Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Hello all,

I have a
P6N SLI Platinum
E6300
Artic Freezer 7 Pro
HD2900XT

I just have the 2900XT for a week now and since i have installed it my CPU gets way to hot. (i think)
I had it at 2.7 ghz and temps got to 68Cmax in TAT. idle it would have been around 48C.
Now since i have installed the card and a new PSU the temps are idle around 52C and ive seen it hit 70C max in TAT (!) :S witch i think is way to high. I had to remove the Freezer 2 times to install the PSU and i havent placed new Cooling paste (don't have it, thought it wouldnt be necessary)
Could it be that i have to place new cooling paste or is the 2900XT just rising up the temps in my case??

JaaP

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
oh yeah forgot to mention,

I now have everything clocked back to normal (1.8Ghz) to see what happens to the temps.....now its idle around 47C witch doesnt even make that much of a difference.....what should i do???

I have a Antec SLK2700BQE with 2 huge casefans, one in the front and one at the back

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
what was the temps before you installed the 2900

the 2900 gives off a fair amount of heat but just incase i would double check the seating of the HS you may have nudged something when installing the 2900

JaaP

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I had it at 2.7 ghz and temps got to 68Cmax in TAT. idle it would have been around 48C.

And i believe before i started clocking the temps were idle around ~40 degrees
I am almost certain i havent bumped anything when placing the cooler back, i have done that with a friend of mine and we were very careful....

JaaP

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Ok i have just ordered some Artic Silver 5 paste so i will apply that monday. In the meanwhile i have clocked my CPU to 2.45 Ghz @ 1.100 Volts, NB @ 1,3 Volts. Idle the temps again were around the 52C.

I have removed the side of my case and now temps are 45C idle and it gets to 63C max in TAT!! I think that would mean that i have a worthless airflow but i cant place any more casefans!!!

sailer

Splendid
I have removed the side of my case and now temps are 45C idle and it gets to 63C max in TAT!! I think that would mean that I have a worthless airflow but I cant place any more case fans!!!

Ok, now that bad airflow is established as a problem, if you can remove one of the PCI slot blades next to the video card, a PCI slot case cooler is made could solve your problem. New Egg has one, the "AOC FC-2000 PCI slot Case Cooler" and it costs only $4.99, so it isn't a high cost even if it doesn't work.