Sign in with
Your question

Tuniq Tower 120 direction? in Antec Nine Hundred

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2007 4:24:05 PM

Does anyone have any picture of installed Tuniq Tower 120 in Antec Nin Hundred? I was not sure which direction I should install Tuniq Tower..

I re-seated my CPU/Tuniq Tower but my Core0/1 went up to 68C from 50C. 8O I will try lapping tomorrow.

I have like 3 cases sitting in my room now..
June 15, 2007 4:58:56 PM

thats not a lapping issue thats a mount issue, try remounting it first. Also its your preference but you can either have it blowing out the back or straight up. Either way works with the 900 because it has exhaust fans blowing out either one.

The waves or sharp things whatever should point to the front.
June 16, 2007 4:01:29 AM

IcY18, thanks for your reply.
I tried to re-mount it again, but didnt change, so lapped on HS and some on CPU.................does not change, oh noooo 8O

I had like Core0/1=50c with other case, and I wasnt happy with the temp and I could not close its side panel due to the Tuniq Tower, so purchased Antec Nine Hundred.

at first day, I was getting 50c for Core0/1, but I was expecting lower temp, so I re-mounted the HS, then I got like 68C now.(even after lapping)..

on my speedfan (v4.32)
Temp1: 40C
Temp2: 53C?
HD:35C
Core0: 67C
Core1: 64C

TAT giving me the exact same temp as Core0/1.

hope my cpu (E6600) isnt going bad :cry: 
Related resources
June 16, 2007 4:19:52 AM

Are you using thermal interface material at all? Temps seem really really high for that cooler. I hope these aren't your idle temps. Try checking to make sure it's mounting properly and not hitting anything.
June 16, 2007 9:25:48 PM

I would still try and remount, those temps are not right unless your running your cpu at high overclock. Also you never did mention what cpu you have?
June 17, 2007 2:01:50 AM

Problem solved! :D 
MB is DS3 but Tuniq Tower is sitting on the Capacitor right next to the CPU, and it wasnt mounting right.

After re-mount again, on my speedfan (v4.32)
Temp1: 38C
Temp2: 31C?
HD:31C
Core0: 44C
Core1: 45C

room temp is 29C.
Temp1 is somewhat higher than Temp2, but overall I hope its ok.
Sorry didnt mention this: Thermal Paste, AS5, CPU: E6600(no OC yet)
Thanks guys! :D 
June 18, 2007 1:03:36 AM

Ah Ha, i knew it was the mount.
June 18, 2007 1:14:04 AM

while we are on the topic of antec 900 cpu coolers...im thinking of getting a thermaltake big typhoon vx. is it bad because theres no vent on the side panel that lines up wiht the cpu cooler? or should i go with a cpu cooler that blows air sideways like OPs?
June 18, 2007 12:11:48 PM

Well there is a vent on the side of the Antec 900, its where you would install a 120mm since it does not come with one there.

But i would get a Tuniq Tower 120 or a Thermalright Ultra 120 over the the Big typhoon as they perform much better than the Big Typhoon.

edit: typo
June 18, 2007 12:49:05 PM

Quote:
Well there is a vent on the side of the Antec 900, its where you would install a 120mm since it does not come with one there.

But i would get a Tuniq Tower 120 or a Thermalright 120 over the the Big typhoon as they perform much better than the Big Typhoon.

Tuniq Tower 120 owns all. if you have the money get this cooler.
June 18, 2007 1:36:48 PM

Actually the Thermalright 120 eXtreme out performs. Read Here.

As far as air coolers go RIGHT now the Ultra 120 extreme is the best. Although its looking like Thermalright might out do themselves with the IFX-14
June 18, 2007 1:44:12 PM

Quote:

But i would get a Tuniq Tower 120 or a Thermalright 120 over the the Big typhoon as they perform much better than the Big Typhoon.

Tuniq Tower 120 owns all. if you have the money get this cooler.

im just looking at this and i wonder if i should get it

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=8757&page=11...

doesnt the big typhoon have the advantage of blowing air at the cpu? the antec side fan is pointed at the graphics unit
June 18, 2007 1:59:13 PM

Here is a recent review of the Big Typhoon VX, here.

