Network looses connection. Wireless monitor software?

rpheckenkamp

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Hello all.

I have a recent home network problem.

My Desktop PC used to be connected to the router via ethernet, however now I am in a different room. I grabbed an older PCI wireless adapter out of an older machine to stick in mine so I could connect to the internet. It could just be coincidence, but since then I have had major network stability problems. Everyone in the house looses internet connection. On all of ours, the network icon in Windows says "Local Only" instead of "Local and Internet". It takes several minutes before we are all automatically connected back to the internet. This used to happen every 30 minutes, but since then I have restore the factory settings on the router and then redid all the security. Since then, it still happens about twice a day.

Router is D-Link WBR-2310
Internet service is 1.5mbps AT&T DSL

There are 3 wireless devices (Toshiba notebook bought within the last year, Compaq notebook bought within the last year, and the older D-Link PCI wireless adapter in my desktop) I can give specifics later if you need them.

A theory I have is the number of connections is causing the problem. I use the Digsby chat client, which lets me sign on to AIM, Windows Live Messenger, and Facebook
chat, and Yahoo email all at once. In addition, my email client Thunderbird has two email accounts that it is connected to 24/7. I also often run utorrent, however when I have that application closed I still have problems.

Could my number of connections at the Application layer with the addition to 2 other wireless devices in the house contribute to this problem?

Is there some free software I can use to monitor the network and help determine the problem? I thought about using a packet sniffer, but I decided that's too much work. I'm sure there's something better out there.

Thank you

akhilles

Splendid
A network part has to be able to handle the specs. Otherwise, it can pay a visit to the sledgehammer. :)

1. Disable Super G Mode. Uncheck Enable Extended Range Mode. Check 802.11g Only Mode (unless you have a 802.11b). Uncheck Enable Hidden Wireless. Disable Security Mode as a test for an hour. Once everything is up, enable it.

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/wbr2310/wireless.htm

2. If you get 1-3 bars out of 5 in windows wireless, you may have a signal issue. You can only solve this by upgrading to a directional antenna pointed at the router. Other things to try is reduce interference: i.e. microwave, cellphones, etc.

You can try netstumbler.