Sign in with
Your question

8800 GTX price to drop anytime soon?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2007 8:09:39 PM

I will be building my first gaming rig after July 22nd to take advantage of the Intel price drops.

I can't justify the current price of the GTX, so I will be going for the GTS 640.

Will the price on these cards be dropping anytime around August does anyone have an idea?

And will a 8800 GTS 640k + 2 or 3 gigs of ram be enough to run Crysis at 1440x900 with max settings?

I just want to make sure I'm building a decent gaming rig. I won't be overclocking or running SLI either.

Thanks!
June 16, 2007 8:52:19 PM

Quote:
And will a 8800 GTS 640k + 2 or 3 gigs of ram be enough to run Crysis at 1440x900 with max settings?

Maybe, maybe not.

As for price drops, I don't think so, but you never know.
June 16, 2007 9:19:42 PM

It's all up to you on the GTX or 640 version. But overall don't expect the g80 series to perform extremely well in DX10. That's the biggest problem ATM. If you HAVE to get a new computer then the 640 version should do you fine. But I doubt you'll be able to play crysis on maxed out settings.

ATM it's a VERY bad time to buy new hardware. Especially with all these new processors and gpu's coming out in a few months. You have penryn and the x38 chipset coming out within 2-4 months depending on if intel wants to ship early...Barcelona around september (if it's still on track...kinda scary though)...And the new nvidia g90 and ATI counterpart series coming out near the end of this year. The G90 is sad to say VASTLY more powerful then the g80 series..Which makes me feel bad for the people that dished out so much money for a DX10 card that won't be able to run it fluidly...Of course there is no DX10 game really out ATM so we can't really tell how well it performs..But the first generation isn't always that great of a contender in the new Direct X formats.

the G90 and the ATI RD700 series are going to be beasts...the G92 series is said to be above 1 Teraflop which is quite impressive. But I expect the G90 to be around the same league considering the leaps in power these suckers have.

Overall the G80 and rd600 series of ati cards will be able to play crysis..But don't hold your breath for fantastic frame rates at high settings. Crysis is said to be launched near the end of this year. With the g90 series releasing around the same time. If you're building this new rig specifically for crysis I would recommend waiting...No point in buying a rig for the game when it's not out yet. Especially when they will/have release/d the g90 series around the same time which is MUCH better suited for the game...The g80 series are fantastic cards..But for DX10 I don't think they'll be such a great investment...Not a wise buy in my eyes. (although it is the top performer atm ^_^...but for me considering DX10 I'd rather wait for the G90 and RD700 series at the end of the year.)

I know it sounds like a bummer to wait but I've put my new rig on hold as well..Waiting for the x38 chipset and a penryn processor instead of jumping from my p4 3.2 prescott to a conroe processor..Which would be an enormous jump...I'd rather wait for penryn and the g90 to further future proof myself.

If you want you can look into getting a p35 based chipset. That way you can upgrade to a penryn processor no problem. But IMO I'mma wait for x38 to get PCI Express 2.0 to future proof as much as possible.
Related resources
June 16, 2007 9:59:35 PM

True. im also waiting for the x38 chipset and the new gpu cards coming at christmas, the problem is that i wanna sli the g90's and the x38 wont be able to do that :(  .. unless ATI's R700 series kick's nvidia's ass ''tho i doubt it'' i will be using crossfire.
June 16, 2007 10:04:41 PM

RD600 is a motherboard chipset, R600 is the GPU you're talking about. :wink:

As far as the 8800GTX and HD 2900XT performing poorly in Direct X10, it's really yet to be seen, and who knows, the 8800GTX and HD 2900XT may both be fast enough to run Crysis at the maximum in game quality. Either way, I will have enjoyed my 8800GTX as no other card has been able to provide an Oblivion experience like it.
June 16, 2007 10:12:28 PM

yeah the 8800gtx is a beast but im pretty sure it wont play at highest detail unless its sli'd and even then the framerates might not be that good

anyway i dont care for dx10 yet, aint gonna use it for a looong time.
June 17, 2007 1:12:08 AM

Ack..Yea..I meant R700...lol..Not Rd. I apologize for that. But just to make sure I'm no way bashing ont he 8800 by my prior post. I'd love to have a 8800 in this sucker. That thing is indeed a beast. But for DX10 games probably not as much. It's nice and all to see DX10 cards out but I don't see the point since there are no games...No point in buying it atm till it comes around the corner with crysis and future titles.

