super777

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
There is a thread similar to this, but I dont want to steal it...sooo:

About a year ago, I upgraded from a 5400 rpm ATA hdd, to a 7200 ATA 8mb cache hdd. I didn't notice a difference in the loading times. I know that there was one, but I didnt feel it.

I'm finally building a new pc at the end of this month (been workin on it for months), and I have decided to get 2 150gb 10k rpm 16mb cache raptors, and configure them in RAID 0. My question is, do you think that i'll notice a difference? I didn't notice one on the previous upgrade...

oh and YES, I KNOW THAT THERE WILL BE A DIFFERENCE...just not sure if it'll be that noticeable.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
yes, a raptor will feel faster than a 7200, (particularly for use as an OS hdd, where quick file accessing can make a difference)... even when its limited to something as low as ~30MB/s (such as over usb 2.0 externally), the 8ms access times can be thanked for that... ...for gaming though, the load time differences wont be substantial over a current 7200, faster yes, but not substantial... ...its best to read a few different articles online about raid 0 for gaming too, if youre positive about wanting it... you may be suprised at the results.

(i wouldnt recommend running your OS over usb 2.0 though anyhow, the pauses in loading are kindof annoying, but for general accessing of files its fine)