pc cant connect to internet on xp.. help plz

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
ok i know my internet works because i have another pc right beside this one which works... but for some reason my new pc isnt working... not really sure why it isnt working. its a A-dsl connection through telus in bc canada. i cant seem to get xp to recognize or rather, find the internet.. i really have no idea what the problem is.

any suggestions?

timby

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
OK

We need a little more info. See the following:

How is the PC that's working connected to the internet (via router, direct connect to a dsl/cable modem, etc)?

How is the working PC setup to get the IP address for the internet?

Are both PC using the same OS?

Without some additional info we are unable to address you issues with getting an internet connection...:>)

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
We need the information timby brought up before you can really be helped, in the mean time you can try some of the following:

You need to make sure you have your network drivers installed.
Right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the 'Hardware' tab.
Click 'Device Manager'.

Now see if there are any yellow question marks. If there is, you need to see what they are and install the proper drivers / controllers for them.

If you don't have any "?'s", go ahead and open your Control Panel, then open your 'Network Connections' (You can also click the 2 small computers in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen) and make sure that your 'Local Area Connection' doesn't have a red X or say disabled. (It would be greyed out or something - if it is, right-click it and select enable)