XBOX 360 won't connect to internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolcolin09

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Hey everyone, I'm bewildered. Just last weekend before New Year's my friend came from out of town right after I got my new XBOX 360. We connected the XBOX 360 to my router via ethernet cable and everything went fine. However, just a couple days ago when I tried to get on Live, it just wouldn't connect. For some reason it couldn't detect the ethernet cable or something, because the light for that port in the router was also not on.

Here's my setup so you can see what I'm working with. I have a modem in the office, right on top of my parent's computer. The modem (Motorola SBV 5220 Surfboard cable modem) has an ethernet cable running right outside into my living room where my router (D-Link DI-624 AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless Router) is sitting on the entertainment center. Then there is an ethernet cable running from the same router and into the ethernet port in the back of my parent's computer. Pretty simple set up - hopefully I explained it clearly.

Anyways, with all that in mind, could anyone give me any suggestions on what I need to do to get my XBOX 360 to connect to the internet, because eventually I'm going to get it worked on because it almost seems as if the ethernet port is not working on the XBOX. It also fails the IP test, so there's something that definitely need to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Shooter7

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Not really familiar with the XBox configuration, but there are a couple basic networking things you could try.

-If it's failing the IP test, that would imply that it can't talk to your router, not the internet, since that's where it gets it's IP address from. (Although XBox may do this with an internet check) So:
-First, have you tried a different ethernet cable to the XBox; one that you know is good?
-Secondly, ports on the switch can go bad without the whole switch failing. Have you tried plugging it in to a different one in the router?
-Assuming you have a dynamic service such as a cable modem, have you tried plugging the XBox directly into that modem wire coming out to the router?

Be sure to power cycle the XBox on each of these checks so you remind it to go out and check for a connection.

G

ya the same thing just happend to me and i cant figure it out did u hav to send away? or did u find the solution if u could help that would b great

JackMomma

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
just had the same problem after moving my 360 from one connection to another, then back to the origional. I was messing with the cables and the xbox live connection test. it actually found its physical connection once, but the router never designated an IP, thus that is the problem. I'm working on power cycling and re-connecting a few more times to see what i can do from here, router settings werent really helpful, as they are basically default. I'm using a 2-wire router with at&t DSL

JackMomma

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
you know, i just remembered... when i had my 360 hooked up at home i used a rather long ethernet cord to hook up to the router across a basement with shaggy carpet, and static electricity was terrible... when i wound up the cord to pack it up i disconnected from the router and went towards the 360 while it was still connected to the console, most likely frying my ethernet port. you guys might have the same issue, im gonna probably have to resort to getting a wireless adapter for it to connect from now on. ill troubleshoot by trying to connect to ethernet elsewhere, but im betting thats it for me... dang

mcurtis

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
my xbox 360 has had problems connection to the internet and ive switched between hard-wiring it and using a wireless adapter, and it wouldnt even recognize either and the wireless adapter had the red light ring around it and not the green. then we tried another xbox360 and it worked using the same cable and same port and the same wireless adapter. so i have no idea what could be up with my xbox?

harpoon70

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Hey Guy, unfortunately I am in the same boat, and the worst part is this thing decided to break just at the start of my kids christmas break.
I have done all of the troublshooting mentioned above. The static comment mentioned by Jackmomma had got me worried since I do move this Xbox between two rooms and it could have zapped it. BUT, I do get a link light on the router when I connect it and it does pull an IP address but just not the correct one from my router. It will always pull the adress 169.254.219.124 which is not a real address for public use. I have confirmed that my router is working fine with all the other computers plugged into it.
So my question is if it got zapped would it even perform as metioned above?

I have another question, it has a USB port on the back. Am i able to use a USB to Ethernet adapter on this?

Thanks alot guys

Harpoon

G

I have the same problem as you Harpoon70 But i am not sure whats up. Don't Comment back i am not a subscriber but Everyone On this forum Should go to either XBOX.com/support or make a phone call to 1-800-4my-xbox(1-800-469-9269)

minime 666

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I am trying to connect my xbox to xboxlive when i run the test it says it picked up my internet but not xboxlive I have called and done everything i can think of does anyone have any suggestions. when i click on more info. it says my mtu settings are not high enough but i am set at 3000 mtu.

