Partitioning problem

nzl51

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
ok so this morning i restart my computer, it boots like normal. i had installed an alarm clock program, 2 days ago, and it was all working fine.

then i notice that my startup programs are having trouble finding the files they are pointed to in My Documents. And the page filewas out of space.

Now when i reinstalled windows i figured i would move my docs to a different partition just so i would keep it all safe if i had an OS problem. and give myself a separate page file.

So i go to check my documents, but the partition isnt being recognised properly and tells me that the it needs to be formatted. Same with the page file one.

I run up easeus partition master to see whats going on. Low and behold the WHOLE hard disk is being shown as unallocated space, where there should be 3 partitions. OS, Docs and page file

So my OS is running even tho there are no partitions for it to run off. Explorer can explore the OS partition and not the docs one.

I then used Active Partition Recovery to see what was there and it found them, but i couldnt seem to write them backto the disk so windows could see them.

I then booted a live ubuntu and have managed to recover my documents at least. Now it could see the partitions.

I dont want to be reinstalling windows as its a relatively fresh install but at the moment the one partition i can see is small and not have a mydocs folder is playing mary hell with it. And i cant use partition master to put the partitions back as it cant even see that there is anything there and would corrupt the lot.

Im out of ideas

Can anyone tell me what might have caused this.and if i have an other options?

Thanks

Jonmor68

Distinguished
It looks as if your alarm program could be a trojan horse and has crippled your system, can you use your burner program to backup your documents, because I think you will need to reformat and reinstall Windows.

nzl51

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
its possible, the program was called citrus alarmclock and seemed pretty legit, (i had used a previous version in the past) they even charge for this one.
i have reinstalled windows and now have full access to the other partitions.

TRENDING THREADS