But regarding the X38...I thought they had a SLI solution under that chipset. Am I wrong on this?

Overall I'm just glad I'm still going for a single card if that's the case. I'm planning to get a top of the line x30 mobo and near top penryn when they come out. I'll probably stick with ddr2 since ddr3 will be overpriced when it comes around time to buy my rig. not sure as of yet till I see the situation with DDR3 when it comes around to purchasing time. But I'm planning to nab some good memory and a top g90 or R700 series card ^_^..Can't wait for that...Comparing that to me 3.2 prescott and x700 pro it'll be like comparing a Hyundai to a Mercedes ^.^
June 17, 2007 6:06:55 AM

what about the 2950 xt or whatever they call it. isnt that coming out pretty soon. seems like it should be a step up and worth the buy.
June 17, 2007 6:27:55 AM

The current ATI cards aren't worth the money imo. If you're playing older games then any card out on the market will do. But if you want some good DX10 based cards...Better to wait till the end of the year.
June 17, 2007 7:06:18 AM

Quote:

I know it sounds like a bummer to wait but I've put my new rig on hold as well..Waiting for the x38 chipset and a penryn processor instead of jumping from my p4 3.2 prescott to a conroe processor..Which would be an enormous jump...I'd rather wait for penryn and the g90 to further future proof myself.

I was planning on getting an 8800GTS myself September 15 or so, since Agena's not going to be out until Q1 2008. Considering this budget motherboard, rather than flashing the bios when new AMD quad cores arrive, a new motherboard would just be better. Sigh, it could be another new build in a year's time.

If I'd realized how long I'd have this GPU, I would have spent a bit more on a 7600GT...
June 17, 2007 7:26:11 AM

I'd just wait until end of q4, early q108... Barcelona might have been released, new Penryn's should have shown up, nex rev Nvidia should've been released.... So q108 should be a good time to catch the after-season fire-sales on lots of new things.
June 17, 2007 7:34:04 AM

Quote:
It's all up to you on the GTX or 640 version. But overall don't expect the g80 series to perform extremely well in DX10. That's the biggest problem ATM. If you HAVE to get a new computer then the 640 version should do you fine. But I doubt you'll be able to play crysis on maxed out settings.

ATM it's a VERY bad time to buy new hardware. Especially with all these new processors and gpu's coming out in a few months. You have penryn and the x38 chipset coming out within 2-4 months depending on if intel wants to ship early...Barcelona around september (if it's still on track...kinda scary though)...And the new nvidia g90 and ATI counterpart series coming out near the end of this year. The G90 is sad to say VASTLY more powerful then the g80 series..Which makes me feel bad for the people that dished out so much money for a DX10 card that won't be able to run it fluidly...Of course there is no DX10 game really out ATM so we can't really tell how well it performs..But the first generation isn't always that great of a contender in the new Direct X formats.

the G90 and the ATI RD700 series are going to be beasts...the G92 series is said to be above 1 Teraflop which is quite impressive. But I expect the G90 to be around the same league considering the leaps in power these suckers have.

Overall the G80 and rd600 series of ati cards will be able to play crysis..But don't hold your breath for fantastic frame rates at high settings. Crysis is said to be launched near the end of this year. With the g90 series releasing around the same time. If you're building this new rig specifically for crysis I would recommend waiting...No point in buying a rig for the game when it's not out yet. Especially when they will/have release/d the g90 series around the same time which is MUCH better suited for the game...The g80 series are fantastic cards..But for DX10 I don't think they'll be such a great investment...Not a wise buy in my eyes. (although it is the top performer atm ^_^...but for me considering DX10 I'd rather wait for the G90 and RD700 series at the end of the year.)

If you want you can look into getting a p35 based chipset. That way you can upgrade to a penryn processor no problem. But IMO I'mma wait for x38 to get PCI Express 2.0 to future proof as much as possible.

