someone is sending me viruses

dylan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001

someone from this news group is sending me viruses in my email does anybody
have a solution? i dont want to change my email eather, how could i get
sweet revenge, thank you

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

Dylan wrote:

> someone from this news group is sending me viruses in my email does anybody
> have a solution? i dont want to change my email eather, how could i get
> sweet revenge, thank you

If you must use an email that works, try relaying it through something like
www.spamgourmet.com or get a junk email account from hotmail or yahoo or
something. Putting your real email in usenet is NOT a good idea.

"Dylan" <goodlayjay@vianet.ca> wrote in message
> someone from this news group is sending me viruses in my email does
> anybody
> have a solution? i dont want to change my email eather, how could i get
> sweet revenge, thank you

BTW, nobody is sending you viruses. No person that is. Infected computers
extract email addresses from usenet posts, just as spammers harvest
addresses from usenet and web pages.

As another news.individual user, I have an email address that works when
real people write, but does not get alot of junk.

"sittingduck" <spam.to.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> Dylan wrote:
>
>> someone from this news group is sending me viruses in my email does
>> anybody
>> have a solution? i dont want to change my email eather, how could i get
>> sweet revenge, thank you
>

> If you must use an email that works, try relaying it through something
> like
> www.spamgourmet.com or get a junk email account from hotmail or yahoo or
> something. Putting your real email in usenet is NOT a good idea.

Sadly, the news server I use requires a genuine, un-munged addy :( And you
seem to have to jump through a million hoops to get a Hotmail addy
nowadays...

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

> seem to have to jump through a million hoops to get a Hotmail addy
> nowadays...

Really? I have one I haven't used for like 4 years that won't go away. They
send me messages that I have to log in once in a while to keep it active, so
I don't for like a year or more. Then I log in just to see if it's gone and
they welcome me back and even give me more capacity.

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

EvilBill wrote:

> Sadly, the news server I use requires a genuine, un-munged addy :( And you
> seem to have to jump through a million hoops to get a Hotmail addy
> nowadays...

LOL

Dude, that is SO easy to get around. I use individual.net too.
If you read my previous post, you could try spamgourmet (my personal fav) or
use a www.mailinator.com address.

http://individual.net/rules.html

"The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" should be
your own and should be valid (= should not bounce because of invalidity)."

That means they don't really care if the email is actually REAL, it just
shouldn't bounce.

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 20:52:20 -0000, EvilBill wrote:
> "sittingduck" <spam.to.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> If you must use an email that works, try relaying it through something
>> like
>> www.spamgourmet.com or get a junk email account from hotmail or yahoo or
>> something. Putting your real email in usenet is NOT a good idea.
>
> Sadly, the news server I use requires a genuine, un-munged addy :( And you
> seem to have to jump through a million hoops to get a Hotmail addy
> nowadays...

I have no problems posting with my real address on Usenet. If you get
spammed to death, it's because your mail provider isn't doing enough to
stop spam!

I use about a half-dozen dnsbls (Spamhaus, CBL, etc.), run all mail
that's left through SpamAssassin 3.0, and chuck everything that scores
too high. I get maybe a couple of spams a day in my inbox.

* California gun owners - protect your rights and join the CRPA today! *
* http://www.crpa.org/ Free 3 month trial membership available *

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

John Oliver wrote:

> I have no problems posting with my real address on Usenet. If you get
> spammed to death, it's because your mail provider isn't doing enough to
> stop spam!
>
> I use about a half-dozen dnsbls (Spamhaus, CBL, etc.), run all mail
> that's left through SpamAssassin 3.0, and chuck everything that scores
> too high. I get maybe a couple of spams a day in my inbox.

That's fine and dandy if you can risk losing a legitimate email or 2 to your
filters. I prefer to manually see every email that comes into my important
accounts. Without careful use, that could add up to WAY too many in a hurry.

> EvilBill wrote:
>
>> Sadly, the news server I use requires a genuine, un-munged addy :( And
>> you
>> seem to have to jump through a million hoops to get a Hotmail addy
>> nowadays...
>
> LOL
>
> Dude, that is SO easy to get around. I use individual.net too.
> If you read my previous post, you could try spamgourmet (my personal fav)
> or
> use a www.mailinator.com address.
>
> http://individual.net/rules.html
>
> "The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" should
> be
> your own and should be valid (= should not bounce because of invalidity)."
>
> That means they don't really care if the email is actually REAL, it just
> shouldn't bounce.

Interesting :) Although not very practical for me. According to the blurb on
mailinator.com, messages get deleted automatically after a few hours, and
since I'm on dial-up, I can only be online a few hours a day.
Oh well. I find GMail's spam filter catches most of them (along with the odd
false positive, sadly).

> John Oliver wrote:
>
>> I have no problems posting with my real address on Usenet. If you get
>> spammed to death, it's because your mail provider isn't doing enough to
>> stop spam!
>>
>> I use about a half-dozen dnsbls (Spamhaus, CBL, etc.), run all mail
>> that's left through SpamAssassin 3.0, and chuck everything that scores
>> too high. I get maybe a couple of spams a day in my inbox.
>
> That's fine and dandy if you can risk losing a legitimate email or 2 to
> your
> filters. I prefer to manually see every email that comes into my important
> accounts. Without careful use, that could add up to WAY too many in a
> hurry.

Same here. I might get 150-200 spam mails a day on various accounts, but I'd
rather have that, TBH, than be losing genuine e-mail that could be, for
example, from my girlfriend. <g>

EvilBill wrote:

> Same here. I might get 150-200 spam mails a day on various accounts, but
> I'd rather have that, TBH, than be losing genuine e-mail that could be,
> for example, from my girlfriend. <g>

If you do business via email, you can't afford to lose any either!
Ever heard of mailwasher? Probably worthless with Gmail, but if you have POP
accounts it is really nice.

"sittingduck" <spam.to.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> EvilBill wrote:
>
>> Same here. I might get 150-200 spam mails a day on various accounts, but
>> I'd rather have that, TBH, than be losing genuine e-mail that could be,
>> for example, from my girlfriend. <g>
>
> If you do business via email, you can't afford to lose any either!
> Ever heard of mailwasher? Probably worthless with Gmail, but if you have
> POP
> accounts it is really nice.

Yeah, I've heard of it. Most of my POP accounts get forwarded to my GMail
one now, although there's one that doesn't have that option. LOL

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

TRENDING THREADS