BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
AMD is preparing to replace its current processor numbering scheme for desktop processors with a new naming scheme which combines two letters and a four-digit number, according to Leslie Sobon, director of product and brand management in AMD....
AMD pushes new naming scheme
© DIGITIMES Inc

I don't know what's so hard to figure out. GP7400 will be the fastest FX. SP2600 will be the fastest dual core under 65W. Seems pretty simple. I don't really see what's so bad about Intel's numbering.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Drop the dashes and it'd be alright. When Intel's was E6700 and E6600 it was great. But with E6750 and E6850 and E6450 that sucks though. The naming schemes get too complicated it takes more and more research to find out where a model number fits in. Too simplify it they should have changed it so the numbers don't get out of whack, maybe a letter?

AMD's is fine but the dash ruins it all, i mean completely ruins it. Also the TDP or whatever they are including is nice to give more info, but typically higher is better until now.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
NEWS! AMD HOPING TO COPY INTEL SUCESS COPIES THEIR NAME SCHEME! o wait they added a dash and and more letters????

OK - the barcy is a disasator! slow ram, no mobos that work, no working demos, bad bios, by the time amd fixes this mess, intel will an have 8 core chips! But AMD says " will it be a real octo core" like the amd "true" quad core!

So what do you do? Change the names! This is exactly what intel did when they were between the core 2 and the bad p4 dual core designs.

3.0c became a 3.0E on the die change, then was 530 when intel want to hide their lack of new product!

AMD pulls an Intel!

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
OK - the barcy is a disasator! slow ram, no mobos that work, no working demos, bad bios, by the time amd fixes this mess, intel will an have 8 core chips! But AMD says " will it be a real octo core" like the amd "true" quad core!
AMD pulls an Intel!

How can barcelona be a disaster? Its not even here yet. While AMDs financila situation may be walking the path towards "dire" and the K10 preproduction news may be lacking anything of a heartening nature, I think its a bit premature label the product just yet. Just my opinion, but I think we should wait to start labeling "disaster" or "best thing since sliced bread" until at least the first round of non-NDA'd third party reviews from respectable sites show up.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
lol

How can barcelona be a disaster? Its not even here yet. .

1st intel's Qaud core arrived in nov 06 not 08 or 07
2nd intels cheap quad core is now $500 - IT HERE NOW!
3rd intels new quad core is here and 30% faster - ITS HERE NOW!

should i keep going????

4th amd's "true" quad core does not work! - ram problems, mobo problems, problems and more problems!

Now i call that a disaster! Barcy is a repeat of the R600 (which i own and keep the worthless too hot piece of $%^& in its box)! Now i call that a disaster!

AMD is a cluster $%^& as they say, or simply a disaster! Really the AMD chips are not bad but the fickle public buys test results - so its a disaster.

SINCE WE CAN NOT TEST ONE ITS A DISASTOR!

Intel may even be close to a "not true 8 core" by the time amd sorts out all the barcie problems. Intel built the kentfeild off the 800 series - yes they sucked but the yield what we call now a "you can buy it now quad core". The 900 series led the C2D combined with the 800 series we have the kentfield.

AMD on the other had decided to redo it all and claim intel's product sucked, since it was "not a true Quad core"! Now AMD has a real problem - in fact the same problem as the R600 no bios no capability with existing systems.

I call that a $%^&'N DISASTOR!
:evil: IFB :twisted:

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Are you drunk or a natural fanboy and please keep going on this!:
should i keep going????
And the 2900series is not a flop! it is a disappointment largely caused by the hype surrounding it even though AMD stated that it was to compete the 8800gts also you have no proof that Barcelona hard evidence only speculation that its gonna be failure whatsoever so please shut up!

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
lol

How can barcelona be a disaster? Its not even here yet. .

should i keep going????

4th amd's "true" quad core does not work! - ram problems, mobo problems, problems and more problems!

Now i call that a disaster! Barcy is a repeat of the R600 (which i own and keep the worthless too hot piece of $%^& in its box)! Now i call that a disaster!

AMD is a cluster $%^& as they say, or simply a disaster! Really the AMD chips are not bad but the fickle public buys test results - so its a disaster.

