Annoying button appears on taskbar.

We have WindowsXP

We have just bought some new backup software which works fine.

However an annoying button shortcut sometimes appears on the taskbar when
the computer is turned on each morning.

Of course we get rid of it by deleting its entry in the task manager, but
can someone help us with a way to keep it out of the task manager
permanently.

Pleae help, Frank
2 answers Last reply
More about annoying button appears taskbar

    Frank Martin wrote:

    > We have WindowsXP
    >
    > We have just bought some new backup software which works fine.
    >
    > However an annoying button shortcut sometimes appears on the taskbar
    > when the computer is turned on each morning.
    >
    > Of course we get rid of it by deleting its entry in the task manager,
    > but can someone help us with a way to keep it out of the task manager
    > permanently.
    >
    > Pleae help, Frank

    Start the backup software program and look for Preferences or Options
    and see if you can tell it not to start with Windows. If there is
    nothing in the program itself (unlikely), then use the System
    Configuration Utility:

    Go to Start>Run and type (without quotes) "msconfig" [enter]. This
    brings up the System Configuration Utility. Look on the Startup tab and
    find the probable culprit. Uncheck the box next to its name, Apply and
    OK out. You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do
    you'll get a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Just tick the box
    that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Many thanks; the msconfig thing fixed it straight away.
    Regards Frank

    > Frank Martin wrote:
    >
    >> We have WindowsXP
    >>
    >> We have just bought some new backup software which works fine.
    >>
    >> However an annoying button shortcut sometimes appears on the taskbar
    >> when the computer is turned on each morning.
    >>
    >> Of course we get rid of it by deleting its entry in the task manager,
    >> but can someone help us with a way to keep it out of the task manager
    >> permanently.
    >>
    >> Pleae help, Frank
    >
    > Start the backup software program and look for Preferences or Options
    > and see if you can tell it not to start with Windows. If there is
    > nothing in the program itself (unlikely), then use the System
    > Configuration Utility:
    >
    > Go to Start>Run and type (without quotes) "msconfig" [enter]. This
    > brings up the System Configuration Utility. Look on the Startup tab and
    > find the probable culprit. Uncheck the box next to its name, Apply and
    > OK out. You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do
    > you'll get a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Just tick the box
    > that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com