An Asus with crappy bios??

mlek

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Ok, so I was in the market for a cheapish 775-board, and not wanting a no-frills ECS board (like I have), I though I’d go with an Asus. I went with the P5VD2-VM thinking it would have some nice features to mess around overclocking a couple of old prescotts with. Anyway, the point is, the bios seems very restricted for an Asus board. The fsb adjustment on a 133fsb P4 only goes up to 165mhz, I can’t adjust the fsb:dram ratio and there doesn’t seem to be any vcore adjustment. This last one seems ridiculous to me, even older 462 boards had this. I’ve updated the bios to the latest issue… am I looking it the wrong place? Anybody else used this board? Thanks

dannyboy1981

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
i would say reseach all parts of your computer before you buy them find out what people like and what is a good buy for price/performance.

But i would have to say mother boards are thee most important part of your computer and some thing not to get on a cut down price i used to but £50 mother boards and tbh had problems now i cant spend less then £150-200.

But if i was you send it back and get a better board.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
in the market for a cheapish 775-board...
I am very happy with my new P5K. It is inexpensive and supports the new 1333FSB! Also every BIOS adjustment you could imagine...
My CPU gives 2.66GHz (easy) with all stock default voltages,
Regards

mlek

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I am very happy with my new P5K. It is inexpensive and supports the new 1333FSB

Sounds nice, but where I come from it's actually twice as expensive as the board I bought.

most Asus mATX mobos have limited BIOS options

I didn't realise this, I thought it just meant less PCI slots. I actually needed a microATX, so knowing Asus were pretty good, I thought I'd go for that one. Anyway, maybe next time I'll try a cheaper make, ASRock perhaps.

Thanks for your replies.

TRENDING THREADS