Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I need a cheap copy of windows for new build

Last response: in Windows Vista
January 11, 2010 5:26:40 AM

I was wondering if there is any way I can get a cheap copy of xp/vista/w7 somehow? I just ordered the new parts for a build and dont have much money left to spend on software.. I need help big time.

thanks
January 11, 2010 6:04:21 AM

Poor budgeting! You could always use Linux.
m
l
January 11, 2010 6:27:13 AM

My brother is new to computers and only knows xp :( (((( whats the cheapest windows os I can get?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 11, 2010 11:35:25 AM

If this is a new build what are you doing with the old pc?

Does it have a Windows operating system?

If it is not an OEM Windows release you should be able to transfer it to the new pc.

I believe this is legitimate so long as the old system no longer runs it. You will probably need to re-register the OS to the new pc by giving Microsoft a call.

Most of all make sure the EULA allows this before you start. You may need to research a little, or other TOM's contributors may be able to clarify further.
January 11, 2010 3:35:26 PM

There are often discounts through schools for college students. Other than that, you could look for an OEM version. They often run $85 - $110.

Yes, if you have windows installed on an old hard drive, you can try booting off that drive in your new system. Though, you may need to do a repair install to get it booting.
m
l
!