The conclusion

Quote:
None of the down-facing fan coolers have been able to really challenge the outstanding performance we have seen with the heatpipe tower designs that mount a side-blowing 120mm fan.

Our benchmarking of the Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX has not challenged that conclusion.

Unless the Big Typhoon VX is considerably cheaper the best performer is the heatpipe towers like the Tuniq Tower 120 and Thermalright Ultra 120.
June 20, 2007 10:39:49 PM

I just installed a tunic tower 120 on my e6400/commando system. I have re-mounted it about 3 times and I can't get the temps down.

The system is not over-clocked and according to SpeedFan, the system/cpu runs 50+ and Core0/Core1 are at 58-60 while loaded.

I should be running way lower under a load right?

Idle temps are: CPU 49C, Core0 55C. Ambient unfortunately is about 26C.
June 21, 2007 12:35:02 AM

nevermind.. a new paste job did the trick.
June 21, 2007 6:47:55 PM

My idle for my system is around 40C-43C.
While running CS Source it is around 55C-58C.

Is this too high or too low?
I read the review and the comparison with this cooler and it should be around 33C idle.
Unless I am wrong.

My system info:

Antec P180B case
Asus commando mobo
E6700 (not overclocked-Stock speed)
Tuniq 120 Cooler using AS5 thermal paste.
XFX 8800 GTX video card
Mushkin XP2 PC2-8500 2X1GB DDR2
1 Raptor 74GIG
1 Maxtor 250GIG IDE
1 DVD writer
OCZ 850W PSU
Two Yate Loon D12SL-12 FANS
Two Antec Tri-cooler FANS

Air flow:
One Yate Loon (at Max) blowing cool air in from the front (Central compartment) to the Maxtor drive.
One Antec Tri-Fan (at Max) blowing hot air from CPU to the outside at the back.
One Antec Tri-Fan (at Max) blowing hot air from CPU to the top of the case.
One Yate Loon (at Max) cooling Raptor drive by blowing air from the PSU to the Raptor drive out the front (Bottom compartment).
Tuniq 120 Fan (at Max) blowing hot air from cpu to the Antec Tri-Fan at the back.

When I installed the cooler and the cpu, I used the credit card to spread the thermal paste.
Should I redo the thermal paste with Artic silver's instruction by using the single line?
June 21, 2007 7:19:27 PM

Reseat it, those temps are too high unless your ambient is very hot.
June 21, 2007 7:58:34 PM

Quote:
My idle for my system is around 40C-43C.
While running CS Source it is around 55C-58C.

Is this too high or too low?
I read the review and the comparison with this cooler and it should be around 33C idle.
Unless I am wrong.

My system info:

Antec P180B case
Asus commando mobo
E6700 (not overclocked-Stock speed)
Tuniq 120 Cooler using AS5 thermal paste.
XFX 8800 GTX video card
Mushkin XP2 PC2-8500 2X1GB DDR2
1 Raptor 74GIG
1 Maxtor 250GIG IDE
1 DVD writer
OCZ 850W PSU
Two Yate Loon D12SL-12 FANS
Two Antec Tri-cooler FANS

Air flow:
One Yate Loon (at Max) blowing cool air in from the front (Central compartment) to the Maxtor drive.
One Antec Tri-Fan (at Max) blowing hot air from CPU to the outside at the back.
One Antec Tri-Fan (at Max) blowing hot air from CPU to the top of the case.
One Yate Loon (at Max) cooling Raptor drive by blowing air from the PSU to the Raptor drive out the front (Bottom compartment).
Tuniq 120 Fan (at Max) blowing hot air from cpu to the Antec Tri-Fan at the back.

When I installed the cooler and the cpu, I used the credit card to spread the thermal paste.
Should I redo the thermal paste with Artic silver's instruction by using the single line?

Doesn't seem abnormal.. then again, you're using a Tuniq =/

Sounds like my temps, but my room ambient is around 78F(25.5C). The only thing I don't understand is your bottom fan air flow. You should have it pulling air from the front since the power supply will suck air out of the compartment and blow it out...

