PCIE GPU - MB has 4 pin power also for stability. Confused

smur1701

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Hi.

Have a PCIE ATI X1950 XT GPU with it's own 6pin power connector.
MB also has a 4 pin power connector:

"This 12V power connector JPWR3 is
used to provide power to stable the
operation of graphics card."
Same type you would use to connect ide drives and such.

Now, do I use the PSU power to power the GPU, the MB, or both?

Really no detail other than what I pasted above and unsure if I am supposed to connect to both with use of a splitte. Otherwise, i don't why it is even there as who would want to power a GPU strictly off of the mainboard?

Currently have a 600W PSU which has seperate VGA power cord, but 12v 4 PIN, so I have the adapter in place until I pick up a new one this week with dedicated 6pin connector(s).

If anyone can clarify this for me, I would appreciate it.

Also, any advise on particular specs to look for in a PSU.
Right now one of the fans on it is auto and swicthes speed if need be and have the inputs on the PSU, so I can not use the ones I don't need and not clutter the case for more airflow, which I like.

Thanks.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Use the 6pin connector on the video card.The four pin molex connection is for running crossfire,not necessary for running a single card,but if you run a second card for crossfire,then you'll need to plug in the 4-pin to the MB.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE

smur1701

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
And to answer a few questions.

No, the MB is not designed for dual GPU.
Did not know which brand I will do that with, so went single right now.

Since that molex on the MB is for dual GPU would that mean, I again do not need if my PSU has twp seperate PCIE power connectors?

Thanks guys.

I had used a y cable last card (4pin molex to 6pin to 4 pin molex) and hooked then all up.

Thanks again for giving me some insight. The way the manual put it, was a tad odd.