G

Im so high and pissed cuz i just wasted my time goin through your comments and didnt find a solution to the same problems that we all have.....
:eek:

G

Hi, Just Want to tell you that my xbox 360 is not conect to the xbox live and i try take plug off and on still does work it did yestaday when my dad fix it it does that every once a week :fou:

facelious

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Hi my name is Steve, I am having somewhat of the same issue. I have been connecting my xbox 360 to my router via ethernet cable to my router and it has usually always worked for me in the past. But I have moved recently and I am now running my ethernet cable outside to the second story of my house where it connects to my xbox, which my router is on the first story. My xbox live worked perfectly for about a month then I couldn't connect anymore. I switched the cable and it resolved the issue, but then after another month it had the same problem. I am not sure what the problem is. My router indicates that I have a connection to the xbox because the router port light is flashing, but I still cannot connect to xbox live. In the past the light wouldn't flash when I was playing on xbox live. I run the 'Test Connection' option on my xbox and it says that I am having a connection problem. I think I am just having some sort of interference that is corrupting my ethernet cables, but I don't know if that is the case. I was told to try a wireless adapter, but I want to try this as a last resort. I have reset my router and this does not resolve the issue. I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me? Please reply or email me at face2421@yahoo.com

G

I'm having the same issue with my wireless adapter that I paid $100 for!!

G

I'm having the same issue with my wireless adapter that I paid $100 for!!

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
I had the same problem, my internet was working fine on XBL, until one night, it wouldn't connect. So, I looked up my router on the internet so I could see its IP address, and the address changed! i manually put in the IP address into the network configuration settings, and BINGO, works like a charm.

Hopefully this helps!!!

Kawamoto

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

I just got a new wireless router and the internet connection is great. I have a problem though with connecting with xbox live. I use my laptop as an adapter with a Ethernet cable plugged into my Xbox. The connection doesn't go threw and I get a message saying saying that there is no connectivity among my laptop or my Xbox. I have tried to share and ridge the connections but i get error messages and my internet connection fails. Another note that might help is that the router is a Cisco Valet; if anyone can help solve my problem I would be deeply grateful.

-Thank You

Brianor

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Hi Guys,

There is a really good chance that you are getting interference from other wireless devices in your home, e.g Dect phones, digisenders etc. That will definitely cause your connection to fail.

Unplug all of these and configure your xbox to detect ip and DNS automatically. Restart the xbox live detection. If you get a connection, power up each wireless device individually and restart xbox detection after each device is switched on.

You will find that it will fail to detect when the interfering device is switched on.

Most wireless devices alow you to change channels (thus frequency). Set your interfering device to a different channel until you find one that will allow xbox live to connect fairly quickly (within 15 seconds or so).

If this doesnt work, change the channel on your router and restart.

Good luck. Pretty sure it will work

grifstudio

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
GEAR
Xbox Live
Cox Cable
Netgear Wireless Router

ISSUE
Xbox wireless would recognize the network but would not connect to XBOX live or Netflix.

SOLUTION
Updated Firmware on Netgear router.
Xbox did not like WPA security only.
The firmware gave me WPA2 availability.
Set up network wireless with WPA2 and everything worked.

G

--------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR WIRED CONNECTIONS...

Go Start, run, type "cmd" enter.

type "ipconfig /all"

go down till you see "DNS Servers"

First one is your primary, next is secondary.

Go to your xbox network setting, wired setting, DNS, and enter those numbers, primary first and secondary second...

should work, if not check DMZ settings on router, or Port Forwarding.

zygote

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I have been trying to figure this problem out for about 3 to 4 hours, Trying different configurations, wired vs. wireless. I look on the internet and still nothing.

The SOLUTION that I found was very simple.

go into your xbox 360 internet configuration and go to advanced settings and hit the restore to Factory Default setting.

Once I did that it start working again.

Hope this helps any one else who comes across this problem.

Derizia

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Xbox 360s have a bit of a problem with MAC addresses as well. Sometimes it's necessary to put in an alternative one. Connect to your router through a wired or wireless connection, go into details, and check the MAC Address of your connection. Then go to your Xbox and go to configure, and put in the Alternate MAC Address (should be in the last set of settings on the 2nd page), only without the dashes ( - ).

This may solve your problem if none of the other solutions worked.

Computerwizard34

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011

GO to system Settings then go to the network settings if you are wired to the router click wired network if not click wireless network. then click restore factory defaults on the network settings and then you should be connected!!

Hope this Works

danplennon

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I have had the same problem just wouldnt connect checked everything recommended over the past 20 minutes and I discovered that the firewall settings had been changed since I last checked my PC. Firewall is now off and problem is solved. Time for some black ops!!

Skomy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

Well I think people here have 2 issues - before harpoon and after.
Mist of the solutions mentioned below are to do with me being able to access the network menu on my xbox. My problem (and many other people here) is that we cannot access network menu. Xbox gives message that we are not connected to Internet. Can sineone help us with this????

wwiifreak11

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
plz help me! ive had my xboxlive for like 2 months then when i bought black ops (early march) 1 wk later my xbox live didnt work!!!!! i tested it with two different ethernet cords but nuttin! i also tested connection but it didnt go past network... i use a wired network through my laptop and it worked fine. it says it cant recognize my IP address. but when i look it says 169.254.165.236 also my laptop wouldnt let me go to xbox.com for help so i went to the website on a different laptop. when i followed the directions i saw the RED RING OF DEATH!!!!!!! srry for this being so long but i really need help,

anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.