My first LCD monitor. Should i get this one?

PANFACE

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Hi All,
I'm going to get my first LCD monitor next month and would appreciate some advice. I will be using it for gaming, gaming more gaming and a bit of programme watching but mostly gaming.
I'm not loaded and would like a 22" monitor. I noticed the CHIMEI CMV 221D-NBC had good gaming review and is reasonably priced at about $250

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824252008

Any thoughts on this or can suggest any other monitor for no more than $300.
Thanks for your time,
Panface.

haha103

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Maybe u can put your self in a Monitor Shop so that you can make some comparison of your preliminary targets.

Samsung, AOC, Philips, Viewsonic, CHIMEI, HP, Dell are all offering 22-inch
Monitor under $300 with TN panel.

drew455

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Although i do not know the quality of CHIMEI monitors, i would say its a pretty safe bet. Just remember that with all lcd monitors theres a chance you could get dead and or stuck pixels, no matter what company you decide to go with.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hi All,
I'm going to get my first LCD monitor next month and would appreciate some advice. I will be using it for gaming, gaming more gaming and a bit of programme watching but mostly gaming.
I'm not loaded and would like a 22" monitor. I noticed the CHIMEI CMV 221D-NBC had good gaming review and is reasonably priced at about $250

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824252008

Any thoughts on this or can suggest any other monitor for no more than $300.
Thanks for your time,
Panface.

http://shop4.outpost.com/%7BREE9YzpmnpkMRRQ1BfOkDQ**.node3%7D/product/5065285;jsessionid=REE9YzpmnpkMRRQ1BfOkDQ**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
best deal on 22" LCDs out there

Viewsonic $199

phassat

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Dell 22" is a good one... It probably a bit over $300... Samsung 226BW is still expensive at $400, so I would recommend dell...

I can't get you a link where to buy it as we are in different country... but I found out that dell just made price cut on their 22" and the street price is up to $350

EDIT:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001236
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001083
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001096

The last one is my reccomendation.... It's samsung 226BW (2ms 8O wow) but you'll have to spend US$20 more than your budget....

I envy you of the fact that you can get Samsung 226BW for $320... I just checked with my local dealer and the best I can get for this lcd in my country is US$500 at this moment.... Isn't it crazy or unfair to have almost $200 difference.... Hate that.... :evil:
I'm thinking of carry one with me from overseas during my business trip.... Anybody know the weight of this thing?

phassat

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
looking at the packaging slip of my samsung 226bw and it's 17 lbs. (7.7kg.)

Do you get the A, C, or S one? I heard that S always the best and no problem whatsoever and is stand for Samsung, South Korea. The C got most of the problem and sometimes there could be ghosting at the corner of the screen. Also there's a problem of color accuracy where the color default from the factory is terrible and impossible to fix. C stands for China and probably produced by Chi Mei.

EDIT:
the one produced by chi mei is not always bad.... Samsung got standard quality that need to be achieved by Chi Mei. However, as some of you guys may work at factory or aware that quality is always different if it comes from different factory. Samsung can minimize that with their standard operating procedure and quality control but it won't be perfect.

The claim rate for South Korea is basically nothing compared Chi Mei and some people dissatisfied with this LCD mostly for the one comes from Chi Mei

tahh

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Do you get the A, C, or S one? I heard that S always the best and no problem whatsoever and is stand for Samsung, South Korea. The C got most of the problem and sometimes there could be ghosting at the corner of the screen. Also there's a problem of color accuracy where the color default from the factory is terrible and impossible to fix. C stands for China and probably produced by Chi Mei.

Initially I didn't really believe the ACS thing so I got it anyway. I ended up with a C panel and between the top and the bottom of the screen is a very noticeable brightness difference. The top is fine, but the bottom is all but washed out. However there are no dead pixels and colors at the top are very nice, but the brightness difference is unacceptable. I'm holding off on RMA'ing it until I actually get it set up on the new comp I'm building and try and tweak it then (in a few days). For now, I'm on my 7-year old gateway with windows ME on a VGA connection so theres no point trying to make it work now, and it may even be the old comp thats causing the problem.

So I guess its possible that there really is no difference whatsoever between the three, but currently for me, I don't like it and it happens to be a C.

phassat

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007

Initially I didn't really believe the ACS thing so I got it anyway. I ended up with a C panel and between the top and the bottom of the screen is a very noticeable brightness difference. The top is fine, but the bottom is all but washed out. However there are no dead pixels and colors at the top are very nice, but the brightness difference is unacceptable. I'm holding off on RMA'ing it until I actually get it set up on the new comp I'm building and try and tweak it then (in a few days). For now, I'm on my 7-year old gateway with windows ME on a VGA connection so theres no point trying to make it work now, and it may even be the old comp thats causing the problem.

So I guess its possible that there really is no difference whatsoever between the three, but currently for me, I don't like it and it happens to be a C.

I heard from some friends who have the same problem as yours... the bottom screen is too bright and he's got a C as well... but other friends who own an S never seems have any problem whatsoever... and it's a fantastic screen... Unfortunately, most of the time you won't be able to choose which one to buy...

Having said that, if you know the computer store close enough, you might be able to ask them to look if they have any S one... A is worst case scenario.. I will do that if I'm going to buy this Samsung... Dell is on sale right now...

fletch420

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
i recently bought 2 samsung 931 syncmasters (2ms) as well as a 4061 HD TV and am loving all of them- samsung displays own period.

enjoy

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Looks to be a decent monitor.Similar specs to my acer.I'd definately buy that if I was looking for one.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE