Anamorhic Question

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 5, 2005 6:54:31 PM

Does anamorphic require special equipment? Will any DVD player work with it?
Any widescreen TV? Thanks.

--
XBL GamerTag: RKRM

XBL Games: XIII, Burnout 3: Takedown, Counter-Strike, Crimson Skies: High
Road to Revenge, ESPN Major League Baseball, ESPN NFL 2K5, ESPN NHL 2K5,
Ghost Recon, GhostRecon2, Halo2, Links 2004, MechAssault, Midtown Madness 3,
NBA 2K3, Rainbow Six 3, Top Spin, Unreal Championship, Xbox Live Arcade

http://users.ign.com/collection/RKR

More about : anamorhic question

February 5, 2005 7:18:32 PM

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 15:54:31 -0800, "RKRM" <rkrm@NOSPAMcomcast.net>
wrote:

>Does anamorphic require special equipment? Will any DVD player work with it?
>Any wide screen TV? Thanks.
------
You sound like you just got Novocain ;-)

Any DVD player will send anamorphically enhanced material to a TV
correctly, but the TV needs to be a wide screen (16:9) HDTV TV. The
4:3 HDTV sets don't support anamorphic enhancement.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 8:31:28 AM

"RKRM" <rkrm@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in

> Does anamorphic require special equipment? Will any DVD player work
> with it? Any widescreen TV? Thanks.

I've only really looked at three DVD players and they all work with it to
some degree or other. My big Samsung 5-disc player does it best.

And yes, the mode is designed to work with a 16:9 TV raster. My TV has
the capability of doing that, so that is how I view most of my widescreen
content on my DVD library. My TV is also one of the last of the 4:3 HDTV
ready machines, so it does full-screen on the 4:3 stuff. I have to
manually switch it to 16:9 for the wide-screen stuff. I rarely ever have
to do that for broadcast materials on my satellite. Only very, very
occasionally have I seen an anamorphic broadcast, though you can expect
to see more of them probably as the sets that cannot do 16:9 in some
fashion start to disappear.

I saw one today, actually on an ethnic channel.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

February 6, 2005 8:36:27 AM

Abe <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in

> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 15:54:31 -0800, "RKRM" <rkrm@NOSPAMcomcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Does anamorphic require special equipment? Will any DVD player work
>>with it? Any wide screen TV? Thanks.
> ------
> You sound like you just got Novocain ;-)
>
> Any DVD player will send anamorphically enhanced material to a TV
> correctly, but the TV needs to be a wide screen (16:9) HDTV TV. The
> 4:3 HDTV sets don't support anamorphic enhancement.

Actually that's not always true. I find that it's better to set the TV
to 16:9 and use the anamorphic widescreen than to let the DVD player
letterbox it in a 4:3 raster. Essentially, the entire vertical
resolution of my TV is switched into the 16:9 raster in that mode, so I
get somewhat higher definition. Look at it this way. In 16:9 mode, my
TV displays all 480 lines of the 480p signal in the vertical space taken
up by the image, whereas in 4:3 mode, the DVD player has to send 120
lines of black, leaving only 360 for the picture.

And, while my TV upconverts it (probably to 960p but I can't find any
specs online), there is still a performance improvement. The NICE thing
about my Samsung DVD player is that it will actually stretch a
letterboxed widescreen image to anamorphic before sending it to the TV.
This is only necessary with DVDs that do not actually have an anamorphic
image on them.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667