Norton 2002 and XP?

June 11, 2005 1:00:33 AM

I just put XP on my machine, and was wondering if Norton System Works 2002
will run on an XP machine. (I don't even remember when XP came out.). I
don't want to install if it just messes XP up and doesn't work.
Anyone know?
-Pete

More about : norton 2002

June 11, 2005 1:00:34 AM

it works.. and it will give you 1 year of updates.. I have it on mine.. and
it works just fine.. Rainy
"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I just put XP on my machine, and was wondering if Norton System Works 2002
> will run on an XP machine. (I don't even remember when XP came out.). I
> don't want to install if it just messes XP up and doesn't work.
> Anyone know?
> -Pete

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:00:34 AM

Pete

A newer version would not go amiss..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I just put XP on my machine, and was wondering if Norton System Works 2002
> will run on an XP machine. (I don't even remember when XP came out.). I
> don't want to install if it just messes XP up and doesn't work.
> Anyone know?
> -Pete

June 11, 2005 3:37:00 AM

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Pete
>
> A newer version would not go amiss..

Personally, I'd give Norton a miss altogether...
June 11, 2005 3:37:01 AM

Rainy wrote:

> Would you please be specific :)  you said that some of Norton's
> utilities could be hazardous... which ones and in which way? thanks
> Rainy
>
> ps I don't use Norton's AV.. would never use it.. (My AV of choice is
> AVG), but love Windoctor.. because after using it, my computer runs
> better.. acts better than it did before I used it..

Well, I personally wouldn't use Windoctor or any of the so-called
registry cleaners. While I found Windoctor to be valuable in Win9x/ME,
my feeling about any sort of registry "fixers" in XP is that if you
don't know what you're doing, they can hose the registry and if you
*do* know what you're doing, you can do it by hand. You just don't get
the problems with the XP registry that you did in the older OS's. You
can do a Google Groups search of the windowsxp.general group if you
want to read lengthy discussions about registry cleaners; there have
been rather a lot of threads about that lately.

CleanSweep comes to mind because people get all bent out of shape about
"duplicate files" and what they really should do is just leave things
alone. And what was that really awful one again? Oh yeah, Crash Guard.
I don't know if Symantec even included Crash Guard in the 2002 program
- I know they removed it in later versions.

Basically, I don't think any utility-type programs are necessary with
XP. I know some people use Raxco's Perfect Disk to defrag, but I think
XP's own native tools are just fine. Maybe it is a case of "the
cobbler's children have no shoes", but all I ever do on my Windows
machines to keep them fit is run Spybot, Ad-aware, Disk Cleanup on some
sort of regular basis, and defrag whenever I think about it. My systems
run beautifully for years and years. Of course, I'm not loading them up
with all sorts of cr*p, either and they all are protected with av and
firewalls.

But that's just my opinion - if you are happy with what you are doing
and it works for you, that's great. But I do stand behind my answer to
the OP that System Works 2002 is not a good idea for WinXP.

Cheers,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hi Malke, I may be wrong.. but doesn't Windoctor correct missing shortcuts?
As far as I know it doesn't correct registry errors?.. I have jp power tools
for that.. I do know a little bit.. but not enough to manually fix the
registry but there have been times I have done just that after getting step
by step instructions.

The reason I am so gung ho about Windoctor is the visible difference it
makes on my computer. I do use a defragger outside of xp, simply because xp
defragger takes forever and a day! :)  So I use Diskeeper Lite.. it works
great and it's quick..I have owned a computer going on 7 years..my last
"tech built" computer was about a year ago.. and I try to learn at every
opportunity! But I have a lot to learn.. just know what works for me..
Rainy

ps. I have come to find out, people swear by Norton's or hate it...

pss... I never mess with duplicate files.. I did about 6 years ago.. and
windows 98 would not boot! :)  sometimes I learn the hard way.

news:o by2OnjbFHA.3200@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Rainy wrote:
>
>> Would you please be specific :)  you said that some of Norton's
>> utilities could be hazardous... which ones and in which way? thanks
>> Rainy
>>
>> ps I don't use Norton's AV.. would never use it.. (My AV of choice is
>> AVG), but love Windoctor.. because after using it, my computer runs
>> better.. acts better than it did before I used it..
>>
> Well, I personally wouldn't use Windoctor or any of the so-called
> registry cleaners. While I found Windoctor to be valuable in Win9x/ME,
> my feeling about any sort of registry "fixers" in XP is that if you
> don't know what you're doing, they can hose the registry and if you
> *do* know what you're doing, you can do it by hand. You just don't get
> the problems with the XP registry that you did in the older OS's. You
> can do a Google Groups search of the windowsxp.general group if you
> want to read lengthy discussions about registry cleaners; there have
> been rather a lot of threads about that lately.
>
> CleanSweep comes to mind because people get all bent out of shape about
> "duplicate files" and what they really should do is just leave things
> alone. And what was that really awful one again? Oh yeah, Crash Guard.
> I don't know if Symantec even included Crash Guard in the 2002 program
> - I know they removed it in later versions.
>
> Basically, I don't think any utility-type programs are necessary with
> XP. I know some people use Raxco's Perfect Disk to defrag, but I think
> XP's own native tools are just fine. Maybe it is a case of "the
> cobbler's children have no shoes", but all I ever do on my Windows
> machines to keep them fit is run Spybot, Ad-aware, Disk Cleanup on some
> sort of regular basis, and defrag whenever I think about it. My systems
> run beautifully for years and years. Of course, I'm not loading them up
> with all sorts of cr*p, either and they all are protected with av and
> firewalls.
>
> But that's just my opinion - if you are happy with what you are doing
> and it works for you, that's great. But I do stand behind my answer to
> the OP that System Works 2002 is not a good idea for WinXP.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 12:17:37 PM

Norton 2002 will work, BUT you need to install it fresh for XP. If it was
already installed under 98/ME, it will not work correctly under XP. Norton
loads different detailed software from the CD, depending on the operating
system on the PC at the time the software is installed. The pre-XP software
is usually not compatible with XP and vice versa. Thus, I recommned
uninstalling all Norton products and reinstalling them.

The advice to uninstall/reinstall applies to all near-system level products
by Norton, McAfee, and to all CD/VD writing software. Additionally, most
pre-XP CD/DVD witing software requires one r more patches to be XP
compatible, or a newer version is required. Finally, your pre-XP DVD player
will probably not work, and you will need to obtain one that is compatible
with XP.

Other software may or may not work under XP and/or under XP+SP2. Check the
support website for each software, if you have any problems.

Had you run the free Microsoft upgrade advisor before upgrading to XP, it
would have flagged potential software incompatibilities and offerred this
sam advice.

"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I just put XP on my machine, and was wondering if Norton System Works 2002
> will run on an XP machine. (I don't even remember when XP came out.). I
> don't want to install if it just messes XP up and doesn't work.
> Anyone know?
> -Pete

June 12, 2005 4:55:15 PM

my mistake.. it does scan the registry and offers to fix problems.. well I
learned something today... :)  I just went online to find out exactly what
windoctor does.. :)  Rainy
news:o by2OnjbFHA.3200@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Rainy wrote:
>
>> Would you please be specific :)  you said that some of Norton's
>> utilities could be hazardous... which ones and in which way? thanks
>> Rainy
>>
>> ps I don't use Norton's AV.. would never use it.. (My AV of choice is
>> AVG), but love Windoctor.. because after using it, my computer runs
>> better.. acts better than it did before I used it..
>>
> Well, I personally wouldn't use Windoctor or any of the so-called
> registry cleaners. While I found Windoctor to be valuable in Win9x/ME,
> my feeling about any sort of registry "fixers" in XP is that if you
> don't know what you're doing, they can hose the registry and if you
> *do* know what you're doing, you can do it by hand. You just don't get
> the problems with the XP registry that you did in the older OS's. You
> can do a Google Groups search of the windowsxp.general group if you
> want to read lengthy discussions about registry cleaners; there have
> been rather a lot of threads about that lately.
>
> CleanSweep comes to mind because people get all bent out of shape about
> "duplicate files" and what they really should do is just leave things
> alone. And what was that really awful one again? Oh yeah, Crash Guard.
> I don't know if Symantec even included Crash Guard in the 2002 program
> - I know they removed it in later versions.
>
> Basically, I don't think any utility-type programs are necessary with
> XP. I know some people use Raxco's Perfect Disk to defrag, but I think
> XP's own native tools are just fine. Maybe it is a case of "the
> cobbler's children have no shoes", but all I ever do on my Windows
> machines to keep them fit is run Spybot, Ad-aware, Disk Cleanup on some
> sort of regular basis, and defrag whenever I think about it. My systems
> run beautifully for years and years. Of course, I'm not loading them up
> with all sorts of cr*p, either and they all are protected with av and
> firewalls.
>
> But that's just my opinion - if you are happy with what you are doing
> and it works for you, that's great. But I do stand behind my answer to
> the OP that System Works 2002 is not a good idea for WinXP.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
June 12, 2005 5:00:20 PM

"Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
> my mistake.. it does scan the registry and offers to fix problems.. well I
> learned something today... :)  I just went online to find out exactly what
> windoctor does.. :)  Rainy
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
> news:o by2OnjbFHA.3200@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Rainy wrote:
> >
> >> Would you please be specific :)  you said that some of Norton's
> >> utilities could be hazardous... which ones and in which way? thanks
> >> Rainy
> >>
> >> ps I don't use Norton's AV.. would never use it.. (My AV of choice is
> >> AVG), but love Windoctor.. because after using it, my computer runs
> >> better.. acts better than it did before I used it..
> >>
> > Well, I personally wouldn't use Windoctor or any of the so-called
> > registry cleaners. While I found Windoctor to be valuable in Win9x/ME,
> > my feeling about any sort of registry "fixers" in XP is that if you
> > don't know what you're doing, they can hose the registry and if you
> > *do* know what you're doing, you can do it by hand. You just don't get
> > the problems with the XP registry that you did in the older OS's. You
> > can do a Google Groups search of the windowsxp.general group if you
> > want to read lengthy discussions about registry cleaners; there have
> > been rather a lot of threads about that lately.
> >
> > CleanSweep comes to mind because people get all bent out of shape about
> > "duplicate files" and what they really should do is just leave things
> > alone. And what was that really awful one again? Oh yeah, Crash Guard.
> > I don't know if Symantec even included Crash Guard in the 2002 program
> > - I know they removed it in later versions.
> >
> > Basically, I don't think any utility-type programs are necessary with
> > XP. I know some people use Raxco's Perfect Disk to defrag, but I think
> > XP's own native tools are just fine. Maybe it is a case of "the
> > cobbler's children have no shoes", but all I ever do on my Windows
> > machines to keep them fit is run Spybot, Ad-aware, Disk Cleanup on some
> > sort of regular basis, and defrag whenever I think about it. My systems
> > run beautifully for years and years. Of course, I'm not loading them up
> > with all sorts of cr*p, either and they all are protected with av and
> > firewalls.
> >
> > But that's just my opinion - if you are happy with what you are doing
> > and it works for you, that's great. But I do stand behind my answer to
> > the OP that System Works 2002 is not a good idea for WinXP.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

June 12, 2005 5:00:29 PM

49408-8634-0880-0000-0000-5346-22
"Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
> my mistake.. it does scan the registry and offers to fix problems.. well I
> learned something today... :)  I just went online to find out exactly what
> windoctor does.. :)  Rainy
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
> news:o by2OnjbFHA.3200@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Rainy wrote:
> >
> >> Would you please be specific :)  you said that some of Norton's
> >> utilities could be hazardous... which ones and in which way? thanks
> >> Rainy
> >>
> >> ps I don't use Norton's AV.. would never use it.. (My AV of choice is
> >> AVG), but love Windoctor.. because after using it, my computer runs
> >> better.. acts better than it did before I used it..
> >>
> > Well, I personally wouldn't use Windoctor or any of the so-called
> > registry cleaners. While I found Windoctor to be valuable in Win9x/ME,
> > my feeling about any sort of registry "fixers" in XP is that if you
> > don't know what you're doing, they can hose the registry and if you
> > *do* know what you're doing, you can do it by hand. You just don't get
> > the problems with the XP registry that you did in the older OS's. You
> > can do a Google Groups search of the windowsxp.general group if you
> > want to read lengthy discussions about registry cleaners; there have
> > been rather a lot of threads about that lately.
> >
> > CleanSweep comes to mind because people get all bent out of shape about
> > "duplicate files" and what they really should do is just leave things
> > alone. And what was that really awful one again? Oh yeah, Crash Guard.
> > I don't know if Symantec even included Crash Guard in the 2002 program
> > - I know they removed it in later versions.
> >
> > Basically, I don't think any utility-type programs are necessary with
> > XP. I know some people use Raxco's Perfect Disk to defrag, but I think
> > XP's own native tools are just fine. Maybe it is a case of "the
> > cobbler's children have no shoes", but all I ever do on my Windows
> > machines to keep them fit is run Spybot, Ad-aware, Disk Cleanup on some
> > sort of regular basis, and defrag whenever I think about it. My systems
> > run beautifully for years and years. Of course, I'm not loading them up
> > with all sorts of cr*p, either and they all are protected with av and
> > firewalls.
> >
> > But that's just my opinion - if you are happy with what you are doing
> > and it works for you, that's great. But I do stand behind my answer to
> > the OP that System Works 2002 is not a good idea for WinXP.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers