Unknown

G

My problems began when I tried to download Microsoft Office 7 on a trial basis on my laptop. I wasn't successful (don't remember exactly what my problem was). I restarted my computer and came up with a Windows Installer problem that I couldn't clear with Windows Installer cleanup or an upgrade to Windows Installer 4.5 (?). I could access the Internet, but not my email on Outlook 3.

I decided to do a full reload of Windows XP Pro on the laptop. That apparently went well, but now I cannnot connect to the Internet (Windows Firewall is disabled). Access to email is okay on my desktop, and experts at AT&T U-Verse assure me that the problem is in my laptop.

What to do now to get Internet access now on my laptop?

Malcolm
(reply here or to mobrown@ameritech.net)

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
First step, see if your laptop has an IP address.

1. Open a DOS box
START-->RUN-->cmd [Enter]
2. in the DOS box type
ipconfig [Enter]

Did you get a legitimate address? (compare to same output on working machine).

Or did you get an address that starts with 169.

if the 169 address, you have a networking issue, possibly your router isn't giving DHCP information.

If no address, your network card isn't installed (or your wireless isn't associated)

If an IP address is returned, you should also get a gateway value. try and ping the gateway and then something outside...

Still in the DOS box...
ping 192.168.0.1 (replace numbers with actual gateway value)
ping 4.2.2.2

Both of those should give replies, not time outs.

I decided to do a full reload of Windows XP Pro on the laptop. That apparently went well, but now I cannnot connect to the Internet (Windows Firewall is disabled). Access to email is okay on my desktop, and experts at AT&T U-Verse assure me that the problem is in my laptop.

Install the system LAN driver.