Sign in with
Your question

Cant back any of my files up (NTFS->FAT)

Last response: in Windows XP
September 19, 2009 12:53:38 PM

Im having trouble backing files up on my computer. When i try to copy ANY file on my computer (cause ive tried to do some trial and error), it gives me this:

"This file 'name' has extra information attatched to it that might be lost if you continue copying. The contents of the file will not be affected. Do you want to copy the file anyway?"

I then click "Yes" but then it gives me another error about how windows has encountered an error while trying to copy the file. I have yet to read up on somebody who ahs had this problem.

Ive read that is has something to do with the datastream that gets created within a file. I also read something about ADS, which I have no idea what it is.

All in all, its a problem in which i am having trouble copying files from my NTSF drive (Harddive) to a FAT drive (CD/DVD).

How do I fix this? Because I really need the files as they are confidential so I cant upload them to a website and download after i reformat.

Thanks!

"This file 'name' has extra information attatched to it that might be lost if you continue copying. The contents of the file will not be affected. Do you want to copy the file anyway?"

More about : back files ntfs fat

September 20, 2009 9:17:40 AM

How are you determining that copying the file(s) is going to be using FAT from NTFS?

If you are copying / pasting the files, I would imagine the file structure would remain the same, unless otherwise specified.

FAT also has a maximum file size which will cause errors if exceeded.

Files that are system files, have running processes attached etc, will cause problems also. Copying some files will be useless because the registry has been modified to point to them when requested.

What kind of files are you copying?
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2009 3:58:19 PM

This happens with any file, folder or icon i try to copy onto a disc. I cannot back anything up, and it will take forever to upload everything onto a file storage site. I would rather fix this than have to reformat.

I determined that it was going from NTFS to FAT just from reading up on it. Im no expert on this matter at all, so if I am wrong, please correct me.

I performed a scan after writing this thread thinking it would help base don other stuff I had read, and it came up with this right at the start:

"Operating memory - Win32/Olmarik Trojan - unable to clean"

Would that have anythign to do with it? Maybe its keeping me from backing up my files? Thanks.
m
l
October 20, 2011 10:08:29 AM

You may face this type of problem while you are converting the files . Or NTFS or FAt error situation error is faced by user while you are transferring your NTFS file from your car to memory card. Due to system errors or due to power failure some times this file get corrupt. At that type of situation you must go for stellar phoenix fat ntfs software to recover your lost and damaged fat and ntfs file.
m
l
October 20, 2011 12:07:01 PM

As listed in thos other links supplied, FAT has a maximum files size of 4 gig. Any files larger than this (videos) will not copy. Any files that have an alternate data stream(s) or user permissions on them may copy, but you will lose the alternate data streams and permissions when it's copied over. The permissions aren't a problem, but losing the alternate data streams may be a problem depending on what the contents of the stream are and how they are used by the program that created them.
m
l
!