Closed Solved

Replace Vista64Bit by Windows 7

One hard drive (SATA) has XP Pro SP3 (I have installation disk) the 2nd hard drive (SATA) has Vista64Bit SP1 ultimate. There is a dual boot, XP first and Vista 2nd. Please, what is the correct way to replace the Vista64Bit Ultimate by the Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate (regular installation disk)? Or is it a good idea to use Partition Commander 11 sofware to add Windows 7 on one of those hard drives, e.g. XP hard drive (SATA), as a separate system with a separate boot?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about replace vista64bit windows
  1. If you got a spare drive, make a back-up of your current Vista drive, then run the upgrade. If something goes wrong with the upgrade, you can just restore. My experience of Vista->Win7 was very good.
  2. Best answer
    i never recommend upgrading Operating Systems.
    Either partition one of your hard drives, or get a new one and do a fresh install.
    Even if you have the WIn7 upgrade disk, you can do a fresh install as long as you also have the previous OS installed on the same PC.
  3. Best answer selected by bartos.
  4. Thank you Kewlx25 and arges86 for your support. You both deserve *****.
    I used Partition Commander 11 (32-bit since 64-bit has issues) to clean two SATA disks of partitions and for formating. Then, I installed XP Pro SP3 (32-bit, full version installation disk) on one SATA and Win7 (64-bit, full version installation disk) on the second SATA. DVD/CD drive in BIOS was ahead of the SATA. One SATA was restricted with X in BIOS. Both systems work fine. Win7 seems to be running better than VISTA. Laptop has Intel XEON processor (seen with 4 processors in Device Manager), 3GHz.
  5. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Windows XP Hard Drives SATA Windows Vista