Vista memory issue

Hi,

I wonder if you can assist with a strange issue. I own a dell XPS M1730 laptop w/ 4 gigs ram (512 mb 8800m GTX sli). Recently I have had some issues which forced me to use the dell factory restore option. It worked great but I noticed the memory available to windows vista 32 bit has changed. I have 4 gig ram installed & I know vista can’t address/utilize all of this. However pre-restore Vista always reported approx 3.26 gigs memory but now it says just 3.070 gigs. I am baffled as to where approx 190 m/b ram have gone? I tried the restore again and the same thing happened. I have service pack 1 which under system properties does say 4 gig ram but if you look under the bonnet only 3.07 is now available to vista. Finding it a bit frustrating. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? I have service pack 1 which under system properties does say 4 gig ram but if you look under the bonnet only 3.07 is now available to vista.

Thanks in advance,
Wayne
1 answer Last reply
More about vista memory issue
  1. This is happening because the copy of vista on your computer is 32bit, there are loads of threads with the fix for getting 4gb to address in a 32bit environment.

Have a search!
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Windows Vista Memory