msconfig

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Can someone tell me how to clean up the startup tab of the system
configuration utility. I have about 30 items that are not checked that could
be deleted. How do I do that? Also unrelated how do I get back cut, copy &
paste in outlook express messages. I send a message liuke this, when writing
it if I want to correct it I cannot highlight anything with the mouse I can
with the shift key and arrows though

Thanks Bruce
9 answers Last reply
More about msconfig
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You can uncheck the items,then on restarting xp,select,"dont show this window
    on start-up".Or go to run,type:services.msc In msc,double click a
    service,change
    from auto start to disable or manual.

    "Me2Ewe" wrote:

    > Can someone tell me how to clean up the startup tab of the system
    > configuration utility. I have about 30 items that are not checked that could
    > be deleted. How do I do that? Also unrelated how do I get back cut, copy &
    > paste in outlook express messages. I send a message liuke this, when writing
    > it if I want to correct it I cannot highlight anything with the mouse I can
    > with the shift key and arrows though
    >
    > Thanks Bruce

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Me2Ewe wrote:
    > Can someone tell me how to clean up the startup tab of the
    > system configuration utility. I have about 30 items that are
    > not checked that could be deleted. How do I do that? Also
    > unrelated how do I get back cut, copy & paste in outlook
    > express messages. I send a message liuke this, when writing
    > it if I want to correct it I cannot highlight anything with
    > the mouse I can with the shift key and arrows though
    >
    > Thanks Bruce

    For your msconfig issue, go to this web site and run the script
    listed on line 148, right hand side, "Clear disabled items from
    msconfig".

    If you'd rather do this manually, it involves running the
    Registry Editor, Start -> Run -> regedit, and navigating to
    these two locations,

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
    Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
    Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

    You can now delete each of the unwanted sub-keys.

    As for you other problem, if you haven't done so already, you
    might want to post that question to the Outlook Express
    newsgroup:

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Me2Ewe wrote:
    > Can someone tell me how to clean up the startup tab of the system
    > configuration utility. I have about 30 items that are not checked that could
    > be deleted. How do I do that? Also unrelated how do I get back cut, copy &
    > paste in outlook express messages. I send a message liuke this, when writing
    > it if I want to correct it I cannot highlight anything with the mouse I can
    > with the shift key and arrows though
    >
    > Thanks Bruce

    Simply go to the start up location(s) identified by MSConfig, and make
    the necessary adjustments or deletions. Remember, MSConfig is designed
    as a troubleshooting tool, not as a "Startup Configuring Tool."

    In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
    simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
    "display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

    Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
    Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
    system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Andrew E. wrote:
    > You can uncheck the items,then on restarting xp,select,"dont show this window
    > on start-up".Or go to run,type:services.msc In msc,double click a
    > service,change
    > from auto start to disable or manual.

    Is there any particular reason that you *never* provide the correct answer?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    <ROTFL>

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:u90onTVbFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Bruce Chambers <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> hunted and pecked:

    "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Can someone tell me how to clean up the startup tab of the system
    >configuration utility. I have about 30 items that are not checked that could
    >be deleted. How do I do that?

    If you are comfortable with editing the registry, delete the entries
    under the following keys:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
    Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote:

    > You can uncheck the items,then on restarting xp,select,"dont show this window
    > on start-up".Or go to run,type:services.msc In msc,double click a
    >service,change
    > from auto start to disable or manual.

    Would you please refrain from posting dangerous and just plain bad
    advice to these newsgroups.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks for all the input even the confusing one.
    Worked perfectly
    Bruce
    "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
    > Me2Ewe wrote:
    >> Can someone tell me how to clean up the startup tab of the
    >> system configuration utility. I have about 30 items that are
    >> not checked that could be deleted. How do I do that? Also
    >> unrelated how do I get back cut, copy & paste in outlook
    >> express messages. I send a message liuke this, when writing
    >> it if I want to correct it I cannot highlight anything with
    >> the mouse I can with the shift key and arrows though
    >>
    >> Thanks Bruce
    >
    > For your msconfig issue, go to this web site and run the script
    > listed on line 148, right hand side, "Clear disabled items from
    > msconfig".

    > If you'd rather do this manually, it involves running the
    > Registry Editor, Start -> Run -> regedit, and navigating to
    > these two locations,
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
    > Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
    > Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
    >
    > You can now delete each of the unwanted sub-keys.
    >
    > As for you other problem, if you haven't done so already, you
    > might want to post that question to the Outlook Express
    > newsgroup:

    > Good luck
    >
    > Nepatsfan

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Me2Ewe wrote:
    > Thanks for all the input even the confusing one.
    > Worked perfectly
    > Bruce

    You're welcome.

    Nepatsfan