I agree, don't bother.
By that time when 8800 prices finally come down, much better hardware will be out.
I'm personally waiting for the high-end g90 and the r700. That card should be beefy enough to last me a few years. I'm not so worried about PCIe 2.0 (yet) I think the PCIe 16x has enough bandwidth for at least 1-2 more generations. How long can my X1950XT last?
I'll also upgrade to Yorkfield about the same time.
June 17, 2007 8:16:49 AM

Yipsl: Yea...It's a bummer..I've been using this rig for ages...I'm also planning to play "Aion"...A new MMORPG coming around the corner that runs on the Cry engine..So I definitely need something better then my x700 pro and 3.2 prescott...lol.. Overall I think waiting till late 2007/early Q1 2008 would be the best choice...Great deals thanks to christmas time as well the fact you'd be building a rig that will last much longer then the current hardware on the market.

enewmen: PCIe 2.0 is still PCIE 16X...It just upgrades the bandwidth. PCIe 1.1 offers around 250mb/s a sec on the transfer rate of 4 GB's for a PCIe 16x slot....PCIe 2.0 doubles the transfer to 500MB/s...So a PCIe 2.0 16x Slot has a transfer bandwith of 8GB/s. Overall I think it'll just pave the way for a longer rig life span for upgradeability. I can't wait for the x38 series. The difference in performance from a pentium 4 540 to a near top of the model penryn is going to be quite a glee fest ^_^.

Croc: I agree...I'm still hoping Barcelona will launch before 2008 but there is a chance it'll get pushed back into early Q1...But whichever company has the better performer will end up acquiring my money. I just hope that Barcelona will have similar features motherboard wise..Cause if not I might just end up going Penryn even if barcelona is a tad bit faster.
June 17, 2007 1:58:24 PM

Funny thing... I was initially going to wait til the end of the year to upgrade just to see if g80 prices were going to drop and I'm glad ya'll mentioned the g90, x38 and penryn. I got get up on my tech news! lol

So wait it is. 6 months will be here before I know it and no point in rushing to create a gaming rig to play games that aren't even out yet only to most likely have to upgrade at that time.

Thanks for the input!
June 17, 2007 2:41:54 PM

I for myself, do not see a reason for a GTX price drop
June 17, 2007 3:23:15 PM

The only way nVidia will drop the price of the 8800 GTX is if the 2900XT 1GB GDDR4 version works out. Anyone smart will just be able to tell that its an overclocked 2900XT with more RAM (higher clock doesnt help a 512-bit bus), but the "give me stock, i cant overclock" crowed may like it.

This is because the 2900XT will be priced at ~600$, so there is a chance that nVidia will drop the price.

Unfourtunetely, nVidia doesnt have enough competition to have to bring out a successor to the 8800 series, unless of course ATI pulls the last card out of their hat and give us the 2950 XT2 (which is the only thing they can do, and the only thing they can call it).
June 17, 2007 3:29:19 PM

Quote:

I agree, don't bother.
By that time when 8800 prices finally come down, much better hardware will be out.

What do u base that on?
The fact that nVidia has no reason to bring out a successor to the 8800 series..
Or the fact that ATI cant?

As much as I'd love to see an 8900 GTX (and as much as I'd pay for it if it were out in a month), I dont think we will be seeing a new GPU product from either of the companies for a long time to come. This generation isnt like the last.
June 17, 2007 3:48:57 PM

I do not understand your logic here,

If the new R600 is priced higher than the GTX, the Nvidia would not lower their price to compete with it.

Another point to address is performance. If the 1GB DDR3 2900 performs better than the 8800GTX, but is more expensive, there is no reason to drop the price.

Nividia will drop the price IF

the 1GB HD2900XT is priced similarly or lower than the 8800GTX, AND it performs better than the 8800GTX.

Right now that remains to be seen as their are no benchmarks to show dominance, nor is there a price list.
June 17, 2007 3:50:53 PM

when is the 2950 xt2 coming out? before october?
June 17, 2007 4:01:37 PM

Your logic is right. I share it.

The 2900XT 1GB will be prices alongside the 8800 GTX.
Thus nVidia will lower the price to compete, IF the 2900XT 1GB is more powerful.

The 2900XT 1GB is, of course, the equivilant of the 7800 GTX 512 - slightly higher clocks and more RAM.
June 17, 2007 4:02:30 PM

Quote:

Sure, why not?
June 17, 2007 4:23:19 PM

Quote:

I agree, don't bother.

