Sign in with
Your question

Hey I need your opinion guys

Tags:
Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
July 26, 2012 10:54:31 AM

So I am getting a custom built desktop pc, I am fairly knowledgeable about them but I need some opinions and input about the one I have in mind.

These are the specs:

AMD Bulldozer 8 core fx-8150 3.60ghz 8mb cache
Asus M5A99X EVO:USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s Quad Crossfire SLI
16gb Kingston Hyper Genesis-X DUAL DDR3 1600HMz
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 690 DUAL GPU-3 x DVI-l 1x mDP
1TB 3.5 SATA-lll 6GB/s HDD 7200 RPM 32 MB CACHE
600W Quiet 80 Plus quad rail PSU + 120mm case fan
COOLIT ECO ll A.L.C ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
AOC 21.5 Widescreen LED TFT 1920x1080

Headset, Operating system, Anti Virus, keyboard and mouse and warranty all uncluded
and it cost £1,961/ $3036 for it all and I want to know if there is anything you would do differently? Will it be able to play games maxed out or not? Will the pc be a good quick pc? or just your general opinion

PLEASEEEEEEEE ANSWERRRRRR :bounce: 

More about : hey opinion guys

July 26, 2012 12:15:13 PM

---- not sure many programs can take advantage of four cores, let alone 8 cores. i'm not much of an amd fan anymore since intel seems to have the upperhand nowdays. your choice though.
---- i'm happy with my asus board. i am not familiar with this model though. see comment under gpu.
---- a little bit excesive isnt it? my system has never used past 3.5gb under load and i have 6gb. honestly 8 should be all you need unless you do video editing, 3d modeling or use other demanding applications.
----if you are only going to be using this one card, why do you need a quad sli motherboard? unless you are made of money the most you will probably need is the ability to dual sli. your choice though.
---- spinpoint F3 or caviar black recommended. these drives cannot max out sata II so sata III doesnt really do anything more than raise the price a few dollars.
---- honestly i would recommend 650-700w for future expansion. i would also be wary of brand as cheap brands often fail more often then respected ones. 4 rails is more of a marketing gimmick as a quality psu doesnt need all of this. pcp&c and asus make some great psus. you might also want to consider modular.
---- unless you want to overclock which really is not required you dont need this. in any case a good air cooler is a quarter of the price and will give similar numbers. all this does is look pretty and raise your total bill.
---- honestly the sound quality on the small integrated board on my asus rampage III was rather good. depending on what you intend to hook up to this pc should influence what equipment you use. if you want to use your home theater system you dont need a sound card. if you want to use studio headphones you might want the xonar with an amped headphone jack. or if you want to connect normal pc speakers you can get away with an integrated option or spend a little cash for a dedicated soundcard. your choice.
AOC 21.5 Widescreen LED TFT 1920x1080
---- not familiar with this brand. you might want to look at the recommendations in our perepherals section.
Headset, Operating system, Anti Virus, keyboard and mouse and warranty all uncluded
---- you mean included? i'd be wary of the headset as it might be junk or not to your liking. windows 7 home or professional would be recommended. i'd be wary of the antivirus also as i'm not sure what they want to include. i use nothing but top rated software. the keyboard and mouse are your primary input devices. you really should hand pick these and not leave it up to a 3rd party.
...and it cost £1,961/ $3036
----you can most likely lower this to $2200-2300 for the tower only and pick out better perepherals yourself.

in general my opinion? when you buy without knowing exactly what you are getting you are taking a chance. hand picking parts is the best way to go about it. also the extras they throw in or options they give exist to give them more revenue due to the markup. also since they do not list brand names this leaves them the option to use substandard parts and pass them off to the customer.

the only thing you gain from building a pc from a list on their site is that you dont have to check compatabilities, they do.

honestly i would say consult our posters in the hardware/system/ subsection and get input on hardware and compatabilities and then build the system yourself. you gain some experience and save money as well as picking out parts which fit you and not the builders pocketbook. since you said you are fairly knowledgeable you shouldnt need any "tech support" or "preinstallation of windows" and if you buy everything yourself you will get all of the disks and manuals and dont have to worry about getting a copy of the windows disk later on if you need it. also you dont have to worry about bloatware which commonly gets installed in prebuilt machines.

--

just some advice do what you wish with it. its your money after all.
July 26, 2012 1:09:53 PM

491287,2,431999 said:
---- not sure many programs can take advantage of four cores, let alone 8 cores. i'm not much of an amd fan anymore since intel seems to have the upperhand nowdays. your choice though.
---- i'm happy with my asus board. i am not familiar with this model though. see comment under gpu.
---- a little bit excesive isnt it? my system has never used past 3.5gb under load and i have 6gb. honestly 8 should be all you need unless you do video editing, 3d modeling or use other demanding applications.
----if you are only going to be using this one card, why do you need a quad sli motherboard? unless you are made of money the most you will probably need is the ability to dual sli. your choice though.
---- spinpoint F3 or caviar black recommended. these drives cannot max out sata II so sata III doesnt really do anything more than raise the price a few dollars.
---- honestly i would recommend 650-700w for future expansion. i would also be wary of brand as cheap brands often fail more often then respected ones. 4 rails is more of a marketing gimmick as a quality psu doesnt need all of this. pcp&c and asus make some great psus. you might also want to consider modular.
---- unless you want to overclock which really is not required you dont need this. in any case a good air cooler is a quarter of the price and will give similar numbers. all this does is look pretty and raise your total bill.
---- honestly the sound quality on the small integrated board on my asus rampage III was rather good. depending on what you intend to hook up to this pc should influence what equipment you use. if you want to use your home theater system you dont need a sound card. if you want to use studio headphones you might want the xonar with an amped headphone jack. or if you want to connect normal pc speakers you can get away with an integrated option or spend a little cash for a dedicated soundcard. your choice.
AOC 21.5 Widescreen LED TFT 1920x1080.....

Thank you so much for messaging :bounce:  and with what you said in mind I will make changes to what I have planned because although I said im knowledgeable like I can put a pc together and do some advanced stuff i'm not all that great when it comes to the individual parts and whether it's necesarry and stuff thanks and if anyone else has any input it will be greatly appreciated :D 
Related resources
!