Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a good Micro ATX power supply, do they exist?

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2007 2:36:17 PM

Hey,

I recently got a cool mATX case and decided to put my main rig in it that just happens to have a mATX mobo. All went well but I had to sit my ATX PSU outside the case because it only takes mATX PSU.

This isn't very practical but after having a look at the mATX PSU on the market I wasn't very impressed with the 300w or lower choice. Maybe I'm over estimating what I need because of the 550w PSU I'm using now

Could I get a Micro ATX power supply to run this:

1. AM2 X2 4200 (65w) OC'd to 2.42GHz
2. HHDs (1 SATA 1 IDE)
2. 512s of DDR2 800
2. 60mm fans
1. optical drive
1. 1xPCIe WiFi card

future upgrades:
another 2 512s of DDR2 800
maybe a PCI TV card
and a 8600GTS or a 2600XT (waiting on the benchmarks) Will be OC'ing the graphics card.

Any thoughts/ideas will be appreciated, Thanks.

More about : good micro atx power supply exist

June 15, 2007 2:54:48 PM

Well..I did some searching around and didn't see anything over 320w for mATX PSU's..

My main concern is that if you are planning on putting in a next-gen card, it probably wont fit in an mATX case. They are pretty huge. So having a PSU to power it wouldnt really help anyways...You'd be better off sticking with a mid-size case and keeping your current stuff. Otherwise..you could keep the PSU hanging outside of the case..probably not the best idea though :) 
June 15, 2007 3:24:07 PM

Quote:
Well..I did some searching around and didn't see anything over 320w for mATX PSU's..

My main concern is that if you are planning on putting in a next-gen card, it probably wont fit in an mATX case. They are pretty huge. So having a PSU to power it wouldnt really help anyways...You'd be better off sticking with a mid-size case and keeping your current stuff. Otherwise..you could keep the PSU hanging outside of the case..probably not the best idea though :) 

I'm pretty sure that the graphics cards I'm looking at will fit.... Just.
Quote:
What you should have bought is a small form factor (SFF) case, not a matx case. A small form factor case will use a matx mobo and a regualar atx power supply.

I got it for free, what more can I say.
Related resources
June 15, 2007 4:18:58 PM

get a Forton Source PSU
June 15, 2007 5:05:00 PM

You could buy the Thermaltake 250w Psu, that goes in a 5.25 front bay for around $60.00. But it needs you to have a Psu that hasa 24pin power connection.

Your other option is to buy a Mid Tower, they will work with your motherboard and some come with a Psu for under $100.00. Below is one example of each from NewEgg.

NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, that w/o a PSU ($49.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

JUST PC 707ATXBK Black / Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 550W ATX12V P4 SATA Power Supply $69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But by getting one with a Psu, you do not know if it has enough wattage or amp to run your system correctly. Ranging in prices from $56 and up, p;us you also have to think about upgradability and SLi for the PSU. Good Luck...
June 15, 2007 5:14:40 PM

That wouldn't be too bad of an idea (getting the GPU dedicated PSU). Sucks that he'd have to buy two PSU's in that case.
June 18, 2009 5:24:18 AM

There is a Techsunny 450w mATX power suppy. There is a 470w Athena Power mATX supply from Newegg.com. Athena Power advertises a 550W mATX power supply on their web site but you cannot find it for sale anywhere.
June 18, 2009 5:48:37 AM

^ 2 years late I'm afraid.
December 1, 2009 9:19:58 PM

Daredevil_8 said:

I found mATX power supplies at tigerdirect.com that go up too 400w
!