Problem with Control Panel Add/Remove option

June 10, 2005 12:58:44 AM

Half way down the list of programs to remove it starts a black vertical
line that seems to last forever, then is changes to 2 lines, the 3. I
can scroll for a while, and then the rest of my programs show. When I
click on the black lines it highlights blue, but it does not give me an
option to do anything with it. What can it be and how can I fix it?
Thanks!
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:29:48 PM

navygin21@yahoo.com wrote:

>Half way down the list of programs to remove it starts a black vertical
>line that seems to last forever, then is changes to 2 lines, the 3.

There is an invalid entry in the Registry at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall,
where the data for this list is stored. The invalid entry usually is
the next one after the one that is displayed before the list is
interrupted.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

Still no luck. I uninstalled the program above and below the lines and
then made sure the registry keys were deleted.
June 10, 2005 4:21:02 PM

I have exported it. I opened it with Word and it is 45 pages long, do
you want me copy and past it here?
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:37:17 PM

I figured that if I un-installed the program it would take it way from
the registry. After un-installing them I deleted the remaining folders
in the register, then I ran a registry cleaner. Another website
suggested a negative value for the icon, I check all
of them within the uninstall folder. All the ones that had it icons
listed did not have values at all, just a file name. There were two or
three that listed nothing under the icon section. I know a little
about editing the registry, but I would not do anything
without someone telling me to do so, and making a backup.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:15:16 AM

Why would you uninstall anything.

Export the registry key and post here.
Type regedit in Start Run

<navygin21@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1118426156.469336.12440@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Still no luck. I uninstalled the program above and below the lines and
> then made sure the registry keys were deleted.

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:21:46 AM

The symptoms are a little bit different. For -1 there is a white space that is selectable, as the white space is the space Add/Remove thinks the icon is (it thinks it's really big).

"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message news:o so$RaZbFHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> navygin21@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >Half way down the list of programs to remove it starts a black vertical
> >line that seems to last forever, then is changes to 2 lines, the 3.
>
> There is an invalid entry in the Registry at
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall,
> where the data for this list is stored. The invalid entry usually is
> the next one after the one that is displayed before the list is
> interrupted.
>
> --
> (tm)
> ICQ: 192649233
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:06:23 PM

There is a problem where -1 is used for an icon index. Positive and zero numbers mean the nth icon in a file (0 being the first icon, 1 is the second, ..., n is the nth + 1), Negative numbers, except for -1, is the resource ID of the icon (the number the programmer gave it when s/he refers to it - if they want to display an icon with a resource ID of 1025 they specify -1025). -1 is the total number of icons in the file. So instead of getting a valid handle to an icon it gets a number which is an invalid icon (or a random icon if you fluke it).

The icon parameter in Add/Remove is optional as Windows will guess the icon if you omit it, but may guess wrong. The only entries one needs is Uninstall String and Display String - Windows guesses all other values.

However your symptoms are a bit different. If -1 is used it's just a big blank icon that forces the text that is normally to the right of the icon to wrap below the space reserved for it. But it is WHITE and selectable.

email the file to david at mvps.org

<navygin21@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1118443037.505161.101070@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> I figured that if I un-installed the program it would take it way from
> the registry. After un-installing them I deleted the remaining folders
> in the register, then I ran a registry cleaner. Another website
> suggested a negative value for the icon, I check all
> of them within the uninstall folder. All the ones that had it icons
> listed did not have values at all, just a file name. There were two or
> three that listed nothing under the icon section. I know a little
> about editing the registry, but I would not do anything
> without someone telling me to do so, and making a backup.

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:52:12 PM

I also need this key as well

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products

And also some idea of what is above/below the black space. But I'm going to sleep now.

email the file to david at mvps.org

<navygin21@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1118443037.505161.101070@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> I figured that if I un-installed the program it would take it way from
> the registry. After un-installing them I deleted the remaining folders
> in the register, then I ran a registry cleaner. Another website
> suggested a negative value for the icon, I check all
> of them within the uninstall folder. All the ones that had it icons
> listed did not have values at all, just a file name. There were two or
> three that listed nothing under the icon section. I know a little
> about editing the registry, but I would not do anything
> without someone telling me to do so, and making a backup.

