Planning a new build and need some help from the experts?

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
First Time Post,

Basically I am getting ready for a complete overhaul of my computers. Right now I am trying to upgrade to a point that will keep me in good shape for about 18 – 30 months (1.5 – 2.5 years). Anyway, here are my current thoughts, which center mainly around the processor and graphic cards.

Processors,
Given the current cost of the quad cores I am looking to postpone this investment and buy the Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor. My main concern though is that I would like to line this up with a MoBo that will support the Quad core later, also, as a requirement, run sli and support dual Graphic cards.

Thoughts on the graphic cards, for now, will be to buy one EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit, instead of the EVGA 768-P2-N881-AR GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit because I just don’t think it is worth the extra cost.

So, any thoughts on the idea for the processor and my thoughts on the video cards, honestly I am still considering Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 2.93GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557X6800 but I don’t think it is worth it for me right now, it will almost triple my cost and as I am really only worried about gaming I don’t know if I will see a hugh benefit from spending the extra 600.00, I would rather buy the dual graphic set up with extra ram and a Raptor than put the extra money on the processor right now.

Anyway, I look forward to all your comments and input.

Also, a suggestion on a good motherboard, one that would support both the upcoming developments in quad core development and still support the Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe would be GREAT!

My thanks in advance for any and all assistance,

kaizoman

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
A couple of things to look at:

1. Buy what you think you will cover you today. If you aren't going to upgrade sometime in the next 12 months you are going to have issues. While processor technology doesn't change that much, the 775 socket will phase out just like ever other socket ever has. It just happens quicker now.

2. On graphics cards, I usually just get what make sense for todays technology without breaking my price point. I would get something that has dx10, that is looking to be the graphics standard for a while and all the major companies are going to support it in the coming year or two. You really wont see that benefit from spending and extra 600 dollars either.

In summary: Save the money on the graphics, buy what you can afford processor wise. Everything is going to change in 12 - 18 months anyways and if you want them to last 3 years it isn't going to happen unless something terrible happens to PC gaming.

Good luck.

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Thanks, that brings up a good question, how long can we expect the 775 to be around? Any thoughts, as I am still looking for a good MoBo this is something to consider!