Opinions on Pentium D 805

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I have an old Pentium 4 640 (3.2 Ghz). I can't get it to go past 3.59 Ghz no matter what I do. I've increased voltages for the Processor, RAM, and northbridge, while the memory was on a divider, and I just can't get past that mark. I just figure the CPU can't handle the speed.

A while ago I built a computer for my brother with the Pentium D 805. He isn't interested in overclocking or anything. All he does is browse the internet and stuff. I am going to convince him to trade processores with me. He'll get a speed boost, becasue it's 3.2 Ghz vs. 2.66 Ghz (he probably doesn't utilize the dual core much). And it'll give me a chance to overclock it. I can probably get more than I have now with my Pentium 4.

My question is, will I be okay with the heat? I have the Antec 900. And the Arctic Cooler Freezer 7. I think I'll be okay with the temps, but most people overclocking this chip have watercooling. Will I be able to hit 4 Ghz? Or will it be too hot?

My motherboard doesn't support Core 2 Duos, and I don't have the money to upgrade everything right now. I jsut thought this would be a nice little free upgrade.

Also, if the overclocking is a limited by the motherboard, it won't be an issue with the 805. Because I can get it up to 224 Mhz FSB. Which would be higher than the 805 could handle anyway.

Thanks for your opinions.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Okay... so we switched processors.

His computer starts up for about 3 seconds, and then turns off by itself.

I can't even get the 805 to 3 Ghz. I think there is something wrong with my motherboard. I can't get much past 300 Mhz past stock speeds with it.... on both processors. Could it be my power supply?

Mother board: Here

Abit doesn't have it on it's website anymore. I found it there here though.

Power Supply: Here

The power supply seems pretty okay to me....

Well anyway, I'm switching them back. It just didn't work out that well.

TRENDING THREADS