muslyiim

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
'Error starting on demand scanner' is the message I get when trying to scan for viruses and troubleshooting I cannot get to certain web sites...........can you advise

mdri

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Hi, I am having the same problem with my laptop. I did what was recommended by aford10, but both malware removal tools got aborted by the infection (I supose!). Anything else I can do?

mdri

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

I created a McAfee secured Boot CD and ran a few AVs. It came out clean, excpet for the AV programs on my HDD! Neither of them could be opened/checked by AVs on the CD. Can it be the malware that is disabling them? I can't run any of those from my HDD! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

mdri

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

For the AVs on my HDD:

McAfee virus scan would stop a few seconds after starting, giving me the error message that program cannot proceed.

Others, like SuperAntiSpyware or SpybotSD install fine, but once you run them, they error message says the path to the file is incorrect or I don't have the permission to run the program (even when I login as Admin)!

For the AV on the CD:

No infection is detected.

Do you have multiple drives or partitions, where parts of the programs may be seperated?

My advice would be to uninstall the other AVs. Some just don't work well with each other. Boot into safe mode w/ networking. Download malwarebytes (download in safe mode w/ networking), update it and scan.

Your other scanners could be already infected. Downloading malwarebytes while in safe mode will reduce the chance that something can get to it.

If you get it to run, then download Avira. Do the same process. Between the 2 programs, they should clean your system. After that, I would suggest downloading ccleaner and scanning your registry for any errors.

^^If none of this works, you may have to slave your drive in another PC and scan it.

mdri

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

I followed your instruction: Malwarebytes got aborted (and the window got closed) after the first few seconds of running. Avira, on the other hand, got installed but never ran. when I pressed ctrl+alt+del to see what was going on, the desktop disappeared and system halted. I don't think there is an easy way out of this, so I am going ahead with an XP fresh reinstall.

Thanks for the help!