Sign in with
Your question

Which is best

Last response: in Applications
December 9, 2010 4:37:05 PM

What is best to develop a system with java or .net?

More about : question

December 9, 2010 5:25:44 PM

depends on what kind of system

if it is a windows based application/program, i'd say .net
December 9, 2010 5:30:17 PM

windows based + online.
java is portable so I think it makes is better. which is cheap java or .net?
Related resources
a b L Programming
December 9, 2010 5:33:31 PM

Both are free. That's what I call cheap.

I'd go for .net. It has a far greater functionality for working with Windows than Java. And you can choose whichever programming language suits you. (C# would be my favourite.)
December 9, 2010 10:53:47 PM

C# ftw.
December 9, 2010 11:48:30 PM

i <3 c#
December 10, 2010 5:57:02 PM

The C# Language 'baby'..
+4.
a b L Programming
December 10, 2010 10:29:46 PM

Ijack said:
Both are free. That's what I call cheap.
Do you need any specific deployment platform for .NET web apps? Do you need to pay for them? How about the development tools? I'm really just asking, because I'm more of a Java developer. I know some tools (even in my Java world), although free for personal/academic use, can cost a lot if you want to create "professional" (even not-for-profit) applications. But from the little I know about .NET (and most of MS Tools/Tech), they do make stuff much easier on operators whether developers, syadmins or DBAs.
December 12, 2010 7:01:17 PM

Zenthar said:
Do you need any specific deployment platform for .NET web apps? Do you need to pay for them? How about the development tools? I'm really just asking, because I'm more of a Java developer. I know some tools (even in my Java world), although free for personal/academic use, can cost a lot if you want to create "professional" (even not-for-profit) applications. But from the little I know about .NET (and most of MS Tools/Tech), they do make stuff much easier on operators whether developers, syadmins or DBAs.

Microsoft offers an free version of their IDE's... Express I believe? There's also MonoDevelop for Linux.
a b L Programming
December 12, 2010 7:09:11 PM

Deployment of .NET web apps is easiest with an IIS web server, but with ASP.NET from the Mono project you can run them on Apache.

Development tools are free from Microsoft (or again the Mono project). If you like doing things the hard way you can do it all with notepad and the C# compiler (which is a free component of the .NET development platform), but as Pyroflea said, most people would plump for Visual Studio Express.

The beauty of .NET is the very rich framework that it supplies.
a b L Programming
December 12, 2010 8:21:15 PM

But isn't VS Express only for personal/academic use? If not, what would be the benefit of the "Pro" version?
a b L Programming
December 12, 2010 8:38:44 PM

From the Microsoft Visual Express FAQ:
Quote:
Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?

Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using Visual Studio Express Editions.

The Professional versions have more functionality than the Express versions.
a b L Programming
December 12, 2010 8:53:08 PM

Good to know, I always assumed it was more of a Office Home/Pro distinction that just the features :D 
a b L Programming
December 13, 2010 9:35:01 PM

In terms of the language features, C# for sure.

In terms of documentation, imho, Java blows C# out of the water.

Personally, i tend to code in java and c++ while in linux, and C# for anything windows related.
!