Best Quad Core OCing Motherboard

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Quad Core
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
June 16, 2007 7:38:03 PM

I'm gunna get a q6600 when intel drops prices and was wondering what is the best OC motherboard for quads. I would also like it to be under $300, and I don't need SLI. The only thing I would want is good onboard sound.

Hear is the futures I want in order from needed to just a nice thing to add.

OCing, nice accesories that come in the case(cables and stuff), save money, onboard sound, easy use, well reviewed, SLI.

Thank you for reading!!!!! :lol: 

More about : quad core ocing motherboard

June 17, 2007 1:05:36 AM

nobody really likes to talk about mobos i guess...
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 17, 2007 2:07:41 AM

P5N32-E SLI Plus (650i) springs to mind.

I also like these, but they're probably more than you want to pay:

P5N32-E SLI (680i)
Asus Striker Extreme
Gigabyte N680SLI-DQ6
Related resources
June 17, 2007 2:48:42 AM

I don't think the MB will be the issue as it's not going to OC like a e6600. Cooling is likely to be more important. I have the same plans and all my research is on building a custom water cooling solution.

I'm interested in what others say though.
June 17, 2007 3:24:10 AM

would those mobos be better than the evga 680i A1 SLI that I was origionally getting. I probably would not go for the striker, but how about the other 2?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 17, 2007 6:28:41 PM

The eVGA A1 is great too. Haven't tried it myself but lots of people in forums have it and love it.

The P5N32-E mobos are very similar to the Striker, they just lack some frills and have less ambitious cooling.

The Gigabyte N680i-DQ6 is excellent but very expensive. You pay for quality I guess. It has all solid capacitors, eSATA ports, etc. - the richest set of features of all 680i mobos according to an Anandtech review.

If you care about sound quality you should get an X-Fi card, not rely on onboard. Just make sure you have a PCI slot for it. It adds a few fps in some games too, apparently.
June 17, 2007 6:33:33 PM

how about the ASUS P5K deluxe v.s. the EVGA A1 SLI. They are about the same price so I was wondering what would be a better mobo.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 17, 2007 7:05:52 PM

The Asus P5K is great, if you don't need SLI. So is the Gigabyte P35-DS4.

Read this:

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=644

They got a E6700 to 3.80 GHz using P5K 8O

Avoid P5K3, you don't want something that requires DDR3.
June 17, 2007 7:10:56 PM

trust me i got my BFG N force 680i SLI i think u can get for under $250
runs up to DDR 800 8 gigs max duel channel and socket 775,

This baby rocks for Ocing can unlink the memory and FSb got my duo 2 core from 2.4 to 3.0 GHz (still keeping my ram at 666 MHz) Easy and thats with stock cooling got lovely voltage controls can raise the FSb to massive amounts cant remeber how high but its massive,

6 sata's built in RAIDs 0,1,5 set ups , comes with new link boost tech from n vidia that boosts the power to ya board to PCI-E giving right out of the box 25% performance boost to your G cards

built in HD ##audio##

duel gigabit ethernet with new tech from n vidia first packet and duel net
basicly u can link to connections together for one super powerful internet connection ! even get a fan for ya board to keep it cool .

best board i ever had an i meen ever , alot better then my last asus i had

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=0...

see more info of this like where a guy says how toms hardware recomend thsi board
June 17, 2007 7:26:09 PM

So the p5k only supports DDR2!?!?
June 17, 2007 7:30:32 PM

i wouldnt worrie about DDR 3 for a while yet i really wouldnt DDR2 is fast enuff for the moment
June 17, 2007 7:33:16 PM

Ok so then what other features does the P35 have over 680i other than the awsome OC.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 17, 2007 8:21:36 PM

A P5K3 is "Asus P5K3 Deluxe", a mobo that supports DDR3 and not DDR2. Avoid it because DDR3 is not a good investment this year. Maybe a year from now.

Asus P5K supports only DDR2 and it's good.

That BFG board sounds good, I'd better research it. Thanks dannyboy! The problem with all 680i boards is they seem to have a bug when all RAM slots are in use. It's in the chipset, not BFG's fault. I'm still trying to figure out if it has been fixed by now.

P35 is not that good compared to 680i. Support for DDR3 is the only interesting advantage of P35. On the other hand, P35 does not support SLI or LinkBoost, while 680i does.
June 17, 2007 11:11:55 PM

well the only and i meen only reason i said about the BFG board is that i use it and i have had no bugs with it at all no problems yet to report and no problems with ram

i heard that the first batch of BFGs had a load of problems but this was down to nvidia duel to fact they make all of the new boards and just BFG or other companys put there own touchs on them BFG have the far best BIOS out on these boards this is why i think its a great overclocking board
June 18, 2007 12:35:20 AM

Aside from SLi support why do you think that it's not a good chipset? A number of sites have posted their highest overclocks with this chipset. I also believe that power draw is much better than the nforce which would help offset the greater consumption of the quad.
June 18, 2007 12:52:34 AM

well my n force board can go well over FSb of 1333 which is same as P35 so over all i thik n force board is alot better in fact i read some where that it ca go up to 2000 but dont hold me to that since i havent checked
June 18, 2007 5:06:00 AM

So 680i boards can get a better OC than the p35 boards??!!?!? I thought the P35 beat the 680i. Like I said I dont care for SLI, I just want a nice board with good OC abilities and the 1333 FSB. I guess DDR3 sucks now and stuff.
June 18, 2007 2:45:04 PM

P35 is currently the best chipset for oc quads (X38 may be better again, who knows).
June 18, 2007 3:29:56 PM

For the Q6600 I would go with the EVGA mother board. It is pretty good. Also maybe the new P35 Asus boards.
June 20, 2007 12:36:29 AM

I have the Evga NF68 A1 as well...no complaints. My QX6700 ran to 3.6, allbeit with too much heat for air..so it's gone and my E6600 runs 3.68 on air at very good temps.I probably could go higher. It's great for overclocking and Evga is GREAT fr support and replacements.
June 20, 2007 1:17:02 PM

can you unlink the memory from the cpu on the p35 boards cos if u cant then the 680i is far better over clocking board
June 20, 2007 11:38:52 PM

I think i am gunna go P35.

