Only your drivers will tell the story. 2900XT

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
That review is total BS; they only run 3 tests with antialiasing and anisotropic filtering enabled. If you're spending more than $400 on a videocard and you don't use antialiasing and anisotropic filtering, you'd have been better off spending that money on an Xbox. :roll:

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Well it is little more credible than the review the OP pointed to last time with no AA tests at all.
Have the driver's improved so much or has ATI marketing been successful at finding/funding review sites that will skew reviews to highlight the cards strengths while hiding it's weaknesses.
I know this sounds very anti ATI but ignoring AA/AS on a high end card is in no way reasonable.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/2900XT-engine-couldn-compete-ftopict240686.html

Edit:

Just looking quickly back at testing methodology Tweaktown seems consistent. In a past 8800gtx/oc/ultra review they due all no aa tests and then finish up with aa tests.

The Techspot review on the other hand is very suspect. In there past reviews of 8800gts and gtx they used AA throughout the tests.

http://www.techspot.com/review/47-asus-geforce-8800gts/

http://www.techspot.com/review/32-msi-geforce-8800gtx/

ringtone

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I know that some people are very bias, but it’s good to have some competition or we will only have $800+ cards from NVIDIA!

I don’t think you want that, so maybe you might want to consider saying a good thing or two about the 2900 and the future of both companies.

I even hope to see something from Intel.

Competition is needed or gaming will die.

Believe me if INTEL and NVIDIA have their way you will need a big money to buy their products.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I know that some people are very bias, but it’s good to have some competition or we will only have $800+ cards from NVIDIA!

I don’t think you want that, so maybe you might want to consider saying a good thing or two about the 2900 and the future of both companies.

Believe me if INTEL and NVIDIA have their way you will need a big money to buy their products.

All but the village idiot want to see a competitive marketplace. Are you suggesting that to further that goal people should sweep the dirt under the rug?
If a company has a less than competitive product they need to suck up the criticism and improve. Positive reinforcement is something you should practice with your children, not when spending your disposable income.

The only time I practice any kind of brand loyalty is in buying from the company from whom I derive my income.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Saying good thing about a card that second rate card helps nothing. All it does it tell the market we will buy an inferior product. In this case it look like this card wasn't ready for prime time and may need more than software drivers.

This is no different than evolution it's survival of the fittest. Trying to alter the natural order of things causes more harm than good. In this case I don't think AMD is on the endangered species list but it's leadership needs to be replaced ASAP. They have underestimated competition and rested on their laurels and shown utter incompetence in strategic leadership. In that regard I enjoy seeing them struggle they (leadership) deserve it. Now it's time for the stock holder to demand change to right the ship

Gaming on the PC is on the way out with or with out high-end graphics cards.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Im pretty sure the 2900XT can beat easily an 8800GTS 320mb (it does sometimes, but sometimes not)and compete against the higher brothers 8800GTS 640MB and 8800GTX, is just that AMD is not working (or they do it with so much patience) on the drivers.

Once they release a good one that unleashes the power of the 2900 series, it will be a real competition between the 2 brands.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

So questioning a review that does not use antialiasing and anisotropic filtering is wrong? If AMD had their way, they'd to the same as Intel and Nvidia.