Q6600 over E6850 come July 22nd for gaming rig?

meatnub

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Hello,

I plan to build my first gaming rig come July 22nd to take advantage of the Intel price drops.

I don't plan to overclock nor run an SLI config.

Update: sorry for posting this topic again, i just did a search but my dilemma is:

Everyone says C2D for gaming, quad for anything else.

But games coming out this year and next, Crysis + Alan Wake, will be able to take advantage of the quad cores. So saying "C2D" is for gaming isn't legit since at least these 2 supposed great games will take advantage of the quad.

So.. will these games run faster on the Q6600 quad compared to the E6850?

Again, I plan to run everything at stock, no overclocking, so I'd like to get an idea of what to do.

prof_chaos

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
The general consensus to that question is quad. It obviously runs hotter and can't overclock as well but it's more future proof. Now if you're planning on upgrading in say 6 months then i'd say definetly just get the E6850. Most programs today don't utilize 4 cores so it will beat it due to the 600 mhz speed advantage.

OR.. You COULD overclock and get 2 in 1. Buy the Q6600 and oc it up to 3.0 ghz fairly easy on stock cooling.

meatnub

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
OK.. well.. I don't plan on overclocking or upgrading for at least 1 year minimun, hopefully 2. So I guess it makes sense to get the quad then?

I'd like the system to be able to run the latest games for at least 1-2 years.

My current system is 6 years old. :wink:

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
The general consensus to that question is quad. It obviously runs hotter and can't overclock as well but it's more future proof. Now if you're planning on upgrading in say 6 months then i'd say definetly just get the E6850. Most programs today don't utilize 4 cores so it will beat it due to the 600 mhz speed advantage.

OR.. You COULD overclock and get 2 in 1. Buy the Q6600 and oc it up to 3.0 ghz fairly easy on stock cooling.

I'm stuck in the same position. I want a E6850, but a Q6600 is very appealing too. Ill still have the computer in my sig though, so I'm very close to settling on the Q6600.