SketchUP + AMD 6950

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I'm on the verge of buying a 6950 but I do a lot of modeling in sketchup and know that in the past it has had problems with ATI cards. Does anyone know if newer ATI/AMD cards (specifically the 6950 would be great) work with SketchUP?

I've been using an older ATI mobility card for years and have never had any problems. I assume the problem has been fixed but I'd rather find out now than after buying a $300 card.

Thanks.

Solution
If you are going to be gaming with the card as well it is a good purchase and the 2GB memory installed on the card will certainly help with the modeling.

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Because the benefits (visual accuracy that doesn't matter to me for what I'd use it for, optimized performance for programs like 3d max that I don't use, and longevity that, by the time the gaming card dies I could more cheaply replace it with a newer, better card) can't compare with a price that is 4 or 5 times that of the gaming card.
Add to that that this is for me personal computer at home so I don't have money to throw away like a company might.

I'm pretty sure that any problems these cards have had are a thing of the past, I was just hoping someone could verify that for me before I make the purchase.

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I've purchased the card and have had the system up and running all weekend. For the record -- I haven't had a single problem with the HD6950 and Sketchup (or any other program). Performance has been amazing. To anyone looking for something similar I'd highly recommend this card.

Status
Not open for further replies.