signal strength = excellent but no connection?

horrorific

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Recently I reinstalled windows, before that my internet (and my wireless network) where working flawlessly. However, ever since I reinstalled windows (today), I either can't connect to my home network or when I do connect (by manually imputing the ip/dns/gate addresses) I won't receive any data (even though it registers that the data is being sent).

after I input the addresses, manually
1.jpg

the details of the network connection, and the source of my splitting headache
2.jpg

my wireless card
3.jpg

G

Set the TCP/IP Properties for DHCP and then post the output from ipconfig/all.

Grumpy

horrorific

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
For TCP/IP all I know how to do is set the ip/gateway/dns. I'm don't know how to set up DHCP >_<

edit: I did a ping, the only thing that didn't respond was the DHCP server (though I'm not sure if that has any relevance to this)

second edit: I set it to auto detect the TCP/IP and it didn't detect the gateway or the DNS settings

G

Your wireless router is your DHCP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DHCP) server. Looks like it's not assigning an IP address to your wireless connection. Did you enable MAC filtering? Try reseting your router to the factory defaults and connecting.

Grumpy

G

You can reset the router by holding the reset button until the lights start flashing.

Grumpy

horrorific

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
my router doesn't have anything like that. Its a 2wire gateway, all it has is 3 lights (power, broadband link, and local network) and 4 ports (power, telephone, ethernet, and USB -which is unused-)

G

Use an ethernet cable to connect to the 2wire using a wired connection and then reset it. The WEP password is in square brackets on the 2wire.

Grumpy

horrorific

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I still don't understand how to reset it.

Also, the 2wire is already connected to the host pc through ethernet (the one I'm having the problem with is the wireless laptop)

G

I don't know what that means but I'm glad you got it fixed.

Grumpy

G

You didn't create a new network, you created a new wireless conection.

Grumpy