LiveandLaugh

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hello All,

I have both, an HP Windows Vista Laptop as well as a Dell Windows XP Desktop. Can anyone please tell me how I can view and/or play a DVD from my DVD drive? Do I need a certain Driver or something? I'm obviously missing something that needs to be installed and I am a total novice as to what I should do or where to go. I need instructions in lamens terms (step by step) and feel like a total idiot. I've been trying for answers for days! Can anyone please help!? :sweat:

windows xp requires codecs to play. if you purchase a dvd playing software this would work. i like cyberlink's power dvd.

i know windows 7's media player is able to play dvd movies without any downloads or purchases. since windows 7 is based on windows vista you might be able to as well.

however, even if it does... dvd playing software makes navigating through them so much easier!

LiveandLaugh

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

Thank you so much for your reply SSDDX.

Wow, I had no idea I'd have t BUY software to use that drive! Is there a place (link) to get this Codes that you mentioned that you could recommend to me that has no cost?

I don't have Windows 7 on either computer, so I'm now blown out of the water. Unfortunately, I am disabled and living on a very small monthly SSD check, so I guess that won't be happening! Obviously, I certainly can't afford a new computer either!

Any ideas/suggestions are certainly welcome! :wahoo:

did you check to see that your windows vista pc supports dvd nativley in windows media player? i said that it might because windows 7 is based on windows vista. this is a free option.

dvd player software is normally fairly cheap. i would say for around $30 you should be able to pick up a copy at a local store or online. this includes all of the files and codecs you need.

can you get codecs online to use windows media player? probably. i researched it a long time ago and the only things i found looked shady or wanted you to purchase them. i'm sure a solution exists but i never went that far into it.

freeware video player software exists as well but getting dvd playback codecs was the brick wall at the end of the tunnel on that software as well.

getting a trial/demo of powerdvd is a short term fix.

FLATBR0KE

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
BlazeDVD is the best DVD player software so they say, also if i remember correctly double check your dell with windows xp that may be only a CD reader writer and not a dvd reader player in which case you won't be able to use it for dvd's