E6600 - seeking advice/knowledge

ZenAlien

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
So, I'll try to steer this away from being just another post looking for reassurance on C2D numbers...though that is, to an extent, part of what I'm looking for. I've read probably 20 such posts in the last couple of hours.

I built a new machine something like 3 weeks ago: E6600/P5N32-E SLI/8800GTX. I've been pretty much impressed with it's performance, especially playing Vanguard SOH, which is such a demanding beast of software. Had some fairly consistent glitches/CTDs in Vanguard, which I attributed to the terrible experience so many have had with 8800s and that game. In addition to the CTDs, there were half a dozen or so instances of the machine just shutting itself off. I suppose, in the back of my mind, I knew that wasn't a software issue, but I ignored them or at least postponed addressing them. Hey! I'm a software developer == busy.

So...forward to yesterday, when the temp question obvious in the shutdowns led me to install the PCProbeII app that came with the MB. As soon as I started it up, it was alarming on CPU temp @ 67c. I said (outloud, even), 'Bull*#$!. I don't believe that.' ...and proceeded to run the cpu arithmetic bench in Sandra. Watched in horror as the monitor read 71...79...87...91...and at that point I killed Sandra. But, the machine was still up & running. I shut it down manually & opened it up to check the seating of the stock hsf, which was hanging on by only two of its stubby little useless plastic feet.

So, I pulled it. 2 hours later & $65 poorer, I replaced it with an ASUS Silent Square over AS5. Since then, PCProbeII is reporting idle temps of ~34-39c(CPU), ~37-41c(MB), and running Vanguard maxed for 4 hours loaded it to ~48-52(CPU) and about the same for the mb. CoreTemp says it idles at ~35c & loads at about 47c. I ran Orthos for 15 min without error and pushed CoreTemp's report to 55c.

So, I have two essential inquiries I'm hoping someone can address:

1. The ~35c idle / ~55c load temps are ok, or at least not dangerous for E6600, correct? What I've read so far seems to indicate they're not outrageous.

2. I watched the CPU exceed 91c (briefly) and the machine didn't switch off. Seems to indicate that the auto shutoffs I experienced earlier were under even more brutal conditions. Is it possible that the CPU has been damaged in some way that isn't immediately apparent? My intuition says that a damaged CPU is probably a binary event: it's either burnt up or it's not...but I lack the hardware knowledge to make that assertion. If a functional but damaged CPU is possible, is there a way to detect it?

Thanks much for reading such an epic post :). I really rely on the knowledge & experience I read here & I appreciate any advice anyone's got to give. Cheers.

::zen

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Wow, hanging by 2 posts, that sucks! Well, the temps are fine, no worries there. The overheating is unlikely to have damaged anything, that's what thermal shut-offs are for. I have to wonder at the accuracy of the program you are using. The auto shut-off should be no higher than 85, it shouldn't hit 91. The program might be showing temps higher than they really are. I can't seem to find an accurate program to monitor the temps of my C2D either.

If you want to see if anything was broken, download Orthos and let it run overnight on stress CPU/RAM settings. 8+ hrs Orthos stable is rock solid.