Any other 10K drive coming?

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone heard if any other hardrive maker is ever going to make a 10K drive. I bet that if my Seagate 320gig perpendicular drive spun at 10K it would blow the doors off the raptor.

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I don't think seagate would release a 10k sata drive because it might interfere with sales of their 10k sas/scsi line, wd doesn't have enterprise drives to worry about.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
i had only overheard a brief rumor about possibly hitachi releasing one sometime (it mightve been a different company that was mentioned, not sure)

but as far as the larger platter capacity, and faster rpms... thats actually a main physical limitation right now, and the reason raptors and other 2.5" scsi hdds are stuck at such small capacities (74GB platters, compared to 250GB 7200 platters), with older technology even (LMR, known for reliability instead of brand new technology, such as pmr)... ...first you have the smaller 2.5" platter which allows for the higher rpms (compared to 3.5" 7200s)... the consequence of higher rpms is more heat and noise is generated per platter too (which is a complaint of raptors as well, which might be why raptors only have 2 platters)... (though the 300GB hitachi runs at 15Krpm... i can only assume it has 4 platters (or possibly 2 larger platters even...)... if it has 4 platters, i can imagine that that is one very hot hdd

the bright side in all this though, is that IF another company releases a 10k rpm sata hdd, they might very well be using something like perpendicular magnetic recording, like your seagate has... the total capacity might not be as high as your current hdd (due to heat and vibrations and such per platter, and thats not good at all for the hdd), but you could pretty much guarantee it will be faster

(thats if its possible to even incorporate PMR on a higher rpm hdd, no reason why it shouldnt be, i wouldnt think, maybe, though it could just simply be a physical impossibility right now, vibrations most likely)

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
the reason that drives with 3.5" platters are generally capped at 7200 rpm is because of the centrifugal force slightly warps the platters, and they could scratch against the hear, with 2.5" the platters aren't as badly effected by the centrifugal forces.

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Could be the reason. I guess it must be harder than I think or others would have built them by now. I'd like to see WD have some competition in the 10K arena. Both on price & capacity. Similar to AMD & Intel.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
the reason that drives with 3.5" platters are generally capped at 7200 rpm is because of the centrifugal force slightly warps the platters, and they could scratch against the hear, with 2.5" the platters aren't as badly effected by the centrifugal forces.

thanks. i wasnt quite positive about the reasons (i remember reading vaguely, someone had said before that the hdd would basically tear itself apart... but, what you said makes sense as to why)

i guess what i was thinking though when i was posting, is taking a 2.5" platter, and applying PMR to it, so the capacity, and throughput performance is increased (again, 2.5" for the higher rpms, which i guess was the whole point and dilemma in my post too, this all assuming another company is even going to release one)...

the post was probably a bit jumbled and random though too, sorry about that