Limit my bandwidth!

FriedSpam

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Hi, I share a 576Kbps connection with two flatmates and access is through a single modem and an ethernet router (linksys BEFSX41).

Is there anyway to set limits or quotas on bandwith for each PC?

-basically, we want to limit the bandwidth of each PC to a portion of what is available at the time (so if two people are using the connection to half or if three people are using it, to a third).

-and we have a quota imposed by our ISP that only allows a certain ammount of data to be downloaded on a per month basis. We want to limit the network so that each PC gets a third of this quota (on a per day basis if possible).

Is this possible? and is it possible to do this decentrally (we don't want to set one computer up as a server and the PCs are not on all the time)?

Thanks!

CapNjacK

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
Bandwidth portioning is usually a feature only found on higher end routers. You could look to purchase say a cisco 2600 offhand I'm pretty sure you could do this with that model however it typically will cost more than it's worth in home applications.

FriedSpam

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If I forget the bandwidth portioning then, is there any way to set quotas on the amount of data downloadable per day with software installed on each terminal?

thanks!

CapNjacK

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
Not that I know of but I've never even looked around for something like that so I'm hardly the expert on whether it exists or not. Quotas can be set on Win2k and XP directories but I'm not sure if you can put a 'daily' quota. I've only ever set up max quotas for users.
Good luck