Need advice on a new computer...

Last response: in Video Games
Share
December 23, 2004 7:37:23 AM

Hi there, I'm hoping some might be kind enough to help me out as I
know nothing about computers anymore and would rather not do 20+ hours
of research...

What I do:
Surf and play poker on-line: Not power intensive.

What I would like to do:
Play newer shoot'em up games: Very power intensive.

While I like to play games I care far more about the game play and
less about the graphics. I want to play on line against others so I
need it to be smooth but I don't care about the graphics that have to
do with ambience like reflections and how light and shadow is cast. I
would just like it to be smooth, not choppy and no lagging or bogging
down.

I would like suggestions for components that will work well together.
I definitely want AMD and can't afford top of the line so would like
to have a motherboard that will likely be able to take a good upgrade
cpu in 9-12 months.

Motherboard?
CPU?
RAM?
HD?
Video Card?

I can put it together myself and can overclock and do minor things
like that.

any other thoughts or suggestions?

thank you very much
Eric

More about : advice computer

Anonymous
December 23, 2004 12:36:54 PM

"Eric" <1@1.com> wrote in message
> Hi there, I'm hoping some might be kind enough to help me out as I
> know nothing about computers anymore and would rather not do 20+ hours
> of research...
>
> What I do:
> Surf and play poker on-line: Not power intensive.
>
> What I would like to do:
> Play newer shoot'em up games: Very power intensive.
>
> While I like to play games I care far more about the game play and
> less about the graphics. I want to play on line against others so I
> need it to be smooth but I don't care about the graphics that have to
> do with ambience like reflections and how light and shadow is cast. I
> would just like it to be smooth, not choppy and no lagging or bogging
> down.
>
> I would like suggestions for components that will work well together.
> I definitely want AMD and can't afford top of the line so would like
> to have a motherboard that will likely be able to take a good upgrade
> cpu in 9-12 months.
>
> Motherboard?
> CPU?
> RAM?
> HD?
> Video Card?
>
> I can put it together myself and can overclock and do minor things
> like that.
>
> any other thoughts or suggestions?
>
> thank you very much
> Eric

Just hang in there and wait for someone else to answer, ok? What I can
tell you, is that the AMD64 and nVidia 6800GT or Radeon X800 Pro would
be the way to go for games. And a gig of PC3200+ or more. I'm
currently not in the AMD camp, using a P4-2.66 but have a new
P4-3.0E/1meg/800 ready to drop in, have a gig of PC3200 running dual
channel. Have an eVGA 6800-128 (12x1pp,5v). This is a good box, but
your AMD 64 chip and mobo would cost a little less or equal to mine and
you'll get more performance from the '64 with ondie memory manager.
Specifics? Don't know them, would have to research it like you :)  But
I think you're going the right way for a GOOD gamebox.
Merry Christmas!
McG.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 8:28:26 PM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:37:23 GMT, Eric wrote:
> Hi there, I'm hoping some might be kind enough to help me out as I
> know nothing about computers anymore and would rather not do 20+ hours
> of research...
>
> What I do:
> Surf and play poker on-line: Not power intensive.
>
> What I would like to do:
> Play newer shoot'em up games: Very power intensive.
>
> While I like to play games I care far more about the game play and
> less about the graphics. I want to play on line against others so I
> need it to be smooth but I don't care about the graphics that have to
> do with ambience like reflections and how light and shadow is cast. I
> would just like it to be smooth, not choppy and no lagging or bogging
> down.
>
> I would like suggestions for components that will work well together.
> I definitely want AMD and can't afford top of the line so would like
> to have a motherboard that will likely be able to take a good upgrade
> cpu in 9-12 months.

Unfortunately, we seem to be in "upgrade limbo" right now... PCI Express
is *just* coming out for the AMD platform, and needs time to become
widely available and get the bugs out.

I need to upgrade, too, but think I'll wait a little. I'll go for a
Socket 939 AMD board for the forward-compatibility. Someone mentioned
the 6800GT and X800 cards, but those are still like $400+ each. The
6600GTs and X700s are around $200, but mainly for PCI-E... AGP can be a
little tough to find. To keep your forward compatibility, you want
PCI-E.

* California gun owners - protect your rights and join the CRPA today! *
* http://www.crpa.org/ Free 3 month trial membership available *
December 24, 2004 3:06:25 AM

John Oliver wrote:

> The
> 6600GTs and X700s are around $200, but mainly for PCI-E... AGP can be a
> little tough to find. To keep your forward compatibility, you want
> PCI-E.

I never really look to upgrade. By the time you are ready to, there will be a
much better motherboard, or something else will change, (fsb speeds, ram
speeds) making you want the newer better stuff all around.
So I stay about a year behind the newest stuff, and buy mostly complete
systems. The only thing I've ever really "upgraded" is RAM and GFX cards.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 1:38:48 PM

"Eric" <1@1.com> wrote in message
> Hi there, I'm hoping some might be kind enough to help me out as I
> know nothing about computers anymore and would rather not do 20+ hours
> of research...
>
> What I do:
> Surf and play poker on-line: Not power intensive.
>
> What I would like to do:
> Play newer shoot'em up games: Very power intensive.
>
> While I like to play games I care far more about the game play and
> less about the graphics. I want to play on line against others so I
> need it to be smooth but I don't care about the graphics that have to
> do with ambience like reflections and how light and shadow is cast. I
> would just like it to be smooth, not choppy and no lagging or bogging
> down.
>
> I would like suggestions for components that will work well together.
> I definitely want AMD and can't afford top of the line so would like
> to have a motherboard that will likely be able to take a good upgrade
> cpu in 9-12 months.
>
> Motherboard?
> CPU?
> RAM?
> HD?
> Video Card?
>
> I can put it together myself and can overclock and do minor things
> like that.
>
> any other thoughts or suggestions?
>
> thank you very much
> Eric

In addition to CPU upgradability, you'll probably want the same for video as
well since we are on the virge of a major slot change from AGP to PCI
Express.

