suep

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

No, just won't open. Also tried to do a restore and couldn't get the calendar to go back to previous months. I had bought office home & student and can't get that to open either. seems to be when my problems started.

suep

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

Ran malwarebytes, it found a couple of Trojans. Still didn't fix problem. Ran autoruneater and it found all kinds of errors. Didn't buy since malware said there were errors. But on the report there were activeX problems. Might that be my problem? When I go to run updates it always says I need to insall activeX and to right click below address bar. Nothing ever comes up.

ActiveX shouldn't affect the system tools. It's more for online purposes. If you need activeX, you can download it at CNet.

Now that you've done some scans, download ccleaner and scan your registry for errors. There's a good chance the trojans messed up your registry, causing the system tools not to run.

suep

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

Did all of the above. Still can't get in. Seriously considering a Mac.

Did you do ^^ in safe mode? Did ccleaner find any errors in the registry?

In addition to malwarebytes, I usually use Avira to double check my system. You may want to give that a shot in case malwarebytes missed something.

The malware may have done more serious damage. A windows repair or reinstall may be needed.

TRENDING THREADS