X1950 is straight from ATi, bought at BestBuy. The double I would buy is made through POWERCOLOR, with a huge fan on it or whatnot. Despite not being identical, would they still work together? Because of the actual graphic insides? Both X1950Pro GPU's? Just don't want to assume too much!

That is basically all the main components of what I'm looking at! Will it all work together though? No idea how to find out...
And, here are some considerations I am also looking at. Please do tell if any of these fit much better than what I have selected!
Graphic cards-
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit I was looking into this card due to the reviews. It appears to be a great card, and if 1 of these comes close to the dual processing of both of the X1950Pro cards, then I will consider going with this. Would be real cool if I eventually double up on them!
Or
Buying TWO of the 512mb version of POWERCOLOR Radeon1950Pro 512mb totalling over 1GB. With the current setup I'm looking at, I have 2 x 256mb X1950Pro cards. If I go with this, it sounds so much better, but I feel as if there is something I'm missing here... because the price difference between the 256mb version and the 512mb version are just too close! If the 1GB total will really outperform the 512mb total though, I'll do it!

And of course, contemplating a faster CPU -
AMD 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz

AND ONE LAST THING.... the only thing I have yet to look into is a power supply. What wattage will be sufficient in this case? Thanks!

So please tell me what you think works best out of these parts! I really don't know how well I pieced these together, but I did the best my noobish contruction-skills would allow! Honestly do appreciate the help! I'm actually looking to buy this tommarow, to get things running, if I get the GO from you guys.
Sincerely,
Harry

Is that old CPU a socket 939 or AM2. If it is 939 then you must use a compatible board that used DDR1, while if it is AM2, then your setup will be fine.

I would keep the CPU, get a Crossfire board and another 256mb X1950Pro for $125 after MIR on the egg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Make sure you have at least 2gigs of ram, a good PSU (Corsair HX520 is very good), a decent (not XCilio case with plenty of cooling), and thats it.

Need deals? go to my thread in my sig
June 15, 2007 5:16:02 PM

Quote:
Just because it's XClio-made doesn't make it bad. It probably has better cooling than 99% of other cases, too. Techpowerup gives it a 9.5/10 (The A+ Case Twin Engine is the exact same thing as the A380). Not to mention the CNPS9700 free with combo purchase, alone worth ~$50. He'll be pretty set for cooling.

no noise isolation from the components though... its pretty much open in the front and side.

idk.. cases are a personal choice
June 15, 2007 6:01:56 PM

Crazy case. 8)
!