I need a cheap copy of windows for new build

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I was wondering if there is any way I can get a cheap copy of xp/vista/w7 somehow? I just ordered the new parts for a build and dont have much money left to spend on software.. I need help big time.

thanks

Solution
If this is a new build what are you doing with the old pc?

Does it have a Windows operating system?

If it is not an OEM Windows release you should be able to transfer it to the new pc.

I believe this is legitimate so long as the old system no longer runs it. You will probably need to re-register the OS to the new pc by giving Microsoft a call.

Most of all make sure the EULA allows this before you start. You may need to research a little, or other TOM's contributors may be able to clarify further.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
If this is a new build what are you doing with the old pc?

Does it have a Windows operating system?

If it is not an OEM Windows release you should be able to transfer it to the new pc.

I believe this is legitimate so long as the old system no longer runs it. You will probably need to re-register the OS to the new pc by giving Microsoft a call.

Most of all make sure the EULA allows this before you start. You may need to research a little, or other TOM's contributors may be able to clarify further.

Solution
There are often discounts through schools for college students. Other than that, you could look for an OEM version. They often run $85 - $110.

Yes, if you have windows installed on an old hard drive, you can try booting off that drive in your new system. Though, you may need to do a repair install to get it booting.