Memory goes randomly idle

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Looking for help on a strange, infrequent issue I'm having.

I have an older system - specs as follows:
Asus ASV Deluxe Mobo with 1017.002 Bios
FX-60 processor (stock speeds presently)
2 sticks Cosair CMX512-3200XLPRO 2-2-2-5 1T @ 2.8V (rated for this)
x1950 PRO 512MB (stock speeds presently)
2 raptor 73GB HD's in Raid0
600W Ultra PS (their better model if there is such a thing)

At any rate, the issue I'm having is infrequent and seemingly random - best I've been able to do is narrow it down to occuring only after the system has been on for some time - typcially at least 24 or more hours but I can't say for sure that its never happened sooner.

The memory has leds on it to show simulated activity - typically its pegged in the red. But when the issue occurs, the leds go black - there appears to be no activity in the RAM and the system is unresponsive. Nothing I do will bring it back but a hard reset.

Its almost like the system is going into hibernation - but it won't come out of it and this has happened at least one while I was using the system (most times it has occured when I had the system on for long periods and it was just idling).

Any thoughts on what could possibly be the cause of something like this?

Thx,
Sdrac

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Just looked.
On the 'Power scheme' tab it has the montior turning off after an hour, everthing else set to 'never'.

Under the 'Hibernate' tab, however, 'enable hibernation' is checked. I also have a UPS that the systems is plugged into. The UPS tab though says that the service is currently stopped. Which seems odd.

Could something in this area be the cause? I've never really payed much attention to the power options, so any advice appreciated.

Sdrac

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
I really don't know for sure. But it was the first thing coming to mi mind when you said it happened after idling for some time. One other thing I was thinking of: You have pretty good RAM sticks. Are you running any software for these load-lights? Or any other software running that could cause the problem? Probably some process that slowly fills up your RAM and when it's full Windows starts swapping?

TRENDING THREADS