What do u base that on?
The fact that nVidia has no reason to bring out a successor to the 8800 series...
Or the fact that ATI cant? ...

Both
The price didn't come down even after th lunch of the 2900XT.
After the r700 comes out,. then the 8800 GTX will finally be outgunned and nVidia will be forced to bring out the g90 and lower the 8800 GTX price.
No proof, no benchmarks. But I don't expect anyone will disagree.
June 17, 2007 4:29:25 PM

I'm sorry to have to break this to you, but there is not going to be an R700.

AMD is dying (because of ATI) and taking ATI with it. The 2900XT is the last card they will ever make.

R.I.P DAAMIT.
June 17, 2007 9:41:10 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry to have to break this to you, but there is not going to be an R700.

AMD is dying (because of ATI) and taking ATI with it. The 2900XT is the last card they will ever make.

R.I.P DAAMIT.

Lets hope you're wrong.
Intel will be making descrete cards about that time also. This may help things. (If Intel doesn't sqash Nvidia like a grape)
June 19, 2007 6:55:29 PM

Quote:
Yipsl: Yea...It's a bummer..I've been using this rig for ages...I'm also planning to play "Aion"...A new MMORPG coming around the corner that runs on the Cry engine..So I definitely need something better then my x700 pro and 3.2 prescott...lol.. Overall I think waiting till late 2007/early Q1 2008 would be the best choice...Great deals thanks to christmas time as well the fact you'd be building a rig that will last much longer then the current hardware on the market.

enewmen: PCIe 2.0 is still PCIE 16X...It just upgrades the bandwidth. PCIe 1.1 offers around 250mb/s a sec on the transfer rate of 4 GB's for a PCIe 16x slot....PCIe 2.0 doubles the transfer to 500MB/s...So a PCIe 2.0 16x Slot has a transfer bandwith of 8GB/s. Overall I think it'll just pave the way for a longer rig life span for upgradeability. I can't wait for the x38 series. The difference in performance from a pentium 4 540 to a near top of the model penryn is going to be quite a glee fest ^_^.

Croc: I agree...I'm still hoping Barcelona will launch before 2008 but there is a chance it'll get pushed back into early Q1...But whichever company has the better performer will end up acquiring my money. I just hope that Barcelona will have similar features motherboard wise..Cause if not I might just end up going Penryn even if barcelona is a tad bit faster.

Aion is going to use engine 1 and not 2 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryENGINE
June 19, 2007 7:40:20 PM

Quote:

Sure, why not?

2950s probably January...
June 19, 2007 8:44:00 PM

I know it's using the cry engine....Cry as in Far Cry...Wasn't saying crysis...lol. ^.^...Can't wait for that game...My x700 won't be able to handle it or any new games for that matter..So I need a new rig BAD!.
September 8, 2007 6:41:38 PM

Kamrooz said:

Well, I know you want what's best for that fella, but one doesn't really has to have that g92 chip to play crysis or far cry 2 on max settings even on 1680x1050. let's not forget that the developers told us that a single 7800 gtx should do the job. the question that we should be asking is if one 8800 gts or gtx can play crysis on max resolution and settings, with full AA and AF filtering enabled (well, if you ask me I think the gtx is up to this task and the gts is not).

with respect to the 1 teraflops quality, let's not forget that in the real world things are not quite as they are on the paper. lets not forget that x2900xt has 460 teraflops (something like that) and the 8800 gtx has something like 360 teraflops and you can't really compare those cards, the gtx is a beast.

anyway, I'm not saying that the g92 wouldn't be much better than this generation (it would be funny not to be) but I'm pretty sure that the price difference between those two generations will be something for many gamers. personally, I would wait for the g92 release only to get a cheaper 8800 gtx but I don't think I will do that so I think I will chose a 8800gts 640mb. and with that core2duo e6850 baby working at 3ghz, with 2gbram, I'm pretty confident I will run crysis on max settings, without AA and AF (if not, well, it will suck).
September 8, 2007 7:55:27 PM

the developers said that even a single "8800" (didn't state gtx/gts) would run the game on high graphics, but not maximum
!