Also, I did an experiment... I duct taped the holes around the power supply and removed the middle fan... HD temps went up about 3C-5C. *shudders*

Btw, sometimes, you just get a bad CPU. Fishboi got an E6600 when they came out and couldn't stop his computer from having load temps at 70C to save his life :( 

Just something to take into consideration.

Also, your 8800GTX is going to contribute to your CPU temp... hot air rises ;) 
June 21, 2007 8:12:34 PM

Naw, unless his ambient is through the roof 40C is what the stock cooler should be getting not a Tuniq Tower 120.
June 21, 2007 8:35:35 PM

But you must also remember, he has an 8800GTX, which will contribute to heat, regardless of the fact that the GPU has a blower on it. If you google more info on it, you'll see people complaining that the 8800s add heat to the inside of the case... The Tuniq is just going to suck in the hot air because it doesn't have a fresh source of cool air like BTX setups do. My computer idles lower now that I got rid of the ATI X1900XT (which was a heavy heat exhaust).

However, with the Antec P180 case he has, he could buy a Scythe Kuma or whatever (120mm fan placement that installs into 3 5.25" bays) and run a tube from the front to the Tuniq :D 

But honestly, to the OP, if your computer doesn't crash and you don't plan to overclock, you should be fine.
June 21, 2007 9:00:31 PM

2k4accord,

Perhaps you got a bad CPU, I just re-read your post... My CPU runs those temps, except all, and I mean all of my fans are on the lowes setting... And I'm using a Scythe Ninja.

Is your computer near a large heat source? From the looks of it, your computer may not be getting enough cool air inside the case... that or you honestly have one of those CPUs that just run hot regardless. *shudders*

If you can, replace the CPU with another one and see how it does (try to find someone who has a Core 2 Duo as well to keep the comparison easier, unless you're like me and none of your friends upgrade until their computer breaks x.x).
June 22, 2007 1:17:11 PM

Update.
After 2 Hours of taking off everything and installing the heat sink using the apply style posted by Arctic silver using their AS5 paste.
I tested out all the fans using a piece of paper. I wanted to see if the Tuniq fan is pushing the air the right way and it was pushing the air into my 5 1/4 drive bay. All other fans are ok.
So I witched it around so it shoot air out the back.

At first it loads up Windows XP and I actually see the idle temp at 36C to 37C.

Then I tried out full load 100% using TAT.
It reads the core temps at 53C to 55C.
After I stopped 100% load and go back to idle and it never goes down from 40C to 41C for idling.

I tried turning the 2 antec fans to low setting to see if the temp rises at idle and it doesn't by much. Maybe 1C or 2C.

This is just weird, after changing the heat sink from stock the temp doesn't change much. I guess I wasted $50. I was hoping for it to idle around 33C or 35C even.

I am not sure what my room ambient temp is. But I think it was hot and we didn't have our central air on since I was sweating after installing the heat sink again. The system is not by any heat source, and it is by my bedroom windows.

Then again, maybe the CPU is a bad luck one or even the 8800 GTX that is causing all the heat inside the case.

I think I give up on this and just use it for now since it doesn't crash while I play CS.
June 22, 2007 1:34:39 PM

Yea, sorry dude... if you want, you can swap CPU heatsinks with me :tongue:

Last night, I formatted my computer and reinstalled everything. And when I booted up, I installed Intel TAT. Well, at first, my computer was idling at 37C @ 2000 MHz. But at full load with TAT for 5 minutes, it jumped up to 58C @ 3000 MHz (I did a 25% overclock). After I quit Intel TAT, my idle temp wouldn't go below 40C. My guess would be the cases. IMHO, I don't think they suck in enough fresh air. Get one of these: Scythe KAMA BAY SCKB-1000BK 120mm 120mm Fan for 5.25" System Cooling .

I would, but I already have 2 DVD Drives, and that occupies 3, but it should help :?

Other than that, if your computer runs fine and doesn't crash, I wouldn't worry about the temps. Just be sure to keep the dust filter cleans and check the vents once a week or so to make sure they're exhausting heat :wink:
!