So can you guys recommend the best P35 board, strickly for gaming and OCing.

I was looking at the recent THG article and it said the ASUS deluxe has the best gaming performance, but the OC wasn't the best. So what would be a happy medium?
June 22, 2007 1:07:47 AM

BUMP
<('_'<)

KIRBY!!!!
June 22, 2007 3:50:02 AM

The IP35 Pro is getting a lot of positive feedback in the forums & it's reasonably priced.

Quote:
can you unlink the memory from the cpu on the p35 boards cos if u cant then the 680i is far better over clocking board

No, you can't but you won't see too many nF6 boards doing 480+ fsb with a quad ... :twisted:
June 22, 2007 4:01:03 AM

I'd avoid the EVGA 680i's at all costs, especially with a quad-core.

I've had to have four of the boards RMA'd already, working on my fifth. Three of the boards they sent out were dead right out of the box. It has an annoying habit of working fine and blowing up, killing your ram. If that doesn't happen, it will decide to simply post a -|- code which means your board is dead.

When you talk to tech support, they will try to convince you it is every other part that is wrong.

It might be a good board, but it sucks for Quad-Cores. I can't even even use both my 8800GTXs at the same time.

Check out their forums, there are many posts about problems, dead boards, no post codes, etc...

Oh, and I have tested my parts in other 680i boards and all the "problems" disappear. So, you add it all up.
June 22, 2007 5:08:15 AM

Wow I ended up in someone's sig...

If you really want to save money, get this Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. It doesn't have much bells and whistles, but it can overclock your CPU like an F-22 on afterburner.

You can also look at the pricier Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6.
June 23, 2007 5:24:07 AM

I am thinking about the Abit because it OC pretty good, over the gigabite because it got lower scores on the benchmarks.
June 23, 2007 6:21:59 AM

Quote:
I am thinking about the Abit because it OC pretty good, over the gigabite because it got lower scores on the benchmarks.
If you get anything other than a P35, then you are making a very big mistake. Read this review carefully.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2989&p=4

Edit: The board I like is:

GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
It has slots for DDR2 & DDR3.
They have several others with more features 1394 etc. but I like the ability to upgrade to DDR3 when they get the timings worked out and lower the price.
June 23, 2007 6:23:50 AM

Quote:
I'm gunna get a q6600 when intel drops prices and was wondering what is the best OC motherboard for quads. I would also like it to be under $300, and I don't need SLI. The only thing I would want is good onboard sound.

Hear is the futures I want in order from needed to just a nice thing to add.

OCing, nice accesories that come in the case(cables and stuff), save money, onboard sound, easy use, well reviewed, SLI.

Thank you for reading!!!!! :lol: 

The best OC MB's for any amount of "cores" has been DFI for many years.
They have held top place in the worlds OC contest held in Taiwan for the last 3 of the past 4 years they have compeated.
They hold the worlds OC for the C2 when it came out late last year...and now have the worlds top rated 680i MB.

They use server rated voltage regulators and the best capasitors.
They have onboard heatpipe cooling for chipsets and voltage regulators that far out preform all other MB makers AND they are removable should you wish to install your own cooling...unlike all other MB makers products without voiding warrenty.

In fact on the latest DFI MB those heatpipe coolers (which look alot like custom Thermalright products) come in a box for the user to place on the MB!

They are a MB of the same class as PC Power & Cooling PSU's, Thermalright air coolers or Coolermaster cases are to those functions.

EDIT: For OB sound DFI uses a plugin 8 chnl sound unit that cuts electric "crosstalk" from the MB and sound unit functions....makeing each preform at maximum.
Unlike Asus's attempt it does not use up a "slot" position but rather the regular IO sound connection place on a case.

EDIT-EDIT: I used mostly Asus in the past but they all have failed and needed warrenty repair in 2 1/2-3 years and althought Asus in California has been very good with a 10 day turn around DFI beat them.
The ONLY DFI case in hand was one unit developed a "buzz" on the mic input after 3 months (not a system stopping fualt like the Ausus boards) and without sending in the old unit they sent me a new one via UPS that I had the following day (DFI is also in California) with only a phone call.

As it turned out nothing was wrong with the sound unit ,it was a bad ground on the DSL line. The point is that DFI not only makes the best product it has the best/fastest no hassle warrenty as well.

Anyone that has ever gone over to DFI and taken the time to set them up (they are not like other brands you NEED to read the manual) has never gone back to the another MB makers.

If you just want to set up a system "plug-n-play" style go with Asus or Gigabite (now the same company and now OC about the same),but the parts you put on those MB's will never reach full usage and for the past 3 years or so Asus has suffered from bad capasitors/fans from it's providers.
They both provide a good product given the 2 1/2-3 year life span I have had with them in the past decade of builds for myself and profit...but they are far out gunned by DFI's better product in every respect in my opinion.
!