When should I buy a graphics card?

Leifer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Dear friends,

I just bought myself a brand-spankin'-new computer which kicks ass. However, due to my money constraints, I didn't buy myself a new graphics card. I'm using a 256mb DDR2 7300GS right now, but I'd like to upgrade it in 2-3 weeks. My question is, are graphics card prices going to drop soon? If they are, I can wait a little while and get myself an 8800+. However, if they're not, i'll just get this bad boy right here. So my question is, does anybody know if/when prices will drop for nVidia's higher-end graphics cards?

joemccarron

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
Hard to say. Until ATI comes out with somethign to force a price drop theres little reason for Nvidia to do it. They came out with a faster ultra but instead of droppign prices across the board much they just priced it higher than the others.

Leifer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Damn marketing strategies. I can still hope for the best in two weeks or so. I'll just wait three weeks, that way I can have ~ $600-700 lined up and buy some serious performance.

By the way, word on the [internet]streets is that Vista drives are absolute garbage, even for high-end graphics cards, like the one posted above by me. Is it wiser to just stay with XP until Vista isn't crap-for-drivers?