Looking for a good Micro ATX power supply, do they exist?

Hey,

I recently got a cool mATX case and decided to put my main rig in it that just happens to have a mATX mobo. All went well but I had to sit my ATX PSU outside the case because it only takes mATX PSU.

This isn't very practical but after having a look at the mATX PSU on the market I wasn't very impressed with the 300w or lower choice. Maybe I'm over estimating what I need because of the 550w PSU I'm using now

Could I get a Micro ATX power supply to run this:

1. AM2 X2 4200 (65w) OC'd to 2.42GHz
2. HHDs (1 SATA 1 IDE)
2. 512s of DDR2 800
2. 60mm fans
1. optical drive
1. 1xPCIe WiFi card

future upgrades:
another 2 512s of DDR2 800
maybe a PCI TV card
and a 8600GTS or a 2600XT (waiting on the benchmarks) Will be OC'ing the graphics card.

Any thoughts/ideas will be appreciated, Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about looking good micro power supply exist
  1. Well..I did some searching around and didn't see anything over 320w for mATX PSU's..

My main concern is that if you are planning on putting in a next-gen card, it probably wont fit in an mATX case. They are pretty huge. So having a PSU to power it wouldnt really help anyways...You'd be better off sticking with a mid-size case and keeping your current stuff. Otherwise..you could keep the PSU hanging outside of the case..probably not the best idea though :)
  2. Quote:
    Well..I did some searching around and didn't see anything over 320w for mATX PSU's..

My main concern is that if you are planning on putting in a next-gen card, it probably wont fit in an mATX case. They are pretty huge. So having a PSU to power it wouldnt really help anyways...You'd be better off sticking with a mid-size case and keeping your current stuff. Otherwise..you could keep the PSU hanging outside of the case..probably not the best idea though :)

I'm pretty sure that the graphics cards I'm looking at will fit.... Just.
    Quote:
    What you should have bought is a small form factor (SFF) case, not a matx case. A small form factor case will use a matx mobo and a regualar atx power supply.

I got it for free, what more can I say.
  3. get a Forton Source PSU
  4. You could buy the Thermaltake 250w Psu, that goes in a 5.25 front bay for around $60.00. But it needs you to have a Psu that hasa 24pin power connection.

Your other option is to buy a Mid Tower, they will work with your motherboard and some come with a Psu for under $100.00. Below is one example of each from NewEgg.

NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, that w/o a PSU ($49.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146025

or

JUST PC 707ATXBK Black / Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 550W ATX12V P4 SATA Power Supply $69.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811200036

But by getting one with a Psu, you do not know if it has enough wattage or amp to run your system correctly. Ranging in prices from $56 and up, p;us you also have to think about upgradability and SLi for the PSU. Good Luck...
  5. That wouldn't be too bad of an idea (getting the GPU dedicated PSU). Sucks that he'd have to buy two PSU's in that case.
  6. There is a Techsunny 450w mATX power suppy. There is a 470w Athena Power mATX supply from Newegg.com. Athena Power advertises a 550W mATX power supply on their web site but you cannot find it for sale anywhere.
  7. ^ 2 years late I'm afraid.
  8. Daredevil_8 said:
    Well..I did some searching around and didn't see anything over 320w for mATX PSU's..

I found mATX power supplies at tigerdirect.com that go up too 400w
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Power Supplies Cases ATX Systems Product