SINCE WE CAN NOT TEST ONE ITS A DISASTOR!

Intel may even be close to a "not true 8 core" by the time amd sorts out all the barcie problems. Intel built the kentfeild off the 800 series - yes they sucked but the yield what we call now a "you can buy it now quad core". The 900 series led the C2D combined with the 800 series we have the kentfield.

AMD on the other had decided to redo it all and claim intel's product sucked, since it was "not a true Quad core"! Now AMD has a real problem - in fact the same problem as the R600 no bios no capability with existing systems.

I call that a $%^&'N DISASTOR!
:evil: IFB :twisted:

Please do. Barcelona cannot be a distaster as it is not yet in production.

That Intels quad core arrived first has no bearing on the functional performance or reliability of K10. K10s performance and reliability are unknown.

What ever Intel prices its quad core at has no bearing on K10 performance or reliability, as it is not here yet and those are unknown. For that fact of the matter, I cant even recall having seen any mention of proposed introductory pricing for K10 anywhere.

Intels quad core is 30% faster than what? Certainly not K10, as it is not yet here and its performance and reliability (regardless of the varying claims) are...........unknown.

K10 has no ram problems, mobo problems anything, as it is not yet here. Any problems early K10 ES steppings may have, while possibly indicative of problems future steppings may have, are not represenative of the K10 consumer CPU as....it does not yet exist.

Now, if you want to say that AMD is having difficulites, or that their management screwed up, or that their R&D, or production process are having problems, or are "disasters" if you prefer, well those are certainly debatable topics. K10s quality/value/performance are not really debatable topics (except as its timing relates to AMDs welfare) as K10 doesnt exist other than early stepping ES's, nothing that has even been released for 3rd party testing yet. Its a bit premature to lable it anything since it doesnt yet exist in consumable form.

If you really want to call it a distaster, well, then buy one, bench it for us, and share the results so we can all see how it is a disaster.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
3.0c became a 3.0E on the die change, then was 530 when intel want to hide their lack of new product!

Since you don't understand Intel's naming scheme from back in 2004/2005, let me break it down for you:
The "C" in 3.0C stood for an 800MHz fsb Northwood CPU. These were soctket 478 exclusive. The "E" in 3.0E stood for an 800MHz fsb Prescott CPU. These were also socket 478 exclusive. For LGA 775, Intel renamed their "E" processors to the 5x0 naming scheme. "C" and "E" are only for the older socket 478. The 5x0 is for LGA 775, and the 5x1 series marked the addition of xbit and EM64T (although xbit debuted earlier in the short lived "J" series), then there is the 6x0 series, which are simply beefed up Prescott CPUs, having 2MB of L2 cache, and finally the 6x1 series, which are 65nm Cedar Mill CPUs.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I have to second ya Turpit...

Just how is Barcy a disaster?

Until we see truth in this proc we can not really make any "valid" assumptions.

mundungus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I'll have to back the Sprayer on this one. If AMD scratches the the Barcelona core and goes back to the drawing board without releasing anything the chip still qualifies as a disaster.
I don't know for certain that AMD's current predicament is so dire and the development of the new core technology so at fault as to categorically state that the Barcelona endeavor is in fact a big stinking disaster, but it is not beyond reason. AMD has a lot riding on this horse. Over the last few months it has become evident to even non-biased observers that there have been problems in getting this product up and running well enough to fit the bill. Remember, this was supposed to be a knockout performer.
Having nothing to show over the spring has been very bad for consumer and investor confidence in AMD. It has cost them market share and dollars. It could be a disaster for AMD now, or in three, six, or nine months of delays from now. It doesn't need to be introduced to have hurt AMD badly.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
mund,

your statement of "if they have to go back to the drawing board" would make the statement of "Barcy is a disaster" == true.

However,

That has not yet happened. Not that we know of..

If they do not release then yes but even if they release and it is near its competition I would not see it as a disaster.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
And Turpit,

I have seen you with a mattress strapped to your back during heavy benchmarking.

But even that did not bother me.. It was the constant moaning that I could just not get over/out of my mind!! :)