Custom PC hard drive issues

hlftopdog

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
Hi all,

I've had a call out today to a chap who's built his own pc (he's 13!) but couldn't get the monitor to turn on. I sorted that out and the dvd drive issues but something I can't get my head around is a problem with getting windows going.

Now, I've not set up sata systems before, it's been a long time since a hardware call out (I'm normally web design, tuition and databases), but figured i'd give it a shot.

The drive is in correctly, in bios I can set the SATA mode as Raid or IDE. When using Raid the system stalls before we get to a windows screen. It pops up with a message about Linux or tabbing to go to User Window. If I tab I'm taken to a screen which shows the drive is being found, but it alerts me that there arent enough drives to set up in Raid.

So, when I choose IDE as the Sata mode windows tries to start, it gets to the XP logo page then it goes black and comp reboots - even trying it in safe mode.

We've got a Vista disk... So I formatted the hard drive (it was from an old pc with xp on it) and we started the Vista install. Booting from CD, obviously, led to the install screen. We start installing but it seems to be failing on 'Expanding Files' and was stuck on 0% for 15 minutes before I gave up and told him I'd try to figure out what was going on.

Can anyone help? Is this is a common problem with Vista? Am I doing something wrong with the SATA drive? Why would it keep failing to boot from Windows XP?

The spec is

Hard drive: SATA 160gb 7200rpm
CD drive: DVD R/RW
Motherboard: MSI PT890-V Neo LGA775
Memory RAM: Two 1gb modules
Processor: 775 Intel Pentium 4 3.6ghz (OEM)
CPU Heatsink/Fan: Akasa AK-960E LGA775
Case: Aria "Darkstar" Midi tower with 500W PSU (Shinobi SH09A)
Graphics Card: MSI nVidia GeForce 8600GTS 256mb T2D256EZ
Fans: 1 at the front 120mm neon blue came with case, and 1 from old PC 80mm.

kaizoman

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Wow. I have ran into this issue many times. The trouble is that while the windows installer will see the drive and load the drive as an installable media. The NT boot-loader that actually starts up the kernel and boots the OS doesn't.

I know that it is frustrating, but if you use the motherboard disk, there should be SATA drivers on there for windows. You have to hook up a floppy drive to another machine, load the drivers on the floppy, then hook the floppy up to the machine you're loading.

When loading windows and it asks you to press F6 to load 3rd party drivers, do that and load the drivers on the floppy to the installer.

[edit]
This also applies to Vista. There is an option to load drivers on the installer screen when you are selecting what drive you want to install it on. While the initial installer can see the drive, without the right drivers it wont work right. Get the driver disk and load it to the floppy and you'll be good.
[/edit]

I hope that helps, let me know how it goes.