Fujitsu Selling LCD operations

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 6, 2005 12:39:26 PM

<http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/breaking/breakingnewsa...;

> Fujitsu in Talks with Sharp on LCD Ops February 06, 2005 09:22:00 AM
> ET
>
> TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese chips-to-computers conglomerate, Fujitsu
> Ltd., said on Sunday it is in talks with Sharp Corp., the world's
> largest maker of LCD televisions, to sell its loss-making LCD panel
> operations.
>
> The deal would mark Fujitsu's effective withdrawal from the volatile
> and highly competitive flat-panel market and the latest consolidation
> in the industry in Asia, which has been hard hit by sharp price falls
> and slower-than-expected consumer demand.
>
> ``It is true that we are in negotiations with Sharp, but nothing
> concrete has been decided. We'll make an announcement as soon as an
> agreement is reached,'' a Fujitsu spokesman said.
>
> ``The agreement is likely to come sooner, rather than later,'' he
> said.
>
> The spokesman declined to provide details, such as a possible sales
> price for the operations.
>
> The Nihon Keizai Shimbun business daily said in its Sunday morning
> edition that by acquiring Fujitsu's LCD-related patents, Sharp aimed
> to boost its efficiency in product development and cut costs.
>
> Under the Sharp deal, Fujitsu would likely buy back a stake in its
> LCD venture from minority partner, AU Optronics Corp., before selling
> most of the operations to Sharp, the newspaper reported.
>
> The Taiwanese company, the world's third-largest LCD maker, bought a
> 20 percent stake in 2003. AU officials were not immediately available
> for comment.
>
> Unlike Hitachi, Japan's largest electronics conglomerate, Fujitsu
> does not sell LCD televisions or plasma TVs, making it difficult to
> profit from a manufacturing-to-consumer business line.
>
> Fujitsu already plans to sell a 30.1 percent stake in its 50-50
> plasma panel joint venture to existing partner Hitachi Ltd. in April.
>

> Electronics and entertainment conglomerate Sony Corp. said last month
> it would buy the Japanese LCD operations of Taiwan's Chi Mei
> Optoelectronics Corp. to boost its ability to make parts needed for
> high-end digital products.
>
> Last August, Hitachi, Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd. and
> Toshiba Corp. said they would spend a combined 110 billion yen ($1.05
> billion) to jointly produce large LCD panels for flat-screen TVs.
>
> Matsushita makes Panasonic-brand consumer electronics products, while
> Toshiba is Japan's second-largest electronics conglomerate.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:47:56 PM

I thought this might help to clear up some confusion regarding Fujitsu's future
in the plasma manufacturing arena. The quote below came from a post by the COO
of Fujitsu General America, over at AVS. In brief, Fujitsu is here to stay in
the plasma buisness. Can things change in the future? Of course, nothing is
certain, particularly in the area of consumer electronics:

"I seem to remember an episode of the "West Wing" where one of the staff of
President B responded to an e-mail that eventually went around and bit him in
the butt. Having said that, as President and COO of Fujitsu General America,
let me reassure all of you once and for all that Fujitsu General Limited, the
company that makes and sells finished equipment plasma display panels has no
intention of exiting the business....period.

In fact, we have plans for bigger and better panels as many of you may know by
now. Unfortunately, there has been a great deal of confusion generated by
Fujitsu Limited's press release regarding their future in the manufacturing of
PDP components. Hindsight tells us that it could have been handled a bit
differently. Nonetheless, we are communicating with all of our dealers and
distributors and helping them understand the entire situation.

Frankly, Fujitsu Limited's reasons for selling a portion of their interest to
Hitachi are a function of their desire to focus on their core competencies.
Fujitsu General Limited's core competencies lie in producing finished equipment
that delivers the highest quality picture to the end user regardless of whose
PDP components we use.

In closing, I'm sorry if this situation has caused any confusion, but let me
repeat....Fujitsu plasma display products will be here today, tomorrow and well
into the future. Thank you very much for your continued support.

I hope I don't relive that West Wing episode, but we thought the situation was
important enough to communicate to the end users as well as our dealers and
distributors.

Thanks again.

TR"
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:47:57 PM

Vidguy7 wrote:
> I thought this might help to clear up some confusion regarding Fujitsu's future
> in the plasma manufacturing arena. The quote below came from a post by the COO
> of Fujitsu General America, over at AVS. In brief, Fujitsu is here to stay in
> the plasma buisness. Can things change in the future? Of course, nothing is
> certain, particularly in the area of consumer electronics:
>
> "I seem to remember an episode of the "West Wing" where one of the staff of
> President B responded to an e-mail that eventually went around and bit him in
> the butt. Having said that, as President and COO of Fujitsu General America,
> let me reassure all of you once and for all that Fujitsu General Limited, the
> company that makes and sells finished equipment plasma display panels has no
> intention of exiting the business....period.
>
> In fact, we have plans for bigger and better panels as many of you may know by
> now. Unfortunately, there has been a great deal of confusion generated by
> Fujitsu Limited's press release regarding their future in the manufacturing of
> PDP components. Hindsight tells us that it could have been handled a bit
> differently. Nonetheless, we are communicating with all of our dealers and
> distributors and helping them understand the entire situation.
>
> Frankly, Fujitsu Limited's reasons for selling a portion of their interest to
> Hitachi are a function of their desire to focus on their core competencies.
> Fujitsu General Limited's core competencies lie in producing finished equipment
> that delivers the highest quality picture to the end user regardless of whose
> PDP components we use.
>
> In closing, I'm sorry if this situation has caused any confusion, but let me
> repeat....Fujitsu plasma display products will be here today, tomorrow and well
> into the future. Thank you very much for your continued support.
>
> I hope I don't relive that West Wing episode, but we thought the situation was
> important enough to communicate to the end users as well as our dealers and
> distributors.

Thanks for posting that. It makes it clear that Fujitsu will continue to
market PDPs that are assembled from components made by other companies.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game