Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 over E6850 come July 22nd for gaming rig?

Last response: in CPUs
June 16, 2007 7:46:04 PM

Hello,

I plan to build my first gaming rig come July 22nd to take advantage of the Intel price drops.

I don't plan to overclock nor run an SLI config.

Update: sorry for posting this topic again, i just did a search but my dilemma is:

Everyone says C2D for gaming, quad for anything else.

But games coming out this year and next, Crysis + Alan Wake, will be able to take advantage of the quad cores. So saying "C2D" is for gaming isn't legit since at least these 2 supposed great games will take advantage of the quad.

So.. will these games run faster on the Q6600 quad compared to the E6850?

Again, I plan to run everything at stock, no overclocking, so I'd like to get an idea of what to do.
June 16, 2007 8:09:26 PM

The general consensus to that question is quad. It obviously runs hotter and can't overclock as well but it's more future proof. Now if you're planning on upgrading in say 6 months then i'd say definetly just get the E6850. Most programs today don't utilize 4 cores so it will beat it due to the 600 mhz speed advantage.

OR.. You COULD overclock and get 2 in 1. Buy the Q6600 and oc it up to 3.0 ghz fairly easy on stock cooling.
June 16, 2007 8:12:44 PM

OK.. well.. I don't plan on overclocking or upgrading for at least 1 year minimun, hopefully 2. So I guess it makes sense to get the quad then?

I'd like the system to be able to run the latest games for at least 1-2 years.

My current system is 6 years old. :wink:
Related resources
June 16, 2007 9:30:49 PM

Quote:
The general consensus to that question is quad. It obviously runs hotter and can't overclock as well but it's more future proof. Now if you're planning on upgrading in say 6 months then i'd say definetly just get the E6850. Most programs today don't utilize 4 cores so it will beat it due to the 600 mhz speed advantage.

OR.. You COULD overclock and get 2 in 1. Buy the Q6600 and oc it up to 3.0 ghz fairly easy on stock cooling.

I'm stuck in the same position. I want a E6850, but a Q6600 is very appealing too. Ill still have the computer in my sig though, so I'm very close to settling on the Q6600.
June 17, 2007 1:55:19 AM

Go Quad... :D 
!