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:05:22 PM

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products
and this one.

email the file to david at mvps.org

<navygin21@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1118443037.505161.101070@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> I figured that if I un-installed the program it would take it way from
> the registry. After un-installing them I deleted the remaining folders
> in the register, then I ran a registry cleaner. Another website
> suggested a negative value for the icon, I check all
> of them within the uninstall folder. All the ones that had it icons
> listed did not have values at all, just a file name. There were two or
> three that listed nothing under the icon section. I know a little
> about editing the registry, but I would not do anything
> without someone telling me to do so, and making a backup.

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:39:02 PM

Still no luck. Since everything looks fine I guess I should do a fresh
install of Windows. Thanks for looking into it for me.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 6:52:35 AM

Ok. I made my registry exactly the same as yours. I don't see the problem. Everything is perfect.

This has fixed it for one person last week (from Ramesh).
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache

(it will be rebuilt from the other keys we've discussed here and via mail next time you open Add/Remove).

email the file to david at mvps.org

<navygin21@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1118443037.505161.101070@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> I figured that if I un-installed the program it would take it way from
> the registry. After un-installing them I deleted the remaining folders
> in the register, then I ran a registry cleaner. Another website
> suggested a negative value for the icon, I check all
> of them within the uninstall folder. All the ones that had it icons
> listed did not have values at all, just a file name. There were two or
> three that listed nothing under the icon section. I know a little
> about editing the registry, but I would not do anything
> without someone telling me to do so, and making a backup.

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:45:09 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to ignore it.

<navygin21@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1118511542.373238.276580@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Still no luck. Since everything looks fine I guess I should do a fresh
> install of Windows. Thanks for looking into it for me.

June 12, 2005 7:45:10 AM

If this is an icon problem, I remember something from earlier versions of
windows there was a file you could delete and it would be rebuilt. Seems
like it was called ShellIconCache or something like that. Is that type of
solution no longer workable in WinXP?

Clark

Wouldn't it be easier to ignore it.

<navygin21@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Still no luck. Since everything looks fine I guess I should do a fresh
> install of Windows. Thanks for looking into it for me.

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:49:41 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\David Candy\Local Settings\Application Data\IconCache.db
Is XP's equiv.
"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message news:ljGqe.2574$751.2453@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
> If this is an icon problem, I remember something from earlier versions of
> windows there was a file you could delete and it would be rebuilt. Seems
> like it was called ShellIconCache or something like that. Is that type of
> solution no longer workable in WinXP?
>
> Clark
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Wouldn't it be easier to ignore it.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> <navygin21@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Still no luck. Since everything looks fine I guess I should do a fresh
> > install of Windows. Thanks for looking into it for me.

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 10:40:55 AM

I beleive you mean the shell file that would appear on the desktop.
That is not the same.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

David: I could ignore, but not to sound too anal, it is something that
would always bother me. I like my computer to be squared away,
everything to be the way it is supposed to be. I do appreciate you
looking into it for me. I tried to call my tech support, but
apparently it does not cover software.

Clark: That didnt help either, but it never rebuilt itself.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:05:54 PM

Instead of reinstalling Windows, I started to go through and delete one
program at a time and I finally figured it out. It was a program
called ringtone ripper. It was not showing up the add/remove program
list but it was listed on the registry to be shown on the add/remove
program. So I just went through the registry and deleted everything
associated with ringtone ripper and it fixed the problem. Thanks for
all your help.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 7:37:52 PM

"navygin21" wrote:
> Instead of reinstalling Windows, I started to go through and
> delete one
> program at a time and I finally figured it out. It was a
> program
> called ringtone ripper. It was not showing up the add/remove
> program
> list but it was listed on the registry to be shown on the
> add/remove
> program. So I just went through the registry and deleted
> everything
> associated with ringtone ripper and it fixed the problem.
> Thanks for
> all your help.

I had the exact problem, fixed after I removed Hosts file manager
which I recently installed

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-Problem-Control-Pan...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1732418
Anonymous