Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Can someone tell me how to clean up the startup tab of the system
configuration utility. I have about 30 items that are not checked that could
be deleted. How do I do that? Also unrelated how do I get back cut, copy &
paste in outlook express messages. I send a message liuke this, when writing
it if I want to correct it I cannot highlight anything with the mouse I can
with the shift key and arrows though

Thanks Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You can uncheck the items,then on restarting xp,select,"dont show this window
on start-up".Or go to run,type:services.msc In msc,double click a
service,change
from auto start to disable or manual.

Me2Ewe wrote:
> Can someone tell me how to clean up the startup tab of the
> system configuration utility. I have about 30 items that are
> not checked that could be deleted. How do I do that? Also
> unrelated how do I get back cut, copy & paste in outlook
> express messages. I send a message liuke this, when writing
> it if I want to correct it I cannot highlight anything with
> the mouse I can with the shift key and arrows though
>
> Thanks Bruce

For your msconfig issue, go to this web site and run the script
listed on line 148, right hand side, "Clear disabled items from
msconfig".

If you'd rather do this manually, it involves running the
Registry Editor, Start -> Run -> regedit, and navigating to
these two locations,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

You can now delete each of the unwanted sub-keys.

As for you other problem, if you haven't done so already, you
might want to post that question to the Outlook Express
newsgroup:

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Me2Ewe wrote:
> Can someone tell me how to clean up the startup tab of the system
> configuration utility. I have about 30 items that are not checked that could
> be deleted. How do I do that? Also unrelated how do I get back cut, copy &
> paste in outlook express messages. I send a message liuke this, when writing
> it if I want to correct it I cannot highlight anything with the mouse I can
> with the shift key and arrows though
>
> Thanks Bruce

Simply go to the start up location(s) identified by MSConfig, and make
the necessary adjustments or deletions. Remember, MSConfig is designed
as a troubleshooting tool, not as a "Startup Configuring Tool."

In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
"display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Andrew E. wrote:
> You can uncheck the items,then on restarting xp,select,"dont show this window
> on start-up".Or go to run,type:services.msc In msc,double click a
> service,change
> from auto start to disable or manual.

Is there any particular reason that you *never* provide the correct answer?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

<ROTFL>

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:u90onTVbFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Bruce Chambers <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> hunted and pecked:

"Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote:

>Can someone tell me how to clean up the startup tab of the system
>configuration utility. I have about 30 items that are not checked that could
>be deleted. How do I do that?

If you are comfortable with editing the registry, delete the entries
under the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote:

> You can uncheck the items,then on restarting xp,select,"dont show this window
> on start-up".Or go to run,type:services.msc In msc,double click a
>service,change
> from auto start to disable or manual.

Would you please refrain from posting dangerous and just plain bad
advice to these newsgroups.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks for all the input even the confusing one.
Worked perfectly
Bruce

Me2Ewe wrote:
> Thanks for all the input even the confusing one.
> Worked perfectly
> Bruce

You're welcome.

Nepatsfan