Overclocking Rumor

Wilymakeit

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Hello I purchased an Intel P4 3.2 used and put it in a new motherboard, the brand new Intel Heatsink and fan is running at 2700RPM and I find the CPU giving off alot of heat, I have been told by a local Computer shop that this CPU was overclocked and there is no reversing it. He claims Microsoft got tired of replacing CPU's under warranty so they added this feature to the P4's, is this true?

the guy at your computer shop must have been on shrooms when he told you that.

It has nothing to do with microsoft
It may be overclocked, check your BIOS settings.

P4s run HOT, thats all there is to it.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Hello I purchased an Intel P4 3.2 used and put it in a new motherboard, the brand new Intel Heatsink and fan is running at 2700RPM and I find the CPU giving off alot of heat, I have been told by a local Computer shop that this CPU was overclocked and there is no reversing it. He claims Microsoft got tired of replacing CPU's under warranty so they added this feature to the P4's, is this true?
Microsoft should be tired of replacing CPUs under warranty, because they don't even make them. The majority of modern CPU's are manufactured by Intel, while the rest are made by AMD. Overclocking is done through the motherboard, and the chip does not save any information. The CPU gives off a lot of heat by design, not because it was ever overclocked.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

My first reaction to that was: "Ummmmm,What?!" :roll:

1. The mobo controls Overclocking for the most part.
2. MS does not make User and server level CPU's
3. P4's runs very hot.
4. Depending on how the Bios is set is how fast the fan will run.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I have been told by a local Computer shop that this CPU was overclocked and there is no reversing it. He claims Microsoft got tired of replacing CPU's under warranty so they added this feature to the P4's, is this true?

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Oh man! I haven't had a laugh like that all night!

I wouldn't even know where to start fixing that statement. I don't think there are 3 consecutive words that are accurate!

Oh man, that is funny stuff....

Wilymakeit

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Sorry my misprint, I meant Intel P4 not microsoft, and the board is not overclocked, all settings were checked in the Bios and are set to standard, I have a friend with the similar system, CPU temperature is 28 degrees Celcius and the Intel fan is running at 1600 RPM, I have seen many articles where overclocking causes CPU temperature problems, and a sign that the CPU has been overclocked is the CPU fan running at max, my fan runs between 2400-2700 RPM, and I tried a new Intel Fan and it is running at the same speed

Wilymakeit

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I am running the ASUS P5P800SE and I do not see any fan speed setting in the BIOS, the board pretty much auto detects the CPU and see's it as an Intel P4 3.2 gig (3200) running on an 800 FSB and Overclocking is set to Standard (0%), so I would say MotherBoard is running the fan at Max trying to get the temperature down

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I know some Mobo's, Like mine, Give you the option to change the fan speed based on the temp that the Bios is detecting. I keep mine running pretty High Anyways though, and my CPU runs much cooler.