New Cooling System - EVGA 680I

jixz

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I'm done messing with water cooling, too many issues, so I'm looking in to a good CPU heat sink. Any suggestions as to where to look? I'm really looking for an at least " quite " system, im sick of the stock 1,000,000 dB fan from Intel. Keep in mind that I do have an EVGA 680I and please tell me of any modifications to the unit I would have to make if you know about them.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Good for you! Pumping water through my computer always makes me nervous. The Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme is considered to be the best on many sites. It doesn't come with a fan so you can check www.silentpcreview.com and get the fan with the right airflow/noise. I use a Scythe S-Flex SFF21F, SPCR's 2nd highest rated 120mm fan. I like it, it's very quiet and has great airflow.

jixz

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
ya, i use those fans in my system already .. very happy. Ive heard a little about that cooler, but any more suggestions, just to have a few more opinions?

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Their non-extreme is almost the same, just fewer heat-pipes. Cheaper too, although coming from water-cooling I doubt that cost is too big a factor. The Tuniq Tower 120 is also a good cooler, but it comes with a fan that is louder than the S-Flex, so I don't think it's worth it.

jixz

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
mmk.. im gona throw these 3 out there and can i get some opinions on them?

ZALMAN / CNPS9500
Ultra / X-Wind
Thermaltake / Max Orb

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
ZALMAN / CNPS9500
Ultra / X-Wind
Thermaltake / Max Orb

1. Zalman 9700 is better and bigger although depending on your case it might not fit. The 9500 is very good but you can find a cooler which performs the same for less.

2. Both coolers you mentioned next are little more than clones of 5 year old Zalman designs (7000 series)

The Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is a fairly popular cooler and very inexpensive for it's performance but I would have to agree with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme being the best.

Edit: I stole this from someone who stole it from somewhere else, is that still plagiarism, I don't know but these are all good coolers.

-Scythe Infinity
-Scythe Ninja Plus
-Scythe Mine
-Tuniq Tower 120
-Thermalright Ultra-120 or SI-128 or SI-120
-Noctua NH-U12
-Thermaltake Big Typhoon

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
This link will tell you everything you need to know:

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2981

Be advised that I have read many reviews of the 120 extreme which stated that the base was a little concave. Thermalright is also expected to release a new cooler sometime this month (the IFX-14), but no data is available yet.

Also notice that the 120 extreme in the AnandTech review uses the 680i MB. FYI, I also have the same MB and am getting ready to order this heatsink.

jixz

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
so the ultra-120 is the most popular vote so far? Its not passive is it?.. I haven't been able to find any pics with a fan attached, or see any way to do this.. pics would be great.

Edit: Nvm, i found one..

jixz

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Hmm, well i was at frys seeing if they even had the 120, and for some reason my mom decided to pay for the ultra Chill TEC, the one with the thermo electric-chip. Im assuming that this is better then the 120 ~_~? I had read some reviews.. but the price was too much for me.. but i guess not my mom

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
I'm done messing with water cooling, too many issues, so I'm looking in to a good CPU heat sink. Any suggestions as to where to look? I'm really looking for an at least " quite " system, im sick of the stock 1,000,000 dB fan from Intel. Keep in mind that I do have an EVGA 680I and please tell me of any modifications to the unit I would have to make if you know about them.

FrozenCPU has a wide selection of Water cooling products you could use.

Also have you seen the new EVGA 680i SLi, called the Black Pearl that will be coming out soon. That is equiped for Water Cooling, check it out.
http://www.evga.com/articles/365.asp

phassat

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Just got my Ultra 120 Extreme and can't wait to install it... based on reviews, it's the best you can get for air cooler for now.... S-Flex will makes good duo with Ultra 120 Extreme and quiet.... I've considered Delta at once but it will be noisy

phassat

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Hmm, well i was at frys seeing if they even had the 120, and for some reason my mom decided to pay for the ultra Chill TEC, the one with the thermo electric-chip. Im assuming that this is better then the 120 ~_~? I had read some reviews.. but the price was too much for me.. but i guess not my mom

Your mom use one for her system? Cool... if I bring my heatsink to my mom's house, she will ask 'what're you going to do with that freakin steel.....'

cdl1701

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Water cooling in my opinion is the only way to go... If done right there will be no problems. I have done 3 rigs and never had one leak.