Which speakers should i buy?

JiggaJigga

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Hey guys,

Im planning on buying speakers but i don't know what i should get. My sound card is the Realtek AC97 Audio WDM 5.1 sound card.

Here is what my standards are for Speakers:

Brand Name: Altec or Logitech

Price range: 70-150$

It needs to come with a woofer

And that's it. If you could give me a list of the best one's in that price range with those brand names i would be very thankful. I live in Canada so any Canadian sites that you get your prices from would be great. Just add ".ca" instead of ".com" for a Canadian site.

Thanks you.

drew455

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
The best way to pick a sound system is to audition them in person, but if you cant or dont want to then i'd say read reviews to see what other ppl have to say. personally i'd go with the company logitech and if you go to the egg you can find a decent 5.1 system for under 150$.

(and make sure it'll be compatible with the ports on your sound card)

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I've had good overall quality from my Logitech X-530's. Bought them about a year and a half ago and they were definitely worth every penny. Course, I paid about 89.99 USD for them, but they have to be cheaper now.

Second that, I was strolling through Frys and heard a set of speakers really cranking out some great sound. Went to check it out and several people were standing around listening to a set of 530's, which happened to be on sale that day for $59. I grabbed a set immediately as they were flying off the shelf left and right. Though definetly not top of the line speakers they are pretty amazing for the price, actually sound much better than most costing 2-3 times more.

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I own a Logitech Z5400 set and those speakers offer high quality sound (and an amazing woofer). You might find them for around 150$ nowadays.
PS: you might want to upgrade your sound card for these speakers.

dipz

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I highly recommend Z-series Logitech speakers. Right now I have a Z-680 and it really rocks. It's a 5.1 system, but I think it's no longer in production. The Z5500's are the same thing basically with a 10" sub (they'll rock, trust me, but they also sound good at the same time). I also recommend Z-2300's. They have good ratings on Newegg, and I don't have a set yet, but I plan to very soon. They are 2.1 though, so decide whether you need 5.1 or 2.1 (I know the Z5500s are out of your price range, but speakers will be a long term investment, so I dunno if you want to save some more and then buy later on). Also note that I have owned an Altec 641 in the past. Altec's are great too, but be sure to check out the Z Logitechs.
Good luck.