Here's my suggestion:

MB: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
This will allow upgradeability to Athlon 64 3800+, FX 53, and FX 55 CPUs
And Video is PCI Express with SLI capability.

(PCI Express is very new and there should be more choices in MBs in the
next few months. Look around for other similar SLI MBs as there may be
better deals or more features available as more hit the market. The MB is
where you really *should* do some research to guarantee longevity and
upgradability, but you definitely want PCI Express w/ SLI. The other
components are easier choices.)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
RAM: 1 gig PC3200
HD: Maxtor Serial ATA 120 gig
Video: Geforce 6600GT PCI 128 or 256 meg

Cost should be between $800.00 and $1000.00.

Bob
December 24, 2004 2:58:39 PM

StANTo wrote:

> Note, though, that it runs memory in single channel only. However, it
> supposedly out performs boards than run in dual channel (I hear AMD64
> motherboards benefit from the latter more so). There're many modified
> bios's available, the support for it is nicely ongoing and it has good
> overclocking potential for lower rate CPU/RAM at least.

My a7n8x-x board came stock with dual-channel capability.

I think you are right about the amd64 dual channel, I set one up for a buddy,
and it is VERY fast, it beats my machine and he is at slightly lower
processor speeds.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 12:42:00 AM

"sittingduck" <spam.to.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> StANTo wrote:
>
>> Note, though, that it runs memory in single channel only. However, it
>> supposedly out performs boards than run in dual channel (I hear AMD64
>> motherboards benefit from the latter more so). There're many modified
>> bios's available, the support for it is nicely ongoing and it has good
>> overclocking potential for lower rate CPU/RAM at least.
>
> My a7n8x-x board came stock with dual-channel capability.

There is no dual channel on the A7N8X-X. It has the nForce2 400 chipet, not
the Ultra 400 chipset. The only difference is the 400 chipset doesn't have
dual channel. That is why it is cheaper in the first place.
December 25, 2004 12:42:01 AM

StANTo wrote:

> There is no dual channel on the A7N8X-X. It has the nForce2 400 chipet,
> not
> the Ultra 400 chipset. The only difference is the 400 chipset doesn't
> have dual channel. That is why it is cheaper in the first place.

hmmm... I guess I could be wrong, but when I put a second stick in my machine
it no longer said memory running in single channel mode when it boots up.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 6:36:52 AM

On 12/24/2004 1:42 PM StANTo brightened our day with:

>"sittingduck" <spam.to.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
>

>>StANTo wrote:
>>

>>>Note, though, that it runs memory in single channel only. However, it
>>>supposedly out performs boards than run in dual channel (I hear AMD64
>>>motherboards benefit from the latter more so). There're many modified
>>>bios's available, the support for it is nicely ongoing and it has good
>>>overclocking potential for lower rate CPU/RAM at least.
>>>

>>My a7n8x-x board came stock with dual-channel capability.
>>

> There is no dual channel on the A7N8X-X. It has the nForce2 400 chipet, not
>the Ultra 400 chipset. The only difference is the 400 chipset doesn't have
>dual channel. That is why it is cheaper in the first place.

I have an nForce2, not even a 400, and it supports dual channel.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

> There is no dual channel on the A7N8X-X. It has the nForce2 400 chipet,
not
>the Ultra 400 chipset. The only difference is the 400 chipset doesn't have
>dual channel. That is why it is cheaper in the first place.
>

>>I have an nForce2, not even a 400, and it supports dual channel.<<

Dual channel or not, it doesn't fit what the OP asked for. It's a great
setup ( as I have it myself), but once you get to the 3200+ CPU it's a dead
end for upgrading without a new MB.

Bob

"1Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 12/24/2004 1:42 PM StANTo brightened our day with:
>
> >"sittingduck" <spam.to.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message

> >>My a7n8x-x board came stock with dual-channel capability.
> >>

> > There is no dual channel on the A7N8X-X. It has the nForce2 400 chipet,
not
> >the Ultra 400 chipset. The only difference is the 400 chipset doesn't
have
> >dual channel. That is why it is cheaper in the first place.
> >

> I have an nForce2, not even a 400, and it supports dual channel.
>
> --
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com
December 25, 2004 2:12:28 PM

rjdriver wrote:

> Dual channel or not, it doesn't fit what the OP asked for. It's a great
> setup ( as I have it myself), but once you get to the 3200+ CPU it's a dead
> end for upgrading without a new MB.

Well, nothing really fits what the OP asked for. To get a board that will be
upgradable in another year, you will have to go "top of the line" to do it
any justice.
!