Sign in with
Your question

Single Width Dirext X 10 card - Please Advise if you know

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 15, 2007 11:32:32 PM

Hi All

Please advise if there are any single width Direct X 10 cards, Geforce or Radeon (ie 8600/8800 or 2900 series) that I can get. Preferably ATI as my m/board is ATI chipset.

My system is fairly low power as well, so preferably not too power hungry. Currently I run an X800 Pro nicely but want to upgrade.

I assume my m/board is only PCI-E 1 as well (Crossfire X200 chipset). So im not sure if this matters.

Looking for some good advice here please from anyone in the know.

Recap:
* main point is I need a Single Width card - what can I get (that is Direct X 10 compatible)?
* another point is im not sure if the new cards are PCI-E 2 and if these will work?
* minor point is the power consumption as my power supply isnt terribly big?

Not looking for ATI is better than Nvidia or Nvidia is better than ATI etc etc, I am looking for advice on the above 3 questions first (then advice on which card to get that matches those three criteria would be good)
June 16, 2007 12:01:46 AM

Quote:
Hi All

Please advise if there are any single width Direct X 10 cards, Geforce or Radeon (ie 8600/8800 or 2900 series) that I can get. Preferably ATI as my m/board is ATI chipset.

My system is fairly low power as well, so preferably not too power hungry. Currently I run an X800 Pro nicely but want to upgrade.

I assume my m/board is only PCI-E 1 as well (Crossfire X200 chipset). So im not sure if this matters.

Looking for some good adice here please from anyone in the know.

Recap:
* main point is I need a Single Width card?
* another point is im not sure if the new cards are PCI-E 2 and if these will work?
If your motherboard only has one PCIe slot, you've got no reason to buy ATI over Nvidia. Currently the HD 2900XT is the most power hungry card on the market, and the 8800GTS performs roughly the same while using a lot less power.
June 16, 2007 12:21:19 AM

Well, the 8800gt* may be too much for his computer too. In this case I would suggest the 2600xt when it comes out, maybe the 8600gt but it realy doesn't do DX10, effectively.

You may be better off if you wait for DX10 to mature so that you can:
A. get a much better DX10 card
and B. get more benefit from Games the better utilize the DX10 code.
Related resources
June 16, 2007 12:23:21 AM

go with the 8600GT or 8600GTS, ignore what most users say about these cards, im a former user, sold it for money reasons, but when the 158.22 drivers arrived, the cards preformance skyrockets and then i got the 165.01 beta drivers and it went up even more. The 8600GTS can keep up with the 1950pro at 12x10 with more settings on.
June 16, 2007 11:44:57 AM

Yes but is it single width?

and will it work on a PCIE 1 m/board which im sure my crossfire 200 m/board is?
June 16, 2007 12:26:53 PM

First,the chipset does not matter as it has been shown that NVIDIA video cards will work just as well with an ATI chipset as with an NVIDIA chipset and vise-versa.As for the single width,if you mean a single PCI-E slot,then all PCI-E cards will run in it.Dual width is two PCI-E slots for either SLI or CROSSFIRE,what you have when running two like cards.Hope I've helped some.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE
June 16, 2007 12:58:45 PM

Quote:
* main point is I need a Single Width card - what can I get (that is Direct X 10 compatible)?

1] If you meaning of Single width, then most 8500 thru 8600 series Nvidia cards will meet your specs. Would suggest the 8600GTS and the top brands are Evga, XFX, Asus, MSI and BFG.

2] The graphic cards that are out now are still PCI-E (1). The next set that will be coming out will be for PCI-E (2), but will still work in previous type.

3] Both the Nvidia 8500 and 8600 series use less power then the 8800 series and ATI 2900XT.

Hope this answer your questions.
June 16, 2007 1:40:09 PM

@Yoosty: You have gotten 2) wrong. PCI-E 2 cards will only work with PCI-E 2 boards, however PCI-e 2 boards will support PCI-E 1 cards. But yes all cards currently in PCI-E will be able to work on Nicks motherboard.

@Nicks: AMD will soon have their HD2400 and HD2600 series in the stores to compete with the 8500 and 8600 from nVidia. All cards in the competition will, to my knowledge, be single with and consume a fairly low amount of power, so they will all fulfill your requierments. About nVidia on ATi chipsets there will be no problems(at least I haven't heard of any and I'm active on quite a few hardware forums).
June 16, 2007 8:59:36 PM

Thanks guys - how good is Toms Hardware!

The reason why I need single width is because I run a Shuttle system, it only has 2 slots which are PCIE and one of them has a TV Tuner card in it, and there is no room left to spare. So basically I need a card that will only use a single width riser slot.

I also heard that the Nvidia cards can be flaky on the ATI X200 m/board.
!