Help refine a 2k system build

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
ok well im looking to make a 'gaming' rig, or as best i can get for 2000 canadian... i really cant go much past it, taxes not included..

so here is what im looking at right now, but as you can see i dont have a case picked out, but i was thinking a thermaltake kandalf or armor..

as for the graphics card, i picked out the 2900xt, though i wont be playing fps games.. i may pick up crysis though that.. probably though i will stick to rts games.. so i was thinking this may be overkill, and since i need to save money perhaps i should get a lower end card, but i was really looking forward to dx10 cards.. shader model 4.. etc

as for the Q6600 im quite adament about getting a quad core, but i need some cooling solutions for it.. i was thinking possible a sythe ninja, or something. (suggestions are welcome)

*edit(i also need a different motherboard... what stuck out in my mind was the intel 975x or the asus 680i)

(right now the cost stands at $2,406.85 so i need to cut like $600 somehow, or so because i need i case and possibly a better monitor)
***(i switched the psu to the following model but am too lazy to switch image... OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black )
computerbuild1xy8.png

86rev

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
if you're planning to play crysis than i would suggest you wait or buy a decent card now and upgrade later. also keep in mind that the q6600s going to drop in price by half in about a month.
and if you can, choose somewhere else to buy your parts. 300$ for 2 gigs of ram!?! you can also get a 22" ws from benq/acer for less than that sammy.

check out www.pricecanada.com and see if you can get a better price on those parts.